Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Wow ! I guess I am really falling behind the times. Have never even seen one of these IBEC's on any of the planes that club members have, at the two clubs I belong to. Guess, they are falling behind also .......... LOL
We're not THAT far behind!
I have been using an IBEC in my Pilot SBach for two years...
Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dryverman
We're not THAT far behind!
I have been using an IBEC in my Pilot SBach for two years...
Guess it just goes to show how far I am " personally " behind the times. Did not even realize that you were flying IBEC's. But then again, I still like the idea of one battery for each system. So what does that have to say for myself ? Well, I guess it says, I will stay behind the times ! LOL With all the new technology that I am seeing in this world of ours, I can not honestly say that it is all for the good.

But 2 batteries plus an IBEC sounds good to me . Ohhhhhhhhhhh wait, that would involve more technology.

Last edited by Granpooba; 10-16-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotpete2
Granpooba,
I think the Rutland gang is in a rut
Those of us who fly gas over here in the North East Kingdom area of Vermont all use IBEC's, that is all four of us!
You have a beautiful field there in Rutland
Pete
Naw, can not really say the " OLD " gang is in a rut. Been some talk about making it into a " Assisted Retirement Club ", same as Assisted Living, but not in that RUT yet !!! Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 10-16-2014, 05:34 PM
RCRON
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen to that, If you want to take a big chance and lose an airplane and maybe hurt someone use one battery. Myself I would not even think of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:10 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

RCRON,
Whether you're familiar or not, a LOT of guys are flying with one battery, and quite frankly, it's not like you hear about a lot of them falling out of the sky.....
Maybe you know enough guys that have experienced problems flying with one battery, that have lost planes, to make you want to make a statement like that?

If we were talking about a glow powered plane, would you have the same opinion? Many have been flying those on one battery without incident for quite some time - even the largest ones?

I'm fine with the idea of you using as many batteries as you like. I'm just not real crazy about being accused of taking big chances or potentially endangering people because I fly with one. The technology to fly with one has been around awhile now.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Checklst

Originally Posted by ahicks
RCRON,
Whether you're familiar or not, a LOT of guys are flying with one battery, and quite frankly, it's not like you hear about a lot of them falling out of the sky.....
Maybe you know enough guys that have experienced problems flying with one battery, that have lost planes, to make you want to make a statement like that?

If we were talking about a glow powered plane, would you have the same opinion? Many have been flying those on one battery without incident for quite some time - even the largest ones?

I'm fine with the idea of you using as many batteries as you like. I'm just not real crazy about being accused of taking big chances or potentially endangering people because I fly with one. The technology to fly with one has been around awhile now.
I agree I don't mind if people use one batt, I have flown since 1988 on 2 batts 2 switch into the buss of the receiver. I did it because back in the day to loose a plane that took 3 months to build was a pain in the backside, if you lost it due to a bad switch(in 1988 we did not have as good selection of switches as we do today)

Just last week I flew with one batt one switch and did not fall out of the sky........I thrashed my 540 3D setup to the max(high rates) landed and discovered I forgot to turn on the second Batt/switch.....sheeese this getting old is a Pain, but seriously the odds were still vary low of a switch or battery failure.

Good luck

Last edited by Checklst; 10-17-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Need some advice, will be converting 3 gas planes with EI to a 1 switch and I Li-fe battery system this winter, These planes were on 2 or even 3 switch and ni-cad battery set-ups before. However, I already have Smart-Fly opto kill switches in them. Can I switch to 1 battery for receiver and ignition without replacing the smart-fly with an IBEC? Is there some effective noise filter needed or even available to put between the battery and the ignition side of the smart-fly? I may just be confusing myself here?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Maybe you are confusing yourself, If this is the unit that you have ( Ignition Cutoff for Single Receiver Setups ) https://www.smart-fly.com/Products/I...n/ignition.htm, then I think you already have what you are looking for including the optical isolation, the specs for the ing cut off are, 4.0V to 8.5V, the 2 cells LI-FE batts are 6.6V and will peak to around 7.2V when fully charged.

If I was doing this, and I am because the Aero-Tech IBEC that I have on my Citabria can be regulated to 5.1V, 5.3V, 6.1V and 6.6V. I choose to keep it at 5.1V just in case the batt voltage drops, but I could regulate it to 6.6V to run stright from the receiver LI-FE batt.

If i'm wrong please someone correct me.

Thanks

[TABLE="class: ms-color2-main, width: 1, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: ms-color2-top"]
Features
[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-top, width: 213, bgcolor: maroon"]
Transmitter
[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-top, width: 213, bgcolor: maroon"]
Receiver
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Optical Isolation[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Small: 1.65" x .865" x .375"[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Small: 1.65" x .865" x .375"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Physical Isolation[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• 4.0V to 8.5V operating range[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• 4.0V to 8.5V operating range[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Single receiver[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Low Power Consumption[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Low Power Consumption[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"][/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Low weight: 0.3 oz[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Low weight: 0.3 oz[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Universal Connectors, 10”[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Universal Connectors, 6”[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• Compatible with all receivers[/TD]
[TD="class: ms-color2-even, width: 213, bgcolor: #FFFFEF"]• 4A Current Capacity[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by CARS II; 10-17-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 AM
k3 valley flyer

Thanks for the reply, I know one of my engines ignition modules will require a lower voltage than the 6.6 to 7.2 of the Li-fe battery, the other two will be fine. My real concern is that if I use one battery with one switch that has dual receiver power leads (ED Ultra switch) then Smart -fly warns I will have a common ground lead back from the ignition module through the ignition side of the Smart-fly to the switch and receiver and battery. Is that only an issue if the module should fail, or will the noise from a bad plug overwhelm the 2.4 receiver? I think a lot of people have tried this with no issues, but what I understand of electronics ends at the on off switch and some companies this will be ok while others say NO!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 PM
RiverLarry

A IBEC from Tech aero 2 123 battery and 1 HD switch from electric dynamics for that set up and don't look back

or if you fly J/R or Spk. a 2 battery R/X with a soft switch and don't look back R/L
Old 10-17-2014, 01:50 PM
k3 valley flyer

Will probably go that way as the IBEC from Tech Aero and the cost of a second battery for the ignition is the same. May as well go the simple route, but that gives me 3 perfectly good Smart-fly opto kill switches I won't need.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:40 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Sell, sell, sell and don't look back