Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mintor 22 Piston

Old 10-27-2014, 06:10 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will soon be making another piston for a Mintor 33 engine maybe 2 Anyhow I contacted Frank Bowman for a new ring as per the customers request and Frank told me that he has quit making rings for this line of engine's due to the poor fit of the piston to cylinder.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberwolf
I will soon be making another piston for a Mintor 33 engine maybe 2 Anyhow I contacted Frank Bowman for a new ring as per the customers request and Frank told me that he has quit making rings for this line of engine's due to the poor fit of the piston to cylinder.
Frank told me the same after he made a ring for my 22cc engine. I wish he would at least try. If the ring he made was going in a engine with a good fit to the cylinder there should be no problem. He did also say people that did not pay for the rings that he made for them in another country...he was done making rings for anyone in that country.

He did keep the Mintor22 ring from my engine. I do have a Bowman ring for a 22cc engine. It would not fit the updated piston that Mintor redone. It has real good compression now with all Mintor parts. Anyway he could make a ring if he really wanted to help.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hopefully you both can work something out.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM
lomcevac540T
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you can find one, but will the stock ring work with your new piston? I have made several pistons for Briggs engines back when I was racing go carts and we could get almost any size ring we wanted from Wiseco. I don't know if that could be a source or not.
I will be sending my 33 later this week.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using Caber rings. They are the most popular aftermarket ring for chainsaws and yard equipment. They are made in Italy.

They are available from many USA sources.

http://www.caberpistonrings.com/
Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 AM
Cyberwolf

Yes the stock ring will work, I can configure the locking pin to any position that's needed to fit the ring.
Mr Bowman sent me a list of dimensions to compare what I have against. With myself having something to measure with other than a yard stick, I may get Frank to make me some rings, he hasn't said one way or another yet.
The 33 I received had a ring where the locking pin should have been located in a different place, as luck would have it ,the engine was never ran so no damage was sustained. This engine was assembled for an upgrade by a supposedly professional shop, they also said the engine was ran and everything was fine. It makes a person wonder just what sort of service there actually getting when one sends in an engine doesn't it.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Cyberwolf

I hope I did these right, Anyway here is the next 22 Mintor piston I made, I need to make at least one more 22. I hope the shots are somewhat clearer than the others I didAs soon as I get the lock pins it will be ready to ship. The material should be here tomorrow for the 33's but I am going fishing so I won't get started until Thursday unless I decide to go back *LOL*
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mintor -2-1.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2042895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mintor -2-2.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2042896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mintor -2 Piston.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2042897  
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM
karolh

What rings will you be fitting to the new pistons and are the weights of the stock pistons and the ones you machine the same ?

Sure hope that you have much better luck fishing than you had on your recent hunting expedition ..... Lol.

Last edited by karolh; 10-28-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:56 PM
captinjohn

Somebody said fishing ! Check this out. http://rodriftboats.com/Ro-Video.html#
Old 10-28-2014, 06:08 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by captinjohn
Frank told me the same after he made a ring for my 22cc engine. I wish he would at least try. If the ring he made was going in a engine with a good fit to the cylinder there should be no problem. He did also say people that did not pay for the rings that he made for them in another country...he was done making rings for anyone in that country.

He did keep the Mintor22 ring from my engine. I do have a Bowman ring for a 22cc engine. It would not fit the updated piston that Mintor redone. It has real good compression now with all Mintor parts. Anyway he could make a ring if he really wanted to help.
Of course Frank could make a ring if he really wanted to but he doesn't want to.Don't blame him,I wouldn't want to get into this bag of worms either.
BCCHI
Old 10-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Cyberwolf

I never weighed them, I did think about it, but really who cares as long as it works.
As far as rings, your guess is as good as mine, for my own engine's if push come to shove I will make my own, if Frank doesn't make them.
Lucky for me I don't own one of these fine BA and so far I have not had an issue getting rings from Frank in the past.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Cyberwolf

Frank already got into the bag of worms trying to fit his rings to a slopy fitting piston the factory made.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:32 AM
Cyberwolf

I went out and weighed my piston against the new Mintor piston this morning, they were the same weight gram for gram. I knew they would have to be close and even if they were off slightly,it wouldn't be enough to harm the balance any.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 PM
captinjohn

The Mintor 22cc engine I have works good on the Pro 260. Maybe too much power as high speeds will take it out of site fast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1187.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	797.5 KB
ID:	2043401  
Old 10-31-2014, 06:14 AM
captinjohn

Originally Posted by karolh
What rings will you be fitting to the new pistons and are the weights of the stock pistons and the ones you machine the same ?

