Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Guitarman52
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill Switch

Do you all use a kill switch on your gassers ? I've seen some use a servo to move the choke to kill the engine. Opinions ??
Old 12-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've gone to the Tech Aero IBEC on all my gas planes. Gets rid of the ignition battery, provides voltage regulation for the ignition in addition to the kill feature. So far I have found no "down" side to going this route. They work and seem extremely reliable.

http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec

My larger single cylinder gas engines usually have servo activated chokes but not my twins or small singles. I wouldn't count on the choke or throttle to always be able to kill the engine as I've seen cases where something broke or came loose and neither worked reliably as a kill ... and the engine just kept on running.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:13 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

+ 2 on the AT IBEC, one of the advantages of the AT IBEC is that if the channel it is on has fail safe then you can set it to fail safe to kill the ignition to stop the engine then the radio will be telling the IBEC to stop the engine when there is a lost of radio link for more then two seconds, I'm not sure if the other kill switches like the Rcxel can do that, I have one on my twin cylinder with a 7 chl Futaba, this receiver only has fail safe on the throttle chl, for that reason I make sure I can kill the engine with a switch via the radio then the radio can kill the engine if it looses the link.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:34 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CARS II
+ 2 on the AT IBEC, one of the advantages of the AT IBEC is that if the channel it is on has fail safe then you can set it to fail safe to kill the ignition to stop the engine then the radio will be telling the IBEC to stop the engine when there is a lost of radio link for more then two seconds, I'm not sure if the other kill switches like the Rcxel can do that, I have one on my twin cylinder with a 7 chl Futaba, this receiver only has fail safe on the throttle chl, for that reason I make sure I can kill the engine with a switch via the radio then the radio can kill the engine if it looses the link.
+ 3 on the Tech Aero IBEC I have two of them and they work great.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:09 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, I'll cross the grain.

Yes, I use a kill switch, yes the Tech Aero is a good one, but I use the one made by RCEXL, who just incidentally, are the same people making the ign. modules most of us are flying with.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:01 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

IMO if you want to run a seperate ignition battery then go with the RCEXL kill switch, if you would like to eliminate the ignition battery then go Tech Aero IBEC.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:25 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by ahicks
Ok, I'll cross the grain.

Yes, I use a kill switch, yes the Tech Aero is a good one, but I use the one made by RCEXL, who just incidentally, are the same people making the ign. modules most of us are flying with.
As you've pointed out to me before, the Rcexl switch can be easily modified to power the ignition from the receiver battery. You just lack the voltage / current regulation and filtering features of the Tech Aero unit. Many people do this and get by just fine.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:45 AM
ahicks

I think the TA switch is a great unit, but it's not like you aren't paying 2 to 3 times the price of an RCEXL switch to get it.

Regarding voltage regulation, most ign. modules sold in the last couple of years now are all good for 8.4v, so they have no need of regulation. Regarding filtering, I'll only comment that there have not been a lot of issues noted regarding problems with the RCEXL switches. None that I'm aware of.

In defense of the TA switch, they are plug and play/brain dead simple for those going with single battery setups. If you can't (or don't want to) do a simple solder job they're still a great plan.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Truckracer

I think the TA switch is a great unit, but it's not like you aren't paying 2 to 3 times the price of an RCEXL switch to get it.

Regarding voltage regulation, most ign. modules sold in the last couple of years now are all good for 8.4v, so they have no need of regulation. Regarding filtering, I'll only comment that there have not been a lot of issues noted regarding problems with the RCEXL switches. None that I'm aware of.

In defense of the TA switch, they are plug and play/brain dead simple for those going with single battery setups. If you can't (or don't want to) do a simple solder job they're still a great plan.
I don't disagree and frankly, I like a "plug and play/brain dead simple" device that is also reliable. Nothing against the Rcexl cutoff, I just tried the TA device first and liked it. No reason to change at this time.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:32 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

If you can't (or don't want to) do a simple solder job they're still a great plan.

You would be surprised how few people can actually solder well. It's one of those things people shy away from learning,
Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 AM
dogshome

I use a kill switch on the ignition. I've combined batteries/regulators and the RCExcel on separate battery. Both work well.

However you do it, it avoids this:-

A successful landing after the 45cc petrol Hurricane would not shutdown, it started snowing and they had to hand the transmitter around for about 40 minutes until it ran out
Old 01-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
IMO if you want to run a seperate ignition battery then go with the RCEXL kill switch, if you would like to eliminate the ignition battery then go Tech Aero IBEC.
+1
I have both setups just like speedy said. I'm moving to IBEC for all my gas engines. The RCEXL offers a kill switch with BEC or you can modify one of the regular switches.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:05 PM
ahicks

I agree guys. There are a LOT of those TA switches sold because of the convenience. Inverse applies as well too I think? If the Excel switch were more readily available with their BEC mod already done at a reasonable price, they'd make a killing with them offered that way.

