Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Torque needed to start a DLE 85 (or similar) engine.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Torque needed to start a DLE 85 (or similar) engine.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:51 AM
thiago1080

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque needed to start a DLE 85 (or similar) engine.

Hi people.
Does anyone have an idea of how much torque is needed to start a DLE 85 engine?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 AM
wayneparrish
My Feedback: (16)

One padded glove on a quick hand ! Follow the instructions and you should have no problem with hand starting. Some ignition units want you to ,after you prime it, cut the switch on and pull the prop thru one time to rest the timing for starting. BE SURE you hold on to the prop very well if you need to do this. Of course you may already be accustom to propping a big engine ,but if not make sure you are restraining the aircraft VERY well. There are IDIOTS out there that start an engine without a glove,but then they are just that.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by wayneparrish
. There are IDIOTS out there that start an engine without a glove,but then they are just that.
Well if your definition of an idiot is someone who takes time to tune his engine correctly and maintain it to the point where the engine is always predictable and starts easily under all conditions then by all means put me in the idiot category. I much rather that then be the guy who isn't quite sure of where his timing is, how much he primed, didn't bother to clock his prop correctly etc. and feels the need to wear a glove because he doesn't really know what to expect.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:33 PM
wayneparrish

If the term fits,wear it ! I have seen too many people thru the years get rushed to the hospital with fingers torn up by props ! Is it a macho thing ,not to wear a glove ? I have a 110 cc gasser that starts "almost" flawlessly every time,notice the "almost" ! I ALWAYS wear a padded heavy glove and have been glad on a few occasions when the engine backfired because It didn't have the mix it liked . I personally shouldn't care whether you wear a glove or not,but I do as I consider everyone in this hobby a friend till proven otherwise, so take care .Sorry I peed in your soup,or that you think I did. WP
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
speedracerntrixie

Wayne, please remember that you were the one throwing names around. I have been running 150cc and 170cc engines for over 15 years now. Not once have I had one backfire on me. I give my engine great respect and take the time to know exactly what is in front of me before flipping the prop. This includes checking the timing on every engine that comes into my hands. If it's a used engine I will take the carb apart and clean/inspect. I do not use a glove, not because of wanting to be macho but because I know my engine and I have 100% confidence in my starting procedure. IMO a glove also has the potential to cause more damage should an incident occure. Ask any machinest if they wear gloves while working on a Lathe or mill and let them explain why. As for your engine backfiring on you, I suggest you check the timing as it could be advanced too much and/or you are over priming and starting at too high a throttle setting. You may also want to reconsider refering to people as idiots if they do not share your opinion.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:03 PM
wayneparrish

Add twenty five years + to your time and you'll have my experience level. I don't think this has as much to do with experience as foolishness starting a engine that "could" backfire . You do it the way you want and sorry i peed in your soup ,but its still foolish to do,I think ,and a lot of other people also.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM
wayneparrish

ee
Old 01-12-2015, 05:53 PM
dubs1946

This will start it, i have been using this for my 3W85 for over a year, very powerful.
http://www.sdshobby.com/tools-others...-airplane.html
Not a good idea to start any gas engine by hand but to those that do good luck!!
I use mine with a 5S lipo.
Dave

Last edited by dubs1946; 01-12-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:24 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am relitivly new to gas and RC, only four years. I have 50cc, the DLE85, and a EME120. I use a welders heavy glove....all the time. I find it is not as much how well you maintain your engine but the starting procedure. I fly independently, on my own even though there are other pilots around I find that a starter would reqiere two people to start my planes so I opt to the hand start. I have considered getting one of those starters for missbehaving engines, but haven't needed one....yet. Concentration is the key to hand starting and distractions can lead to improper starting procedures. Not to get off topic with how to start your engine. The DLE85 starts pretty easily with hand flipping. A good HD starter will do it, the smaller starters that may start a 55cc won't do it for the 85 so get one that will do a 120cc. Again it does not mater how you start your engine, hand or starter both can be dangerouse if you fall out of the starting procedure or get distracted. I go into tunnel vision when I start and block out all distractions and won't let others distract me, some think I'm rude but I call it concentrating.

