Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Trouble keeping pitts stile muffler tight

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Trouble keeping pitts stile muffler tight

Old 09-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Like so many things these days, I have learned to never say never when it comes to vendors. One day one of them might be the single source left providing what I want so while I may strain a relationship from time to time, I try not to ever burn the bridge.

I have witnessed Jtec evolve through the years and while I wouldn't have bought some of their products in years past, today I find what I purchase from them quite serviceable and fairly priced. Within the last year I had them custom build a couple of mufflers for me and I was very pleased with the workmanship and overall quality. Just a few years ago I wouldn't have had them do the work as I had the shop then and would have fabricated them myself but no more shop to work in these days. Sad!

While we certainly had a larger variety of vendors to choose from in past years, then as now there was also a lot of junk on the market. I don't remember a time when I didn't have to study what was available and pick and choose from those products. Thinking about it a bit, not really all that much different then to now.

Last edited by Truckracer; 09-29-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:55 AM
slipknot 26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the Original Wrap around was a J-Tec. No Strap. I replaced it with the Bisson Wrap around Pitts W/Strap. It's insane to not wan't to upgrade a product that needs it, Why would'nt he add a threaded stud for the customer to apply a strap? Instead just flatly deny to add a clearly needed part to one of his products. get yourself this muffler, Same price and comes with the strap and smoke nipple.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bisson.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	2036284  
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Smoking Loon

Thanks slipnot 26 for pointing out the vibration factor. I enjoy learning something new every day. What do the capital letters signify?
Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems everyone has this problem. Just don't tie the muffler off to the airframe! I have seen that promoted before!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:09 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Here is what I did with my DLE and Side Mount JTecPitts Muffler; I welded some braces and have the strap that supports the can mounted to one of the Standoff Bolts, not the Airframe; the Engine and Airframe vibrate differently; I also used Wedge/Nord Loc washers.

Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2014, 11:07 AM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

There's no reason to not use the wedgelock/Nord Lock washers, they perform the same function as safety wiring. No full-sized engine exhaust uses non-locking hardware, they are secured in some manner and there's no reason model engine mufflers shouldn't be. Spring washers of questionable quality are not a good solution.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is why it is so great that they offer the rear exhaust engines now. No need to even bother with the blasted pitts muffler. But for those stuck with the old side exhaust offerings................
Old 10-04-2014, 02:59 PM
CRG

Sounds like you guys are mixing muffler types.

Inverted Wraparound Muffler:

Pitts-Style Muffler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	inverted wrap.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2037193   Click image for larger version

Name:	pitts-style.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2037194  
Old 10-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Truckracer

Different companies call the same muffler by different names. Either style would be considered a Pitts style and of course the top one is a wraparound. So everybody is right .......

The wraparound style has the most unsupported weight and can benefit from a strap between the far end of the muffler can and the engine.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 PM
CRG

Unfortunately some of the companies are incorrect in their labeling. Pitts-style mufflers are specific to side-mounted engines, such as needed in aircraft like the Pitts Special, to keep the cylinder head in the cowl. An inverted engine would use a wraparound, side or rear-mount muffler.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by CRG
Unfortunately some of the companies are incorrect in their labeling. Pitts-style mufflers are specific to side-mounted engines, such as needed in aircraft like the Pitts Special, to keep the cylinder head in the cowl. An inverted engine would use a wraparound, side or rear-mount muffler.
Well sir that is your interpretation. I doubt there is a definition published anywhere as to exactly what each style of muffler is called. That's why companies publish photos with their product description so we know what we are getting. Wrap around Pitts has become a fairly common name for a specific product style so I doubt it will be going away anytime soon. I can deal with that, have for years and know exactly what is being talked about when the term is used.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:45 PM
CRG

Just three examples below. The term has become diluted to mean anything with a can, but this used to not be the case. Too late to stop it now I imagine, but it's unfortunate that when 'Pitts' is used so universally there is no way to know what is meant.

Some companies call every in-cowl muffler they have a 'Pitts muffler' only, that distinction alone is useless.

http://www.jtecrc.com/pittsstylemufflers.htm
http://www.espritmodel.com/pitts-style-mufflers.aspx
http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo..._Mufflers.html
Old 10-05-2014, 07:06 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to add to the mess most of our "MUFFLERS" are not really mufflers just "Can" diverters as they have little in the way of internal components to change the pressure wave.

Just my understanding of Mufflers

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-08-2014, 03:53 PM
rzingsheim
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the description CRG provided, what I have is a J-tec inverted wraparound muffler (can). I've done as many have suggested. I deep sixed the gasket. Used a flat sharpening stone to flatten both the engine flange as well as the muffler face, put Permatex "Copper" rtv between them for a gasket. Red lock tite on the muffler bolts with regular lock washers and wire tied them together. I did not go with the extra support bracket as some mentioned, I'm going to see how this works. Haven't flown or run it yet, the weather here in Wisconsin has been uncooperative. I'll let you know after I try it. Hoping to get some flights on it yet this season. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:41 PM
YUKON BOB
My Feedback: (131)

The method I have always used with success is to use a gasket and torque the muffler mount bolts on the engine cold.
Then run the engine on the ground long enough to get it to normal operating temperature. Shut it down and retorque the muffler bolts
while the engine is still warm to hot. I have done this on my DA50, DA100's, DLE 20, DLE 55, DLE 111,DLE 120's. When it comes time to remove the bolts, I again have to run the engine to get it to normal temperature and shut it down and remove bolts while engine is still warm to hot.
I hope along with all the other great ideas work for you on your engine.