Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

carburator cleaningI

Old 11-29-2014, 05:45 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lever in my carb does not have a hole in it. Just an indention in it to hold the spring in place.Thats a good idea though. Im going to drill a small hole in it that I can stick a pin in
Old 11-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I've never found it difficult to install the metering lever. I just sit the carb body on the bench with the metering chamber facing up. Drop the needle and spring in their respective holes, gently lower the lever straight down on the spring while engaging the needle with the slot on the arm. Hold in place with a finger and install the screw. No force required. Once in awhile one will be stubborn then I just hold the spring compressed a bit with the point of an X-acto knife or something similar while installing the arm. Maybe I just have better finger dexterity than some but I really don't believe that is the case. I have certainly worked with many tiny things over the years though eyesight is becoming a limiting factor as I age.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 PM
dirtybird

Unfortunately I am blind in my left eye. Its abit more challenging for me. I have to line it up then swing it aroud 90 degrees and line it up again. Then I have to go back 90 degrees and recheck. A hole in the lever and a pin will make it a bit easier.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Truckracer

I completely understand the eyesight issue. Yes a tiny hole could be helpful for sure.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:20 PM
dirtybird

Well, I finally got the engine to run. But now it drips fuel from the carb. so I will have to go back in and tighten it up a bit. An I am going to have to reset the needles.
There seems to me there is a lot of slop in that fit between the level forks and that slot in the needle.The lever had to move quite a bit to lift the needle. I squeezed the forks together with the needle in place so the needle is captured in one place. It makes a bit more movement when the lever is stroked by the diaphragm.
I'd like to thank everyone for their help.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:42 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Dirty, that play in the lever is supposed to be there. The lever really does not pull the needle up from the seat. Rather it allows the fuel pressure to push the needle off its seat. Kind of the same but different. As I'm sure you are aware, the needle is now having its movement restricted to the point of not reaching the seat.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Dirty, that play in the lever is supposed to be there. The lever really does not pull the needle up from the seat. Rather it allows the fuel pressure to push the needle off its seat. Kind of the same but different. As I'm sure you are aware, the needle is now having its movement restricted to the point of not reaching the seat.
+1, dirtybird, don't close up that fork where it engages the needle valve! As speed said, it only has to hold the needle shut when required and allow it to open (not pull it open) when the lever removes the seat pressure as the diaphragm moves. At this point it sounds like you may need a new metering lever to get back to original configuration.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
+1, dirtybird, don't close up that fork where it engages the needle valve! As speed said, it only has to hold the needle shut when required and allow it to open (not pull it open) when the lever removes the seat pressure as the diaphragm moves. At this point it sounds like you may need a new metering lever to get back to original configuration.
Yep.

AV8TOR
Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 AM
dirtybird

OK I will just wait until I get the repair kit I ordered. It has all small parts and the tool to set them correctly
Old 12-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Truckracer

dirtybird, I'm not sure whether the kit will have a new arm or not. I have a good used one if you need it and would be glad to send it your way.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:56 PM
av8tor1977

I don't think I have ever seen one in a kit before. I too can send one if you need it.

AV8TOR
Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 AM
dirtybird

This is the kit I ordered but now it says sold out. I hope I got the last one. I will call and find out. It seems to have everything.

http://www.agaperacingandhobby.com/v...?productid=451

I called and got an answering machine. They might be closed for christmas vacationj.
I will sen you a pm with my address

Last edited by dirtybird; 12-04-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:50 AM
dirtybird

Here is a rebuild kit for only $5.
It too looks to me like it has all of the parts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBURETOR-R...item2c919b2803
Old 12-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Truckracer

Yes it looks like the kits will have the parts you need. I offered the used arm in case it wasn't included in the kit. Many people have helped me over the years and I just wanted to pass on the favor if needed.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 PM
dirtybird

I received the overhaul kit and installed it. I still had the same problem. I could choke it and get it started and it would just run out the charge.

Since I had thoroughly cleaned it and carefully installed new gaskets and metering lever I decided there must be something else wrong.
I attempted to clean out the pulse line. I squirted cleaner in the pulse line to the motor. There was no problem there. I then squirted cleaner and the pulse hole at the bottom of the carburetor and cleaner came out one side of the pump cover. Obviously there was a leak there. I removed the pump cover and found that part of the gasket between the motor and the carburetor had folded over and interfered with the pump cover gasket. I removed the extra gasket part and re sealed the pump cover.
The motor finally started and ran normally. But I will have to reset the needles.
This had apparently been the problem all the time. When I removed the pump cover to clean the debris out of the screen area and then reinstalled the pump cover part of the motor carburetor gasket got caught between the pump cover and is gasket and created an air leak. Gasoline also leaked out of that area. That led me to believe the meter level was miss adjusted. I could not understand why it would leak gasoline and then not pump it.

You live and learn.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:24 AM
av8tor1977

Hey, glad you got it figured out. I've been working on engines for 45 years, and they can still surprise me with their Gremlins as well.

Congrats.

AV8TOR