Sure hope that you have much better luck fishing than you had on your recent hunting expedition ..... Lol.
Karol, have you had a chance to run your Mintor 22cc engine yet?
Old 10-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Cyberwolf

Yes the fishing trip went much smoother than the hunting trip did, I didn't even have to fix a flat recharge a dead battery or rebuild an

engine or nothing. Oh and lets not forget dragging a unit up a 45 degree grade for a couple hundred feet or so. Makes a man unhealthy mad and tired all at once.*L* That's after you get it unwrapped from around a tree, honest it Makes one really want to forget they have a weapon with them *LOL* and oh so temping to just hop on the quad and go back to the truck
And by gosh I did catch a fish even,nothing to brag on about 31/2-4 lbs high bread rainbow. I may run back up if the weather will stay somewhat decent. I get cold easy in my old age just standing or sitting.

Back to subject at hand I started a 33 piston and was hoping it would be done today, but I runded out of poop so maybe tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:53 PM
karolh

Karol, have you had a chance to run your Mintor 22cc engine yet?
Now that it's finished and the Mintor 22 has been returned to me by Cyberwolf who did some really outstanding work in machining and fitting a correctly sized piston including installing a Bowman ring for me, I am very happy camper. To say that I am pleased with the end result is an understatement as I believe that I now have an engine that will give me many hours of trouble free running, as the dreaded Mintor rattle is a thing of the past. The engine has good compression, excellent fuel draw and starts just as easily hot or cold. So far I have kept the initial engine runs short and in the high idle to 4,500 rpm range and it is very smooth throughout it's rpm range and idles reliably at 2,000 rpm. I will not be doing any WOT testing until the engine loosens up but my gut feeling is that it's going to be a really good runner and that Richard has made me a winner.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Cyberwolf

Thank you Karol for the report, I am glad your happy with the engine.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:57 AM
karolh

Thank you Karol for the report, I am glad your happy with the engine.
Thank you for you kind assistance in turning a dud of an engine into a very nice running one.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 AM
captinjohn

I start my Mintor 22 about every day. It sure runs nice & wanted to fly today but the wind really came up & is changing directions. The sun is out but it is very cold with the wind. Ticks me off somewhat....Capt,n
Old 11-02-2014, 12:23 PM
bcchi

I start my Mintor 22 about every day. It sure runs nice & wanted to fly today but the wind really came up & is changing directions. The sun is out but it is very cold with the wind. Ticks me off somewhat....Capt,n
Got to fly yesterday,was out in short sleeves.Was 71F,no wind rain or snow.Today is about the same.I am back on a heavy antibotic so do not feel so good.Do not even feel like building.Mostly flying the two Valley View engines both doing good.
BCCHI AMA 2500
Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM
captinjohn

I am really glad for you Bill. If anyone deserves lots of good weather to fly, it is you. You done so much for this hobby, than anyone I know. Without the ignition systems you designed years ago this gas engine revolution for RC use would not advanced like it has. Keep flying as much as you can. Sure wanted to get out West this year...to many house repairs & health problems blew them plans. Maybe next year if we are still here on this earth. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 PM
bcchi

I am really glad for you Bill. If anyone deserves lots of good weather to fly, it is you. You done so much for this hobby, than anyone I know. Without the ignition systems you designed years ago this gas engine revolution for RC use would not advanced like it has. Keep flying as much as you can. Sure wanted to get out West this year...to many house repairs & health problems blew them plans. Maybe next year if we are still here on this earth. Best Regards Capt,n
Thank you,Bill Carpenter
BCCHI AMA 2500
Old 11-05-2014, 04:09 PM
captinjohn

I tried to make a fairly good video today flying the 260 with a Mintor22cc engine One did come out fair. It was only 47 degrees with a wind blowing. The only person to make the video was his first time using the camera, so we had to do some trial takes. About 5 ! This was not a well planed thing, just the spur of the moment towards the end of the day 11/5/2014 Will post it when the internet is working better. Thanks, Capt,n
Old 11-05-2014, 06:10 PM
captinjohn

Well here is the video we got made on this cold & winday day. 260 Pro with a 22cc Mintor engine. Capt,n

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=lJGaeZ7u5E4

Last edited by captinjohn; 11-05-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.