Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

power for engine and recvier

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:36 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Bob and av8tor, after mentioning oil, you guys need to go stand in the corner and take a "time out".
WHOOPS! You're absolutely right!

AV8TOR
Old 06-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
What....
I use oil in ALL of my engines!
Yes, but do you use the "Right" Oil ????? Hmm???
Old 06-11-2015, 03:58 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Everyone I know that tried oil switched back ti Vaseline.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:17 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

so do fat women.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh yuk.Thanks for that mental picture .....
Old 06-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

This thread has certainly taken a turn ......
Old 06-11-2015, 05:31 PM
av8tor1977

Oh my god was that tempting. But my brother would kill me for the comment that comes to mind..... (Better HIM than me!!)

AV8TOR
Old 06-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Bob Pastorello

This thread has certainly taken a turn ......
And it was SOOOOOO easy....
Old 06-11-2015, 05:49 PM
av8tor1977

Tee hee.....

AV8TOR
Old 06-12-2015, 05:57 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is one more thought and that is if the ignition module should go bad and short it will drain the battery in no time. I also use the A123 packs with 2 leads from hang time hobbies and take my chances http://hangtimes.com/a123_batteries_for_giants_faq.html and the rcxel units with no issues.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by raptureboy
There is one more thought and that is if the ignition module should go bad and short it will drain the battery in no time. I also use the A123 packs with 2 leads from hang time hobbies and take my chances http://hangtimes.com/a123_batteries_for_giants_faq.html and the rcxel units with no issues.
Another plus for the Aero Tech unit. It is current limited. I'm not sure whether the Rcexl Opti Kill offers that feature or not.

While it is possible, I have never heard of an ignition module shorting though.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:56 AM
dirtybird

Another plus for the Aero Tech unit. It is current limited. I'm not sure whether the Rcexl Opti Kill offers that feature or not.

While it is possible, I have never heard of an ignition module shorting though.
another minus for the device.
Current limiting increases the internal resistance the source , reduces the performance of the ignition and limits the rpm it can perform.

A
Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Well, Oil doesn't need further discussion, once everyone learns about Pennzoil Air Cooled @ 30:1. Of course, there's always an errant AMSOIL user here or there...."the Un Enlightened"...
I prefer OLIVE OIL, extra virgin, cold hard pressed, from Cretian oilves. The BEST there is, period! LOL
Old 06-12-2015, 08:28 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtybird
another minus for the device.
Current limiting increases the internal resistance the source , reduces the performance of the ignition and limits the rpm it can perform.

A
Geez another golden nugget. Like Bob sez.......

I'm outa here. Nuff said 'bout fat women. Like DB sez....Heck they need love too
Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by MTK
Geez another golden nugget. Like Bob sez.......
I'll have to remember that line!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 AM
av8tor1977

Let them find it somewhere else!

AV8TOR
Old 06-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Bob Pastorello

I'll have to remember that line!
Yeah, sometimes there are things stated as fact in these threads that doesn't have ANY support in either actual measured DATA *or* anecdotal "evidence".
When you read those lines, you gotta realize that they AREN'T "golden nuggets", and more represent piled bat guano.
Shrug, then un-subscribe...and smile....
Old 06-12-2015, 03:57 PM
dirtybird

When individuals resort to ridicule they have recognized they are wrong and are simply trying to rescue their ego.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by dirtybird
When individuals resort to ridicule they have recognized they are wrong and are simply trying to rescue their ego.
I hope you don't lump me into that category! Regardless, most of us participating in this thread are seniors and there's some pretty darn talented, successful modelers here too. I doubt most of us really care about ego any more.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:03 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't quite understand the maintenance issues when using separate battery packs, its really no different from maintaining one pack... I use separate battery packs for the receivers and servo buss... and then another battery pak for the ignition system, along with an "Opti Kill Switch"... each with their own on / off switches... fromeco bager Switches, one each for the receivers & servo buss.... and a good quality std switch for the ignition system insulated from vibration as best as can be done.

Call me old school, but to me its just good practice to keep the ignition system separated and isolated from the radio gear... not because something bad is going to happen if you don't, its just a precaution; reduce the risks for interference or failure... one battery to power everything may work fine, but its not the use of one battery that concerns me, its all the electronic devices daisy chained together so you can use just the one battery... just to many potential points of failure for my liking... I may be just overly concerned, anything can fail at anytime, receivers, servos, switches, batteries, even plug / connectors can fail... so at some point you just have to throw caution into the wind, you've done the best you can do to protect your investments and make it as safe and reliable as possible.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 06-13-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:08 AM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by John_M_
I don't quite understand the maintenance issues when using separate battery packs, its really no different from maintaining one pack... I use separate battery packs for the receivers and servo buss... and then another battery pak for the ignition system, along with an "Opti Kill Switch"... each with their own on / off switches... fromeco bager Switches, one each for the receivers & servo buss.... and a good quality std switch for the ignition system insulated from vibration as best as can be done.

Call me old school, but to me its just good practice to keep the ignition system separated and isolated from the radio gear... not because something bad is going to happen if you don't, its just a precaution; reduce the risks for interference or failure... one battery to power everything may work fine, but its not the use of one battery that concerns me, its all the electronic devices daisy chained together so you can use just the one battery... just to many potential points of failure for my liking... I may be just overly concerned, anything can fail at anytime, receivers, servos, switches, batteries, even plug / connectors can fail... so at some point you just have to throw caution into the wind, you've done the best you can do to protect your investments and make it as safe and reliable as possible.

John M,
Well Ill be d---md. Someone with common sense!
Old 06-13-2015, 11:42 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Call it what you will DB ... I've been it this hobby a long time... I've learned from my own mistakes, others mistakes, and just general observations... the technology has come a long way, simplifying and making things possible we wouldn't have dreamed of 35-40 years ago... but that doesn't mean you take it for granted... when you look at the systems in real world aircraft, you don't just see one of anything that is a critical system!... there's backup system after back backup system... especially with the bigger aircraft,, the more complex the backup systems become... complexity can bring its own set of inherent issues, electronics can and do fail... not saying these little electronic wonders that we have at our disposal to make our lives a lot easier in this hobby are going to fail, but they can, and that's where the redundancy comes into play... so I look at this hobby is a similar light, you want the utmost reliability and safety features without a lot complexity... how safe and reliable do you think the B2 bomber would be if it only had one flight control computer and no backup system(s), I wouldn't even set foot inside it.

John M,
Old 06-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Truckracer

About the only thing redundant about the airplanes I can afford to sit my butt in and fly would be the ignition system or perhaps a 2nd Nav/Com radio. Kind of a big stretch to compare one of our RC planes to a B2 don't you think?
Old 06-13-2015, 12:49 PM
dirtybird

My last job was doing safety of flight tests on the 787 flight control computers. It has three. Even so they had manual backup. Not direct manual backup. You controlled the A/C with servos. Not unlike the way we fly our airplanes.
Remember full scale A/C fly for several hours at a time.
Our A/C fly for less than an hour and then are available for checking. Reliability specifications are stated as MTBF or mean time between failure.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:55 PM
acerc

OMG! Now we are to compare our toy's with the "real" big boys? Give me a break. I'll do it my way, uh huh-uh huh. And whom ever can do it however elsewise. I'm outta here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.