Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:58 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition battery

Can your elec ignition and your rx share a battery? Dont think the ign uses much power but was afraid of noise frequencies interfering with thethe signal from thethe trans. Will ita work?f
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Lots of guys are doing just this. Some use just a simple diode in line to reduce voltage, some just a regulator. Some and myself included use an IBEC. The one I suggest is made by Tech Aero. This unit allows you to shut down the voltage via TX and has noise suppression filters. Even comes with a very bright LED that gets mounted where it is visible so you can see when your ignition has voltage.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jefflangton
Can your elec ignition and your rx share a battery? Dont think the ign uses much power but was afraid of noise frequencies interfering with thethe signal from thethe trans. Will ita work?f
Yes it will work. Would I want it to work that way ? " NO " !

I believe in separate batteries for ignition and rx, with no sharing.

Thinking everybody will most likely agree with me. Well, not everybody, but maybe about 99.9%............. LOL...........
Old 10-13-2014, 01:21 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

I agree no sharing. To much chance of something going wrong.....RON
Old 10-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I like the Tech Aero IBEC as suggested by Speedracer. Going on three seasons using several of them with zero problems.

Was a die hard separate ignition battery guy until I tried my first IBEC .... now a convert.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Lots of guys are doing just this. Some use just a simple diode in line to reduce voltage, some just a regulator. Some and myself included use an IBEC. The one I suggest is made by Tech Aero. This unit allows you to shut down the voltage via TX and has noise suppression filters. Even comes with a very bright LED that gets mounted where it is visible so you can see when your ignition has voltage.
Wow ! I guess I am really falling behind the times. Have never even seen one of these IBEC's on any of the planes that club members have, at the two clubs I belong to. Guess, they are falling behind also .......... LOL
Old 10-13-2014, 04:30 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I use one battery, and have for quite a while now. I don't use an IBEC either, as everything I'm flying can handle the 6.6v coming from the LiFe/A123 battery packs I use as is, without stepping it down. There's no voltage regulation necessary to eliminate the second battery...

I use an Rcexl opto switch, as do many others. The fact it's made by the same people that make the majority of ign. modules shouldn't be ignored.

There's nothing unusual about this set up. A LOT of guys are flying it...
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 AM
pilotpete2

Granpooba,
I think the Rutland gang is in a rut
Those of us who fly gas over here in the North East Kingdom area of Vermont all use IBEC's, that is all four of us!
You have a beautiful field there in Rutland
Pete
Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tech Aero IBEC.

AV8TOR
Old 10-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Checklst

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I like the Tech Aero IBEC as suggested by Speedracer. Going on three seasons using several of them with zero problems.

Was a die hard separate ignition battery guy until I tried my first IBEC .... now a convert.
+1 on the IBEC.........been using them on all 5 gas planes now for years with no problems at all.........that does not mean it won't/can't bite me in the future, but for now I am thinking the IBEC is just as reliable as adding another switch and battery.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:53 PM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the space and can carry a few extra ounces use two batteries. LiPo /LiFe/A123 packs are small and light.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:05 PM
pilotpete2

Yes, in larger models two batteries are a good idea for redundancy, so if i do it use two batteries they both feed the reciever and ignition.
With the classic two battery setup, one for ignition and one for receiver you have no redundancy for your reciever, and worst case if the reciever battery or switch fails open you have an uncontrolled model with the engine still running. In the single battery and IBEC setup if you have a battery or switch failure the engine at least quits. With dual batteries and switches and IBEC you have a safer setup in my opinion
Pete
Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Probably hundreds, maybe thousands of these in use........you will have to search long & hard to find anything negative ......from those actually using them.......
Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I used 2 batteries but was burning up ignition modules with the 7.2 v A123 batteries. Started using the RcXel IBEC and have had zero problems. But I only switched over a couple of months ago.
Syssa Aircraft has one that reduces the voltage to the ignition down to 5.1v. The voltage to the receiver is not affected. I use 2300 mah A123 batteries. The IBEC eliminates several points of potential failure, the weight and expense of a separate battery pack, and the hassle of maintaining and charging 2 batteries.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by Red Raider
I used 2 batteries but was burning up ignition modules with the 7.2 v A123 batteries. Started using the RcXel IBEC and have had zero problems. But I only switched over a couple of months ago.
Syssa Aircraft has one that reduces the voltage to the ignition down to 5.1v. The voltage to the receiver is not affected. I use 2300 mah A123 batteries. The IBEC eliminates several points of potential failure, the weight and expense of a separate battery pack, and the hassle of maintaining and charging 2 batteries.
Last I knew, Syssa was selling the Tech Aero IBEC.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:45 AM
prr6100

