Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Os gt10

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
superfli
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Os gt10

Bought me one of these little gassers and it's giving me problems. Initially I was able to get it started but couldn't keep it running. Now I cant even get it to fire. I've been trying now for a couple of days. Any one out there with any experience with this? Tried to get in touch with Tower Hobbies but was on the phone for 20 minutes waiting. Finally gave up and hung up.

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the glow plug went bad on you. That is quite common with new engines. Minute tiny bits of swarf inside the engine gets picked up, combusted inside and coats the glow plug element. Also some minute tiny bits of metal on a new engine gets scrubbed off and suspended inside and coats the glow plug coil. Sometimes running a engine rich for break in would damage a plug and sometimes it is just plain bad luck too. Anyway, I think you just need to get a couple three spare glow plugs. That ought to do the trick. You aren't the only one to have the problem. With regular glow engines, I always stick in a used glow plug to test run the engine with at first. Then later put in the new plug (if the engine came with it).

I would accumulate used plugs from when I am at the flying field and the engine is acting up, I would put in a new plug to see if that corrected the problem or not. Thus I wind up with some used plugs that way. But since the OS GGT10 is so new, then people aren't likely to have used plugs laying around yet.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 AM
superfli

Well when I pulled out the G.P. the element was lit. Not as bright as the G.P. on a glow engine but the manual actually says that the element wont be as bright due to the lower flash point of gasoline. I wonder if I am lacking compression. I know the pump is working cause with the throttle in wide out and my thumb over it when I flip the prop. I eventually have gas dripping out of it.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:54 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is possible for the glow plug to light up OK but still not ignite the fuel. Minute metal particles coat the coil rendering it ineffective then.
But if you have fuel dripping out the engine, then you likely flooded it out. They won't start when flooded.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:03 PM
superfli

Well I will have to get a new G.P..
Old 08-20-2015, 03:38 PM
superfli

Well I sent the engine back to Tower as the glow plugs are on back order. They said they stuck it on a test stand and the motor started and idled just fine. They let it cool down and said it started right up again. Go figure.... I just told them to send it back to me. I just don't get it!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:08 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Are you using a starter?
Old 08-21-2015, 06:18 PM
superfli

Yes, my starter is my Craftsman cordless drill.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:47 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Wondering what might happen if it were to be spun up a little faster than what some drills are able? Have you tried a conventional starter?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:13 AM
superfli

Well here's the deal. Just got the engine back from Tower and I mounted it back up on the plane. I again spun it with my drill. Nothing. I then decided to try it using my old starter I used when I flew glow. I had to hook it up to my car charger as I no longer have a battery for it. Man alive that thing really spun it. After leaning out the high end abit it started right up. Once started I richened up the high end to keep it running. Well it seems that the only way to get this thing running is with that starter. Once I get the cowl on and the plane balanced I will give you a flight report on this. This motor is on the Stinger II.

Regards,

Superfli
Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey, regarding a battery for that old starter? Faced with the same situation when I got my Evo 10, I set my 30 year old Sullivan starter up to run on a pair of 3 cell Lipos I had laying around (I used 2200's). Best move I ever made! I had to switch over to a silicone starter insert to get it to grip without burning the spinners! Will easily start a 20cc gas, and I've started 30cc with it. Charge lasts nearly an entire season....
Old 02-20-2016, 08:08 PM
armandolenzi

Originally Posted by superfli
Bought me one of these little gassers and it's giving me problems. Initially I was able to get it started but couldn't keep it running. Now I cant even get it to fire. I've been trying now for a couple of days. Any one out there with any experience with this? Tried to get in touch with Tower Hobbies but was on the phone for 20 minutes waiting. Finally gave up and hung up.

Thanks,

hello, superfli

i bought recently this engine i was so excited about it, BUT, the engine on the earliest starts was great as the manuals says i ran it with amsoil @20:1 on the break in. but from the beginning it was pretty stable but in idle it was really unstable.

things that i've changed and found some achievement:

- use 11x5 prop
- oil ratio 50:1
- remove the fuel pump and relocated off the engine in order to cool it down during flights.
- and change from amsoil to motul 800

with these changes i was able to notice the bests results from the engine. but it was not enough, i mount the engine on my hangar 9 meridian, with the original fuel tank the airplane has a flight time around 40 minutes nonstop, but some around 15-20 minutes the engine seems to stall @ nearly full throttle.

another issue, from factory some screws or ALL screws where pretty loose. on the 3rd or 4th flight the engine flame out in mid air, when i checked the carb came out completely. i screwed on again but if you tighten well the carb drum gets jammed

thats all that i have so far, i'm taking the engine down and put it on my hobico avistar to see if i can get more patience and see if i can get it run right.

cheers
Old 02-22-2016, 11:44 AM
superfli

You might want to buy the highest octane fuel you can get. I noticed a difference in mine running premium fuel. Have you made any adjustments to your low end needle valve?
Old 08-13-2017, 02:54 PM
robp

Default OS GGT10 gas

I don't know about rest you. I got this engine on my p-51. From day out box always been hard to start. If I finally get it running I run it for just little bit 1 or 2 minutes and it gets so HOT you can't touch it. After letting it cool down ig will start but gets hot . Had custom muffler on it; so put on stock 'one; same problem. Needle is very sensitive both top and bottom one.. I am going try send it back and hope get my money back., If know a fix I will try what ever is left.
Thanks RP
Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 PM
the pope

I have about 15 x 10min flights with mine . Absolutely no issues what so ever . Follow the instructions to the letter . I used the oil the importer recommended , not cheap but hearing people with issues I didnt want them saying I used the wrong stuff if I had problems . I have adjusted the needles last time out as I think its breaking in . I like my engine , standard gas as the instructions say . They do run a bit hotter but thats petrol . Your not using too big a prop ?Cheers
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 AM
superfli

Hello all,

I own one of these motors and I have made some adjustment to the low end on the carb. Does any one know how many turns out this setting should be to for decent performance?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tom