Good luck with your 85, powerful engine it is.

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 01-13-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Checklst

Good call Tony....its all about procedure and concentration...............if those things are followed correctly, and not changed then safe starting, will be the norm with or without a glove. Procedure, concentration, and communication are the key to high safety. Most of the injuries at our vary large club(almost 300 members) are generally lacking in 2 or more of the 3 Keys to safety. I could right a book about lack of communication at out field.............lets just say I call for a landing and landing direction(loud outside voice) I call dead sticks(loud voice) and if I do loose control(dumb thumbs) anywhere in the sky I call heads UP!!!!!!!!!!!and yes (loud outside voice) but only a few of the 300 will.

So I'll get off the soap box now and back to regular programing of having fun in a great hobby.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:40 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guess i am an idiot in waynes eyes too. if you really get wacked by the prop the glove wont help prevent broken fingers.

wayne sounds like youre an old crusty guy lol I have learned that trying to force my way of doing things on others isnt a good thing.

i tried the glove and found it harder to do.

main thing is never wrap your fingers around the prop or what i do.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 AM
speedracerntrixie

Jeff, with my 150 there is no way to flip the prop without wrapping fingers around the blade. Not really an issue as the engine is tuned well and I have a couple thousand flights of familiarity with a DA 150. You've seen me start it up it's not a big deal at all. Some guys who simply seem to know everything and want to continue to struggle, tell others what to do and resort to name calling can just continue to do so. I'm happy to go fly and burn a couple gallons of gas as they struggle to get an engine running, no sweat off my nose.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:05 AM
airraptor

yes i saw yours and it starts very easily for sure.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by airraptor
guess i am an idiot in waynes eyes too. if you really get wacked by the prop the glove wont help prevent broken fingers.

wayne sounds like youre an old crusty guy lol I have learned that trying to force my way of doing things on others isnt a good thing.

i tried the glove and found it harder to do.

main thing is never wrap your fingers around the prop or what i do.
Everyone has there own way of starting, flying and building, it's all good. I use a glove becouas the sharp trailing edge of the prop is hard on my fingers as I start. I like the physicality of flipp starting my gas engines. I would rather have the prop hit my glove covered finger then a bare finger. I have seen to many prop strikes in my short time here with lots of blod, EMS and stitches. The worst was from an APC electric, man I avoied electrics like a loaded gun. I just hunker down and get hyper concentraited, has worked for hundreds of starts for me. There was a time when my DLE85 (subject of this thread) was missbehaving and would not start. I threw my arm out and really wished I had a starter. Took me months to recover.

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 01-13-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:09 PM
airraptor

well I would use a glove also it running APC props.
Yes that is very true, this is a hobby and everyone does things differently if we didnt then this would be boring.

I have seen some guys flip start a YS too that is a bit crazy to me lol
Old 01-13-2015, 04:20 PM
speedracerntrixie

Tony, sorry bud but I'm going to,pick on you for a moment. Hand flipping an engine until you injure yourself is a sure sign that something is not right with your engine. This is a prime example of knowing when to stop and look for the issue. I see this far too often and this is when things get away from being predictable and accidents happen. It's the same scenario as Wayne mentioned earlier that his engine had backfired on him a few times. It appears that he either deems this as normal or just does not have the knowledge to make adjustments to,prevent this from happening. If you ever get the opportunity to attend an IMAC contest please do so. For one you won't see a single starter there among the 40+ entrants but just by being observant and asking questions you would pick up a lot. Jeff, you know I am not a fan of starters. 99% of my heat races over that past 4 seasons with 2 strokes were bump starts. Now that I am running YS the starter gets used every time.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM
wayneparrish

SRT, I am sure you think you are gods gift to all of us so you can tell us all we don't know what we're doing ! Please,give us all a break ,I am sure you are very knowledgable and don't mean to say you're not ,but I don't need you telling me or anyone that I don't know what i'm doing .I can assure you that I do know what i'm doing but i sure don't need to get on this forum and exclaim to all my virtues, so give it a rest. If you know everything ,fine,but just don't look down on otters like they don't know what they are doing ! WP
Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM
fredmcl2