3200 mah LiFe with a DLE 20, has worked great all summer, powers both engine and receiver
Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 AM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Using the KISS method here. 1 2500 A123, 2 leads, 1 lead to the RCVR through a switch, the other lead to ignition through a Rcexl opto switch controled by the RCVR. Been using it for a couple years now and at least 100 flights. No fuss, no muss, no problems, not even a hint of interference. Battle tested to the max on a high performance profile.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
ahicks

Truckracer-
The directions that come with the Rcexl opto switch show how it can be converted to eliminate the need for a separate battery lead. Direction .pdf included, chinglish terrible, go to the bottom of the directions and look at the before and after pics. Basically, all it does is switch it over so it's powered by the same lead that's used to turn it on and off. There's other ways of doing the same thing pretty easily as well.

Also, Valley View sells the Rcexl switches with a BEC. I don't know if they are doing that same mod in house, having them done, or have found a source for them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rcexlkill switch.pdf (202.6 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by ahicks; 10-15-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by ahicks
Truckracer-
The directions that come with the Rcexl opto switch show how it can be converted to eliminate the need for a separate battery lead. Direction .pdf included, chinglish terrible, go to the bottom of the directions and look at the before and after pics. Basically, all it does is switch it over so it's powered by the same lead that's used to turn it on and off. There's other ways of doing the same thing pretty easily as well.

Also, Valley View sells the Rcexl switches with a BEC. I don't know if they are doing that same mod in house, having them done, or have found a source for them.
I had seen that modification before somewhere. Made sense though as all that needed to be done was to get power from the receiver lead to the power input connection.

I've stayed with the Tech Aero unit though. It was a hard sell for me to try the first one as I was a serious "separate battery" sort of guy coming from the old school days. I only tried the TA then because the success stories were so "glowing with praise" and hardly a real failure in sight. I also liked the voltage regulation, overcurrent protection, isolation and filtering the TA unit provides. Will probably stick with these units until something better comes along.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:04 PM
ahicks

Truckracer, I get it. Not trying to sell you one! I just thought you might like to know a little more about it. -Al
Old 10-15-2014, 05:29 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

+ 1 on the Tech Aero IBEC, I got my first one on my Citabria build, so far I'm happy with it, my other gasser the Gee Bee Y 27% is build the old ways ( two battts, two switches + a batt sear thing for the receiver, separated batt and switch for the ing, opt kill switch, and everthing separaded about 20") that is for my first gas aiplane, for my second gas airplane the Citabria I decided to go the simple and newer way to set up a gas airplane.

Thanks speedracerntrixier for recomending the unit.

Last edited by CARS II; 10-15-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Last I knew, Syssa was selling the Tech Aero IBEC.
Thanks Truckracer. I didn't know that it was the Tech Aero. I really like this unit. Same price as the Rcxel from Valley View. Seems to be a much more robust and technically superior unit.
SS
Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Being new to gas, I never experienced any of the legacy NiCd or NiMH cell failing issues and am very comfortable with LiPo and LiFe reliability so I didn't think twice about combining power source for both receiver and ignition. I use the TechAero Ultra IBEC in all my gas planes, powered by LiFe packs. In 2 planes, I have the Spektrum PowerSafe receiver which supports dual power sources for both redundancy and the added benefit of extending the run time via parallel operation. Works great!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 AM
PiperDriver
My Feedback: (152)

Tech Aero IBEC on three planes with Fromco's... great settup.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:27 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the tech aero unit on three airplanes and it works fine for me. It allows me to use one battery for both the radio and ignition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.