Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

First dual carb engine - fueling question

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

First dual carb engine - fueling question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 AM
pahtreek
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First dual carb engine - fueling question

I searched the forums and was surprised there was not already a post about this.

I just got my first dual carb engines (210 cc).

How are most people supplying fuel? I am planning on running two clunks in the tank and run a separate line to each carb. Also, I hope the 1/8" id tygon is ok. I did not order the larger 5/32"
id.
I could run one clunk and put in a T near the carbs, but that seems it would limit the amount of fuel to each carb.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience in this matter.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eigth inch line is plenty big enough, the main jet in the carbs. is much smaller than that, two clunks are ok.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am installing a large inline twin engine with two carbs in a warbird and plan to use a single clunk line with a T near the carbs. Somewhere I saw a thread discussion where using two clunk lines causes problems, but I am sorry I don't recall what the specific issue was. The recommendation was to use a single clunk line with a T near the carbs. The few inline twin installations in warbirds that I have seen use a single clunk line with a T near the carbs, so I that is what I am planning on doing. If anyone knows why two clunk lines is not as good, I would be interested in hearing why. There's always more to learn!

-Ed B.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the two clunks don't get along well and fight inside the tank?

AV8TOR
Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Flyfast1

Yes, it could be that. I seem to recall something about uneven fuel draw, but I wish I could find the thread.

-Ed B.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Flyfast1

It's been a few years, but after thinking about it last night, I remembered the reason stated in the other thread for not using two clunk lines is that using lines of different lengths to separate carburetors will cause the engine to not run correctly, or at least not perform best. I don't understand why this would be an issue with carburetors that are each pumping their own fuel, but the recommendation was to use a single clunk line with a T. Perhaps others with more gas engine experience would be able to provide some thoughts on this.

-Ed B.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:28 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each carb has its own separate fuel pump and regulator. They should not be affected at all whether the fuel supplied to them comes from one, or two sources, so long as the fuel they receive is sufficient for the demand. A one or two line system is really just a matter of preference.

A non-pumped Glow engine situation however would be different, as the fuel delivered by most glow carbs is affected by tank height, fuel line length, etc.

AV8TOR