Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

why so hard to buy a zdz???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:27 AM
pahtreek
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why so hard to buy a zdz???

I have been saving for a year to buy the zdz 210 inline twin engine. Price has been 2,000, or 2,399 with onboard starter. I will have 2,500 saved in two more weeks, I go to start process of getting a quote for final price only to find that company in states no longer carries zdz, and canadian company that had 2,399 on their website says the engine is now 3,500. Some bs about currancy conversion has changed. Now, 2 days later after telling me this they changed their website to 3,500. Ridiculous. For that much, I would rather save up for a kolm 4 stroke inline 3 cylinder. Why is this so fricking difficult to get the 210 at a resonable price???
Or when is another company going to have a big inline twin available???
Arrrrgh!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I don't know exactly what AMR is telling you about the currency conversion which was pretty bad running almost $1.40 US to $1.00 Euro (sorry I don't have the Euro currency sign... lol)

So in essence you were paying a substantial premium for that conversion. Right now since the Dollar has gotten so much stronger in the last couple of months, down to $1.25 US to $1.00 Euro.

The engine should have gotten cheaper in the last little bit if currency conversion is the issue. On the other hand, if ZDZ has raised the price?

If you cannot get any decent information from AMR about this issue, I'd check ZDZ's website for current pricing. In fact, I'd check that anyway. I cannot remember if ZDZ will sell direct to the public but they may have a list of European dealers you could contact. IF you buy one of the things overseas, have it shipped via mail. If you use either FedEx or UPS it'll cost you a LOT more for shipping and they hit you for processing fees and currency conversion fees which would already be covered by your credit card company.

Just a couple of thoughts....
Old 11-28-2014, 11:23 AM
pahtreek

Thanks, that's what I'll do.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:43 PM
dubs1946

Here is a 3W for sale personally i think better then ZDZ.
http://www.rctrader.com/category/364...in-Engine.html

Dave.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:30 PM
pahtreek

Thanks, I hear 3W is a really good engine, but I really want either the ZDZ or a Kolm. Since Kolm is priced in my opinion way too high (5,000+ us dollars), I am going to get the ZDZ. I spoke with ZDZ direct and I am hopeful I can get an engine at the price they had advertised just a few days ago.
Whew! And I dont have to sell an airplane to get it now!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 PM
abrcav8tor

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=295977

zdz210 headers proflow cans prop $1200 Canadian not sure of exchange
Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM
pahtreek

Is that zdz 210 the inline version, or opposed cylinders?
Old 12-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by pahtreek
Is that zdz 210 the inline version, or opposed cylinders?
The ad talks about headers and canisters as well as a picture (thumbnail) of a big Yak that I cannot get to download to look closer. I suspect that you'll not find a used version of this engine as I don't believe any of the manufacturers sell a lot of the inline configuration.

Good deal that you were able to get with ZDZ directly. My interactions with the factory although infrequent, have always left me with the impression that they really care about their engines and Customer Service.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 PM
ktmfrank

ZDZ are very good engines. But getting any parts for them is though because they do not seem to care so much about the end users. AMR is a Canadian based company operating off Canadian currency. So the cost of importing anything from Europe in these days gets very expensive. In the end all those fancy engines from overseas are high end products and exclusive. I wish it could be easier and more straightforward to deal with those engines and ZDZ.
Everytime a new batch of engine comes in prices need to be adjusted according to the actual cost of every shipment received.
Thanks

Frank: [email protected]
for the record...
1$ USD= .81EU =19%
1$CND= .71EU =29%