Hi, I fly planes up to 160cc, and have learned several lessons not mentioned above. My 10 gassers are all slightly different in starting procedure, so one thing I do is focus for a few moments on what this specific plane "likes" before I touch the prop. The other thing I have learned is follow thru with each flip, throwing my right hand well to my left and away from the prop before returning my hand to the prop for the next flip. On at least one occasion, my hand was on the way back to the prop too soon for the next flip when it either popped or actually started.
I had a DA-85 for a while and found it no different or more difficult to start than a DA-50 or for that matter, a DA-100.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:02 PM
speedracerntrixie

Wayne, perhaps you should read through the thread again. It was you that started off on the wrong foot declaring that anyone who does not use a glove is an idiot. You started with the offensive tone, I just continued it. I do not consider myself Gods gift but do consider myself as someone who is willing to share his 40 years of modeling knowledge with anyone who is willing to accept help. I even spent some time trying to find dimentions on your 3W 70. Unfortunately I came up empty too but can tell you that my 70 fit entirely withing the cowls of a Ohio Models Cap 232 and Lanier 202. If you can find cowl measurements for those airplanes it may come close to,your answer. I even offered reasons to as why the engine you mentioned had kicked back a few times.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:06 PM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Tony, sorry bud but I'm going to,pick on you for a moment. Hand flipping an engine until you injure yourself is a sure sign that something is not right with your engine. This is a prime example of knowing when to stop and look for the issue. I see this far too often and this is when things get away from being predictable and accidents happen. It's the same scenario as Wayne mentioned earlier that his engine had backfired on him a few times. It appears that he either deems this as normal or just does not have the knowledge to make adjustments to,prevent this from happening. If you ever get the opportunity to attend an IMAC contest please do so. For one you won't see a single starter there among the 40+ entrants but just by being observant and asking questions you would pick up a lot. Jeff, you know I am not a fan of starters. 99% of my heat races over that past 4 seasons with 2 strokes were bump starts. Now that I am running YS the starter gets used every time.
there is a long story that has been told in numerous forums way to much to try and explain here but this is about the DLE85 engine and the issues that coused me to flip out my arm has been well documented in a few formns, yes there was something wrong with the engine, all my other and current engines start with only a few flips but thanks for pointing out the defects in the 85 as this is all about the 85 and not how one should start there engines

TB
Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 PM
wayneparrish

SRT, OKAY, I will be the first to lay down the gauntlet ! I agree I used strong language calling anyone an idiot . I should have said in my opinion anyone that does not use a padded glove to start an engine is simply playing russian roulette ,and that is exactly what it is. Anyone that says an engine will Never backfire ,regardless of how smart they are ,is sticking their neck out . My engine backfired due to a faulty ignition ,not my ignorance of how to set it up. Let me say again,I am sure you know what you are doing and we all appreciate each other helping each other,but sometimes it sure seems that you think others might not know what they are doing. I have no intention of getting on with this discussion in this light , so thanks for the offer to help ,and i apologize if i offended you or anyone by using the IDIOT wording.Thanks and have a nice day.
WP
Old 01-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Neverlost1
My Feedback: (1)

I wear a glove when starting my engines, mainly so i can find my fingers if I put my hand in a prop

So, any of you experts going to answer the question?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:16 PM
x3dflyer
My Feedback: (26)

I bought one of these here on RCU and it's fantastic...starts my gassers up to 100cc no prob...haven't needed to try it on my da 150cc...but this definitely makes priming and starting sooo much easier than hand starting

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1013803
Old 01-13-2015, 07:57 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I must admit, in over 50 years I have never used a glove to start my engines, I have always found them cumbersome. I place my fingers on the front of the properly prepared blade mounted in the 11:00 o-clock position on full compression and follow through like I mean business. I don't know what to say about those that shove their hands into a running propeller often, I think I might take up something else after a couple of rodeos of that though.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 01-14-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by sensei; 01-14-2015 at 03:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.