Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

small gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:23 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small gas engines

i have flown nitro for many years. i like them and wouldn't waste my money on a small gas engine. the savings ain't enough unless you run a 50cc gas engine or larger. with a big plane you need one. with a 40-90 size you don't. they arn't reliable enough for me. every thread i have read there a problem with the engines. the norvel ain't profected and neither is the ngh 9 cc. why spend 200.00 on a small gasser when a 46 nitro only cost half and they run very good. os engines,magnum, thunder tiger, enya and asp. i read all this trial and error people are doing pulling there hair out trying to get these gas engines running right.why doesn't the factory that makes them ......do this and sell you an engine that runs reliable. i can't see it. but thats my .2 cents on the matter and i can buy alot of glow fuel for 200.00.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:27 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

While the 10cc gas class continue to be a pain in the butt, the 20's are ironed out, and most gas newbies catch on to those pretty easily. Suit yourself though....
Old 07-04-2015, 06:03 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Nice thing about this hobby, you get to do what you like. I have no more glow engines that I use and like the much cleaner planes as well as only a few bucks spent to fly all week. To each his own and as long as you are happy so be it!
I have aVV20 and a DLE 35 ra.........
Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have to wonder why you feel you need to start such a thread
Old 07-04-2015, 06:26 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Especially in the gas engine section....
Old 07-04-2015, 07:43 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They tell new guys to ask me a lot at the field and I have a current standard answer.
for engine sizes:
0 to .40 cu electric
.40 cu to 1 cu glow
1 cu and up gas
This is always going to change and there are exceptions to any rules.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to agree and don't generally even participate in the threads about small gasoline engines. For me, the break point is 20cc. 20cc and above, gas is the way to go. Below that, stick with glow. If the cost of glow fuel is getting to you, then mix your own fuel. Go to a automotive speed shop or race track, or a go kart racing outlet, and buy pure methanol. Mix it with the proper percentage of oil and go for it. If the engine was designed for use with nitro, then you might get better results with this home brew fuel if you raise the compression a bit, and/or use a hotter glow plug.

AV8TOR
Old 07-05-2015, 08:09 AM
dirtybird

I like small gas engines because that were all that were available when I was a kid. I wish i could get a hold of a Brown Jr or a Phantom P30.
Then i would show you young fts a thing or two
Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I like small gas engines because that were all that were available when I was a kid. I wish i could get a hold of a Brown Jr or a Phantom P30.
Then i would show you young fts a thing or two
I agree with you on gas engines above 16cc; glow for me below that. And I hope you get a Phantom P30, and experience what a PITA it was then. It will be very disappointing now compared to even the Chinese crap. Been there done that. Not looking back. I started with glow engines in 1953, but my uncle had a P30 in a hydroplane way before that. They were never able to keep it running. Maybe you could now though.

I have a Super Champion 60 with a McCoy Redhead head on it. It was converted to glow before I got it. Flew it CL. Likely you could get or make the points and buy the coil and capacitor for it. It still has the cam for the points on the crank. Make me an offer.
Sincerely, Richard
AMA 861960
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
YS F 120; Super Champion 60; Rhino 100; Cameron 19; Fox 35, K&B 29, 35, 40, 65;
Como .91; ASP .91, 1.08; Kraft 61; OS 15, 25, 40, 46, 60, 61, 80; HB 15, 25, 61;
Royal 25; Evolution 36, 46, 61; Echo 16cc glow; Echo 22 cc Ign.
Zenoah G23 ECDI, Ryobi 31, Ryobi four stroke, O&R Industrial 1 hp,
Allpina A330, Various Poulan, Weedeater, and Homelite, etc, etc.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:20 AM
dirtybird

I had an Atwood Super Champion .A good engine but if yours has been hacked up and run on glow i dont think I want it.
I tend to get rid of my engines once I am thru with them. Too bad, I had some good ones. How about a Morton M5? I sold mine for $13.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:41 PM
geeter

i never said i didn't like gas engines......i do like them however i can't see why the factory doesn't make them to run better. i see threads where people are changing mufflers on them, drilling holes in the muffs, adding bigger pressure taps, changing carbs, changing carb parts even trying nitro carbs on them. just make them so they run good and i would buy one it's just all these threads are confusing sometimes. maybe i should stop reading them .......huh.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Gizmo-RCU

my engines run really well......what holes, pressure taps changing carbs??????????
AM I CONFUSED OR ARE YOU?????
Old 07-07-2015, 03:29 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The small gas engines are a huge boon to those modellers who cannot get glow fuel in their locales. Even here in the USA there are areas where glow fuel is difficult to get and very expensive. There are countries and islands for that matter where glow fuel is just about impossible to get. Thus you cannot effectively use a glow engine in those conditions. So gasoline or petrol is the only way to go. Now granted you might be able to use model diesel fuel with a model diesel engine, but even it has become tightly regulated due to the ether used in it. So it may or may not be a possibility either.

But yes some of the small gas engine brands are not really for newbies or beginners. But other brands are better though. The small engines tend to be more tricky to get to work right.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:19 AM
geeter

gizmo......read the threads on the norvel and ngh 9 cc gas engines. you will see that i'm not confused at all. sure there are gas engines that run decent but the only one that is about 90% is the evolution 10 and 15 cc. nice gas engines.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Gizmo-RCU

Nerver read them as I really have no interest in those little engines at this time, not to say there is anything wrong with them or the concept. The larger engines (of good quality) run well unless someone fiddles with them..........for the most part. From what I have seen the smaller gas engines are about the same as the glow engines of the same size with a little more weight for ignition and batterys in many cases.

I think these little engines need a little more time for improvement from what I have seen at our field?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:49 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geeter
i never said i didn't like gas engines......i do like them however i can't see why the factory doesn't make them to run better. i see threads where people are changing mufflers on them, drilling holes in the muffs, adding bigger pressure taps, changing carbs, changing carb parts even trying nitro carbs on them. just make them so they run good and i would buy one it's just all these threads are confusing sometimes. maybe i should stop reading them .......huh.
It sounds like you need to get out with people that fly small gas powered airplanes. Do you have any friends? Like to help you understand what you need to know????? Other than that go & disappear from gas forums..........
Old 07-09-2015, 05:37 AM
geeter

i fly with people with gas planes, buy the way. also i have many friends that i fly with. i don't need to know about gas engines either i have had them before and know all about them. im not disappearing from the gas engine forum either....have a nice day..
Old 07-09-2015, 06:34 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for what its worth,,Ive flown Zenoahs for years,,and to this day,have experienced no problems whatsoever All stock,nothing added, nothing taken away.
TAZZZZ
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 AM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by geeter
d
How an engine runs depends a lot on the operator. The manufacturer can only supply the engine. The rest is up to you
Old 07-16-2015, 06:41 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 Capt,n
Old 07-19-2015, 10:06 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I had an Atwood Super Champion .A good engine but if yours has been hacked up and run on glow i dont think I want it.
I tend to get rid of my engines once I am thru with them. Too bad, I had some good ones. How about a Morton M5? I sold mine for $13.
Sold mine for $495.oo
BCCHI