Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA50 starting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:08 AM
scoobiemario
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA50 starting question

So I have DA50 in my mustang, it's not new, but it's been serviced before I bought it from my buddy. Im running 32:1 mix for first gallon, and gonna go to 40:1, with Klotz model lube oil.

My T fitting between tank, carb and filler is only 1 inch away from carb at most. So I was wondering if that causes fuel to get to carb without even choking the engine.

Here re is what happens:
cold engine:
i start engine according to manual: choke on, ignition on, quarter to half throttle. Flip. Flip. Flip about 20 times. No pop. But exhaust pipe has gas in it.. So I turn choke off, continue flipping. Engine starts after 8-10 flips.

After that hat it runs great, slightly rich. With 22x10 Xoar I get 23.6 lbs of thrust.

Warm engine start(after 30 min from last flight) . I fill up tank.
Choke on, ign on. Throttle open about 1/4.
First flip. Engine pops. So choke off, 8-10 flips and it starts.

Seems to me like it should be easier to start

i started dle55 before, and I think it was easier, and my G62 with spring start definitely took less to start. Even buddies quadra with magneto ignition was easier to start by just hand flipping.

By by the way, for ignition I'm using li-ion with 5V regulator

so, am I doing something wrong?
Old 12-25-2014, 10:22 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

You are over priming the engine, keep your throttle to a high idle when starting.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:41 PM
scoobiemario

Not sure what do you mean by high idle?
I was following user manual and had it at 1/4 open. So should I open it more? Or less?

thank you
Old 12-25-2014, 02:25 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Put a piece of fuel line on and carb fitting and blow. If air passes the carb is the problem and it is flooding while you are fueling. It most likely is the problem since you are getting fuel in the exhaust. Other end of the spectrum is that the t is allowing a lot of air in the line and it is taking a lot of flips to get the air out. A good carb will fill the fuel line in 4-5 flips. The air bubble should never move back towards the tank after a flip.. Watch what the fuel in the line is doing when you are flipping it will probably tell you whats up. Also you could pull the plug and look after 10 or so flips to see if gas is running out. Either way you most likely will need to clean and rebuild the carb..
Old 12-25-2014, 08:14 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobiemario
Not sure what do you mean by high idle?
I was following user manual and had it at 1/4 open. So should I open it more? Or less?

thank you
For starting, take what your taxi idle setting would be and go up about 4 clicks on the trim. What I think is happening by trying to start at a higher setting is that you are getting too much fuel all at once and drowning the plug. The location of you fueling T plays no part in this. For fuel to get past the metering needle it would have to be under about 25-30 psi. Your pump is not doing anything close to that. Once you have some time on the engine and have the needles set you will find it very easy to start. I must have had 500 flights on mine and in most cases I only had to choke it the first run of the day. All others were no choke and one or two flips.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:39 AM
scoobiemario

Thank you both for help. I'm gonna try to adjust a way I starting it first. And before I go fly today, I may try to see if air passes if I blow to carb fuel fitting. I'll post what I find later today.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:02 PM
scoobiemario

So I went flying today.
Before filling it with gas I tried blowing into fuel nipple on carb. Nothing

so I filled her up. Choked with throttle at very low settings, 1/10 throttle. Five flips, pop. Choke off. Three more flips. It started.

After that, for next flights I did not even choke it. And it started at first flip every time!

As as it turns out I just needed some schooling.
Thank you guys for all the help. Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2014, 07:59 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job......scoobie !