Red Raider, have you seen an Rcexl switch offered with the BEC mod already done, available somewhere beside Valley View? That's the only place I've ever seen them offered, and can't help wondering if they aren't doing them? Takes a total of maybe 3 minutes to do that mod. You could do a BUNCH of them in an hour if you had them all stacked up in front of you. VV making a killing on them for what they get for them (not a lot cheaper than the TA switch).

Regarding soldering, geez, it's just not that hard to learn, nor are the supplies that expensive. Kinda like building a kit vs. buying an ARF thou I guess. You have the ambition, or you don't.

Cheap by nature, doing that mod the perfect kind of project for me. For what that switch costs, the mod makes it a great value. -Al

Last edited by ahicks; 01-01-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I agree guys. There are a LOT of those TA switches sold because of the convenience. Inverse applies as well too I think? If the Excel switch were more readily available with their BEC mod already done at a reasonable price, they'd make a killing with them offered that way.

Red Raider, have you seen an Rcexl switch offered with the BEC mod already done, available somewhere beside Valley View? That's the only place I've ever seen them offered, and can't help wondering if they aren't doing them? Takes a total of maybe 3 minutes to do that mod. You could do a BUNCH of them in an hour if you had them all stacked up in front of you. VV making a killing on them for what they get for them (not a lot cheaper than the TA switch).

Regarding soldering, geez, it's just not that hard to learn, nor are the supplies that expensive. Kinda like building a kit vs. buying an ARF thou I guess. You have the ambition, or you don't.

Cheap by nature, doing that mod the perfect kind of project for me. For what that switch costs, the mod makes it a great value. -Al
Hey, Hicks:
no, I haven't. It may very well be that they are making the mod themselves. You're right about it being easy to do, and I think it's a shame that guys won't do it just because they don't want to learn a new skill. For what it's worth though, I think the tech aero is the way to go.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:36 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Looks like we all agreed that the the Tech Aero is the best choice when it comes to kill switches.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:20 AM
ahicks

Um, no. I didn't say or mean to imply that.

I said it was a good switch. It's plug and play/brain dead simple for those needing a BEC, making it a good option. When I can buy an Rcexl switch for 1/4-1/2 of what the Tech Aero sells for, and modify it in 3 minutes to fit my needs (need BEC, single battery setup), it's impossible for me to justify the TA switch due to what they get for them. Features I don't need do not justify the price. It's like trying to justify an 18 channel radio used only for sport flying. You want one? Go for it!

Point being, with all the discussion of the TA switches, the Rcexl switch remains a functional, cost effective option - that's built by the same people that made your ignition (in most cases). I just like to keep that fact out there. From there, you can make up your own mind.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:34 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I used on my last build using a microswitch activated by a non-conductive flex rod from a small servo. Total isolation of the electronics which is nice. Radio Shack has the micro switches or you could order them from any electronics supplier. Keeps all the noise from your ignition system from coupling into the receiver circuitry.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition Cut Off Switch.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2059780  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Guitarman52

The TA sounds like a very good product, my only question is going with one battery. If you loose the ignition sometimes you can still land the plane without much or any damage if you have two batteries. But, if you loose both I would say you have no chance. What are your thoughts on that.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Truckracer

You could still use (2) receiver batteries for redundancy. The IBEC only eliminates the need for a separate ignition battery. It should be noted the TA unit also offers current limiting so even a short in the ignition or associated wiring will not shut down the receiver.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Guitarman52

But a battery failure would, correct ?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Truckracer

Well in all cases a receiver battery failure would cause loss of control. Redundant receiver batteries would extremely reduce the changes of a complete failure. Many of us have found that quality LiFe batteries and especially the genuine A123 cells are extremely reliable though and coupled with quality switches, heavy power wiring to the switch and redundant connections to the receiver, the chances of a failure with a single battery is extremely rare. I would guess that most people use a single receiver battery up through and including 60 cc sized planes. Certainly nothing wrong with (2) batteries though and it does provide a comfort margin.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Guitarman52

I understand, but I lost my favorite plane because of a single battery failure. Running a 100 Saito. Of course it was a nimh that I charged before flying and it read full charge before takeoff. Charged it again after crash and it read full for about 1/2 hour, then it crapped out. I guess I'm just leary now. However, I can honestly say that is the only battery in lots of planes and lots of years that has ever failed.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Truckracer

I've been at this hobby for a very long time and have found the A123 batteries far more reliable and better yet, more predictable than any of the Ni chemistry types. And .... I had very few problems with NiCd or NiMh batteries but the A123 / LiFe types are just much more user friendly. I worry more about switches than I do the batteries.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:20 PM
ahicks

X2 on Truckracer's last few comments.

I only wish I had found out about A123's earlier, when I was just getting back into the hobby (a few years ago) and looking to replace some really old NiCads. I could have saved myself a couple of pretty nice planes by ignoring advice to go NiMh at the time. Another lesson in bad advice is worse than none. Cost me a lot of time and money to recover from that advice, no matter how well intentioned it was. -Al
Old 01-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I like these.......

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=45

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.