Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 30cc and walbro carb parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes I this case the arms fit the shafts perfectly but that is not always the case. These arms came from Valley View RC but they are the same arms sold by quite a few other companies. On the 20 choke arm, I had to remove the factory arm to install the after market arm.

On other carbs with odd, damaged or undersize shafts, I have had to fabricate new metal arms, usually from brass stock. These are attached to the shaft with solder in some cases. In other cases, I have had to drill and tap the shaft for a small screw to retain the arm. JB Weld can also be used as a sole means of attachment or better yet to just supplement one of the other attachment methods. I have had a couple of shafts that were undersize but I wanted to use the standard aftermarket arms as shown in the photos. In this case I just ran the grub screws down to support the arm on the undersize shaft and filled the void between the shaft and the arm with JB Weld to stabilize the arm. I have even used metal servo arms or fabricated arms from G-10 fiberglass sheet and retained them to the shafts with a screw and JB Weld.

The point here is you just do what you have to do to provide a suitable, stable and secure arm .... either throttle or choke. None of the Walbro carbs we use were ever intended for RC use so we have to adapt them for our application as best we can. Some companies provide suitable arms with their engines but many do not.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:36 AM
StZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an update on what I have done on me carb.

I did find a choke shaft without any indents from a local shop. Dimensionally it was a prefect match to my carb's shaft. I fitted the shaft on the carb and assembled everything. Marked with a permanent pen the two positions of the shaft (open and closed). Once certain of the positions of my markings the carb was disassembled. The choke shaft had now the two markings but on the opposite side of the shaft. I transferred the markings on the correct side of the shaft and using a 3mm drill I made the two indents. I re assembled the carb installed the spring and ball and everything was working as it should. Now the choke plate stays secured in both open and closed positions. There is no need now to install a servo for my choke. Already installed a steel wire to the front of the plane just behind the cowl for the manual operation of the choke.
Finally, I would like to thank everyone for your assistance.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:58 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for posting the solution to your problem. We are all going to have to do that eventually. Dan.