Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE-40 Twin

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:18 PM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DLE-40 Twin

A friend wants to use the new DLE-40 twin in at Dave Platt T-28 Trojan. The cowl is big enough to accommodate the twin but the problem is that the bottom mounted carburetor interferes with the nose gear location. Our question is does anyone know if the cylinders can be rotated to allow the carb to be on top and the mufflers down? I did this with a RCGF 15 a few years ago and it ran great. I had to rotate both the cylinder and the piston to get the ring in the correct position.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I would say no because the intake ports would no longer match up between the cylinders and crankcase. See attached photo. This switch could work on quite a few engines, the 40 twin isn't one of them.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXECFN&P=Z
Old 02-27-2015, 06:07 AM
gsmith6879

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I would say no because the intake ports would no longer match up between the cylinders and crankcase. See attached photo. This switch could work on quite a few engines, the 40 twin isn't one of them.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXECFN&P=Z
But they only sell one replacement cylinder. Meaning it is rotated to fit either side. Wouldn't that mean they can be rotated?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXECGF&P=Z
Old 02-27-2015, 08:06 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by gsmith6879
But they only sell one replacement cylinder. Meaning it is rotated to fit either side. Wouldn't that mean they can be rotated?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXECGF&P=Z
Again, no. The crankcase is not symmetrical meaning the transfer ports in the case are arranged to accommodate the rotated cylinder. In other words, the transfer port opposite the exhaust is on the top side of the engine for both sides of the crankcase. If you rotated both cylinders, this transfer port would be blocked off as it doesn't exist on the bottom side of the case. Also note the shape of the front and back ports, they also would not align with the crankcase if the cylinders were rotated.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 PM
gsmith6879

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Again, no. The crankcase is not symmetrical meaning the transfer ports in the case are arranged to accommodate the rotated cylinder. In other words, the transfer port opposite the exhaust is on the top side of the engine for both sides of the crankcase. If you rotated both cylinders, this transfer port would be blocked off as it doesn't exist on the bottom side of the case. Also note the shape of the front and back ports, they also would not align with the crankcase if the cylinders were rotated.
Yep, you're right. It looks like DLE used the same cylinder from the 20cc side exhaust engine and just designed and cast the crankcase to take two of the cylinders. The good news is he got the engine today and it will mount just far enough forward to clear the Sierra nose gear. Plus the gear mount a bit lower than the gear Dave used in the drawings. Gonna' be a great warbird project!

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Truckracer

Sounds like a good deal all around. Enjoy the project.