Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3-w 106 carb replacement

Old 11-11-2014, 06:17 PM
erna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-w 106 carb replacement

anyone know the number of the walbro carb to replace the tillotson.in the engine? The engine coughs in the air and somebody said to replace it with a walbro. Thanks for your help
Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I think you could order a replacement carb for a DA 100 or maybe even a 120 and it would physically fit. That being said I have had really good success with Tillotson carbs on 3W engines. It could simply need a rebuild kit or your cough may not be carb related at all. You could have either an ignition or ignition battery/switch issue. My suggestion would be to test your battery under load to make sure it's ok then run the test again through the switch. If that checks out ok, pull the covers off the carb and check that the diaphragm is not torn and then check the internal filter screen. While the carb is off I would clean all,passages with carb cleaner.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A spark plug that fails under compression will give you the same symptom. Dan
Old 11-12-2014, 02:10 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Good point Dan, it could cause a miss. For some reason or another I remember that the 106 would drop a cylinder if the idle was set too lean. First rule of troubleshooting, start with the easy stuff first. Guys don't like the Tillotson carbs because the needles overlap much more then on a Walbro. Truth is that once you get the hang of adjusting them you will find they are a better carb.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:25 AM
erna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the help guys, i'll see about keeping the carb on it and checking it out.