Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

OS gas glow plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 AM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS gas glow plug

Browsing the new MAN and there was an advertisement for an OS 15cc gas engine that uses a gas glow plug. I think this is something new(I've never heard of it before). Tower lists the Type 5 gas glow plug for $12.98 and it's due in Mid October .Anyone have knowledge of this plug? I wonder if it will fit my DLE 20?
Frank
Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

It has a 1/4 by 32 thread.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:36 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Norvel has a GX .40 that uses an OS Turbo style P3 I think plug. It is a very hot plug. I t may be a bit less money and do pretty much the same thing. It is a metric thread. 8mm. x .75. It would still need an adapter.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:08 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
Norvel has a GX .40 that uses an OS Turbo style P3 I think plug. It is a very hot plug. I t may be a bit less money and do pretty much the same thing. It is a metric thread. 8mm. x .75. It would still need an adapter.
They engine made the plug that way so you would need to buy their own OS brand $$$$$$ Typical for Hobby parts providers.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:34 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the exact status of these gasoline glow plug setups that are coming out, but when they first started with their "teaser" ads, you had to use their (OS) specific and quite expensive oil to get proper performance. I'll stick with the Gas/Glow system we developed, or regular ignition myself.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engi...-glow-how.html

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 10-11-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The OS GGT series engines that burn gasoline using a glow plug run regular 50:1 gasoline/oil mix. No mention of special oil in the current literature listed on Tower's website. The Enya 180GX gasoline glow engine requires a special oil that so far as I can tell must be ordered directly from Enya in Japan or from a distributor. The gasoline glow engines being relatively new are expensive - $400 for a .91 2-cycle! Being that OS is as proud of their stuff as they are, glow plugs at $12-15/ea is a bit steep.

Enya now sells a protruded nose 4-cycle plug that's hotter than the OS F plug. The price is pretty competitive too so the gas/glow conversion guys have another highly reputable glow plug to use instead of the 'gold standard' OS regime stuff.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:15 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if the fact that the plug sticks out further into the head makes them fire more efficiently. Being right close to the piston maybe, as well as super hot. I don't really mind the cost of glow fuel, as I normally fly .15 to .46 size stuff, but the cost is the oil mostly, as well as nitro to a smaller degree. I thing a small needle bearing on the rod is the best upgrade to using less oil, maybe a new oil too, as Enya seems to think is the answer.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking they lowered the compression ratio to prevent gasoline preignition, pinging. In doing so, there is now a gap at TDC so they made the plug stick down into this new gap. Just speculation. Anyone know the thread on the new OS MG 2714 gas glo plug?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:12 PM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

I just got the new glow plug and am going to try it in a Ryobi 31 I have an adapter and yes it sticks out a little past the end of the adapter It uses a copper crush washer under the glow plug I didn't use it I will see how it works this weekend and let you all know michael
Old 01-15-2015, 04:23 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

If you must leave the crush ring off I would recommend using some locking agent on the glow plug . The different expansion rates of the materials and harmonics may allow the glow plug to loosen.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 PM
captinjohn

I don't need the Internet, my wife knows everything. Pretty funny stuff right there !
Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Pull Up Now!

be careful the piston doesn't hit it. Probably won't on a Ryobi. The main danger is with a glo-type engine where the piston crush distance is tiny.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM
michael wood

Gentleman I have good news for all IT WORKS. I used A Ryobi 31cc engine that I had set up with electronic ignition and tried to start it like normal choke on throttle opened up till it started choke opened throttle opened 1/4 flipped A couple of times and it ran backwards choked it to stop the engine had to do this a few till it ran right it had old fuel in the tank but it ran good no misses from idle to wide open 1800rpm to 7500rpmit would probably start better with fresh gas Michael
Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 PM
dirtybird

Its not a new idea.When glow plugs first appeared you could buy a fuel that was mostly gasoline with a small amount of alcohol to keep the plug hot. It died because in those days nitro was cheap and you could get more power from a alcohol/castor/nitro mix
Old 01-18-2015, 05:51 AM
Pull Up Now!

Maybe the concept of ditching the ignition system isn't new, but I think there is something different about these glow plugs. I'd be curious to know the compression ratio of the new OS ignition-less engines. Another thing, and this is probably discoverable just by downloading the OS manual, is their fuel recommendtion. Do they recomment the gas, for example, use an ethanol blend? That would be a clue that the glow plug uses a platiunum catalyst concept. The next test woulld be for someone who owns one of these OS gas glo engines to just try a normal glow plug and see what happens.

