Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE35ra with Bowman ring low rpm and compression?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE35ra with Bowman ring low rpm and compression?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:54 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the answer. It makes sense to reduce carbon build up.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I see, I have used it on my last van's engine to get a piston ring loose and it worked.

Thank you for the replying.

Last edited by CARS II; 01-29-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:07 PM
JoeyCoates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to give a little update on what happened with the new ring. I have only put about 16oz of fuel through it today on the bench today to see how it ran with the new ring. I let it warm up a bit going up and down the range and then tuned for rpm with the same Xoar 19x8 prop, only this time instead of 7200 or so rpm's it was hitting 7600 and sometimes touching 7700. Starting it the first time today was initially somewhat difficult, I had to prime and try to start 4-5 times before it actually started, but once the first start was done every other start was within a few flips, just so easy and repeatable. At one point I shut it down and came back an hour later, primed to pop, choke off, two flips.

So whatever the deal was with the other ring I do not know. It could have had some issue, I could have installed it wrong and somehow damaged it, I am not sure. However, I do know Frank's customer service was great, and the new ring seems to be working very well. It has quite a bit of compression right now and when I turn it over slowly with the muffler off the leakage from before running to after running has already dropped considerably. I also think that it will continue to get stronger through the next gallon as the ring really starts to seat, I might not pick up 500 rpm's, but I would be shocked if it did not pick up some. So it has all worked out. As long as it is making good power and is well mannered then I am happy. Now I just need to get it up and flying actually enjoying it as it finishes breaking in!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:24 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks for the update, good to know that it is working out for you.

Happy landings.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:42 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Frank is just great to work with. I've had nothing but great luck with him, his service, and his rings. Glad your engine perked up!

AV8TOR
Old 10-12-2015, 04:53 AM
kalps

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
Yep. Frank is just great to work with. I've had nothing but great luck with him, his service, and his rings. Glad your engine perked up!

AV8TOR

Well its its a pity , he will not ship to Australia, anybody can suggest someone else who makes quality rings?

Much appreciated.

regards,
Kalps
Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM
spitflyer ch ch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank sent them to me in Christchurch new Zealand about a year ago no problem.
tom
Originally Posted by kalps
Well its its a pity , he will not ship to Australia, anybody can suggest someone else who makes quality rings?

Much appreciated.

regards,
Kalps
Old 10-17-2015, 08:57 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Glenn, I tend to agree. While the Bowman ring is a great product and my first choice when replacement is necessary, I don't rush out and install a Bowman ring in every new engine I have just for the enjoyment of doing it. The stock DLE rings in later engines are quite good for the most part and most cylinders are "round enough" for our use. Every DLE I have looked at or had any experience in the last several years had a ring that was quite acceptable as provided and installed by DLE. They provide good compression and power output with minimal run time, not at all like the early rock hard and seldom round DLE rings / cylinders were. I prefer to use the stock ring until proven it has a problem. Perhaps the OP would have been better off in this case doing the same as perhaps more problems were created during the change than were prevented.

Frankly I'm not sure where the mentality came from that every DLE engine needs a new ring and the reed block resurfaced before you run the engine. Hardly a day goes by that I don't read somewhere about a guy buying a new DLE and saying "I'm going to install a Bowman ring and do the reed block mod". Just some things that make me go Hmmmmmmmmmm as I scratch my head.
Well I guess we won't be buying Bowman rings anymore. Frank is shutting down.They have have finally pestered enough and he has had it.Too bad he us a good friend and great guy.I'm with you I have used many of Franks rings.But all engines do not need a new ring.As you say the new Chinese rings are much better then they were a few years ago.Guys would send there engines to Frank for him to install the ring.O-boy .I have written several times in the forums not to bother Frank with your engine problems. Guy,s would send him there engine some did not have his ring.Nice to have a business where you can not keep up.I no about that,have been there done that. Don't want to do it any more.You can not fix stupid.
Tired Old CH guy.Going flying tomorrow.AMA 2500. I am a stick builder
Old 10-18-2015, 06:53 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by JoeyCoates
I just wanted to give a little update on what happened with the new ring. I have only put about 16oz of fuel through it today on the bench today to see how it ran with the new ring. I let it warm up a bit going up and down the range and then tuned for rpm with the same Xoar 19x8 prop, only this time instead of 7200 or so rpm's it was hitting 7600 and sometimes touching 7700. Starting it the first time today was initially somewhat difficult, I had to prime and try to start 4-5 times before it actually started, but once the first start was done every other start was within a few flips, just so easy and repeatable. At one point I shut it down and came back an hour later, primed to pop, choke off, two flips.

So whatever the deal was with the other ring I do not know. It could have had some issue, I could have installed it wrong and somehow damaged it, I am not sure. However, I do know Frank's customer service was great, and the new ring seems to be working very well. It has quite a bit of compression right now and when I turn it over slowly with the muffler off the leakage from before running to after running has already dropped considerably. I also think that it will continue to get stronger through the next gallon as the ring really starts to seat, I might not pick up 500 rpm's, but I would be shocked if it did not pick up some. So it has all worked out. As long as it is making good power and is well mannered then I am happy. Now I just need to get it up and flying actually enjoying it as it finishes breaking in!
Three years ago I installed one of Frank's rings in a new 35RA as well. Never ran the original ring basis some of the stuff I heard from people that I trust. I ran the XOAR 19x10 laminated woody on a muffler/canister (not tuned). The 19x10 is considerably more load than the 19x8 XOAR woody but it was producing around 7200 rpm which was about what I expected. Compression was decent from the start and has continued to be decent, not improving all that much over 4 gallons of running. The ring worked well and the engine is still the easiest starting engine I own. The output from the engine was adequate for an 11 lb model with 1100 square inches of wing.

Trying to get 8000+ on these props and on mufflers is optimistic. The 19-8 might get there on a piped set-up.