Once we understand the engineering behind the OS engine and glo plug, we can reapply it and get around their rediculously high cost.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:58 AM
av8tor1977

Only methanol has a catalytic reaction with platinum, not the ethanol found in todays gasoline. We did a lot of experimenting with what we called "Gas/Glow", whereby we mixed 33% glow fuel with gasoline. That worked really well. A few tried to use gasoline, or E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. The only way to get the engines to run smoothly and reliably with the gasoline or ethanol was with full time glow heat. (glow plug hooked to a battery) That did work however, which makes me wonder if the "fix" is just a much hotter than normal glow plug.

Here's the Gas/Glow system we invented that worked without glow heat:

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 01-18-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:36 PM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
Only methanol has a catalytic reaction with platinum, not the ethanol found in todays gasoline. We did a lot of experimenting with what we called "Gas/Glow", whereby we mixed 33% glow fuel with gasoline. That worked really well. A few tried to use gasoline, or E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. The only way to get the engines to run smoothly and reliably with the gasoline or ethanol was with full time glow heat. (glow plug hooked to a battery) That did work however, which makes me wonder if the "fix" is just a much hotter than normal glow plug.

AV8TOR
It seems to me you have came up basically with what was available in the late '40's except in those days they had a lot more oil.
I remember reading about control line team racers using it because the tank size was limited and it meant they had to land less times to refuel.
Have you tried this on small engines that are available today with needle bearings on the rod?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 PM
captinjohn

Originally Posted by av8tor1977

A link to a good starting gas/glow engine...1 gal of glow fuel mixed with 2 gal of gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85M0Rq1TKE ...Mb290 Mac engine

AV8TOR
[QUOTE=av8tor1977;11964134]Only methanol has a catalytic reaction with platinum, not the ethanol found in todays gasoline. We did a lot of experimenting with what we called "Gas/Glow", whereby we mixed 33% glow fuel with gasoline. That worked really well. A few tried to use gasoline, or E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. The only way to get the engines to run smoothly and reliably with the gasoline or ethanol was with full time glow heat. (glow plug hooked to a battery) That did work however, which makes me wonder if the "fix" is just a much hotter than normal glow plug.

A link to a good starting gas/glow engine...1 gal of glow fuel mixed with 2 gal of gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85M0Rq1TKE ...Mb290 Mac engine
Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 PM
av8tor1977

Originally Posted by dirtybird
It seems to me you have came up basically with what was available in the late '40's except in those days they had a lot more oil.
I remember reading about control line team racers using it because the tank size was limited and it meant they had to land less times to refuel.
Have you tried this on small engines that are available today with needle bearings on the rod?
Keith at BME engines converted a Super Tiger .90 to needle bearings on the rod for me, and I ran that on Gas/Glow for years. Worked great.

AV8TOR
Old 01-19-2015, 05:09 AM
michael wood

Well I flew my USS this weekend with the new plug and it worked good. The engine started backwards A few times but other then that it ran great. Now all I have to do is find someone that makes adapters
Old 01-19-2015, 06:26 AM
captinjohn

+1
Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I have a converted ST 3200. Already has a Walbro carb. and 1/4x32 threads. I'm going to order one of those plugs to get rid of the old ProSpark ignition that came with it.

Last edited by ec121; 01-20-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:23 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

To anyone who has made the change from a synchrospark type ignition (rcxcel,CH ,etc) to the OS gas glow plug would you post some before and after readings on changes in thrust , rpm's, fuel consumption engine temps etc..
I am considering making this change on a DLE 30 or a ROTO 35VI but I would like some input from others who have already made the changes on similar size engines.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Pull Up Now!

This would be a good time for a word of caution to those ditching their ignition systems for a gas-glo plug. The auto-retard-on-start firmware in CDI boxes has made hand flip-starting pretty safe. No bone-crushing kickbacks of the prop. It seems to me that the safety margin for a gas engine running with a gas-glo plug is naturally reduced. So watch your fingers!

I don't actually see the advantage of converting a large cc gasser anyway. Most of them come with the ignition box included at almost throwaway prices. On the other hand (with all it's fingers...) with the smaller gasoline engines like we're seeing lately, that would go on a smaller airplane, the advantage of not carrying a big extra ignition box & battery is obvious.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I agree. Anything over 20cc doesn't need the mod. I'm using the Supertigre 3200 because it already has the gas conversion plus the small threads. It was given to me so no great loss if it doesn't work. If it runs, I'll look for a plane to put it on. I also have an Evolution 10cc that would be good to try it on. Only problem there is that their recommended 20-1 mixture might foul the plug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.