Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20 muffler question...again; Sheeeh.... let's try it with PICTURES this time.

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20 muffler question...again; Sheeeh.... let's try it with PICTURES this time.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DLE 20 muffler question...again; Sheeeh.... let's try it with PICTURES this time.

Good night! I never imagined I would have so much trouble trying to get folks to understand my question.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A DLE-20 ENGINE WITH THE FACTORY SIDE MOUNT MUFFLER? (ie; not the DLE 20RA rear muffler)

If so, would you kindly flip the muffler around on the engine pointing down, and tell me if it can be fastened to the engine that way .......just as I have illustrated in my photo. Thank you.

EDIT; Mr Hicks. I appreciate yor input at that other place, but I'd like to get at least one more affirmation before I order the engine believing I can do this. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	3.88 MB
ID:	2114958  

Last edited by rustyrivet; 08-17-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:18 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Fair enough. I might be tempted to call Valley View to see if they might have an opinion. -Al
Old 08-18-2015, 04:27 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an engine I run like that. I fail to see why it would cause a problem with the operation of the engine. There might be a clearance problem with the mount rail you have to sort out, but that's it. You could try to fab up a spacer if that's the case.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:00 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey when I answered I first went down in the basement opened a boxed DLE 20 side exhaust bolted it on and measured where the stack ended and how much extension would be required.

It fits, up or down. I have even flown both ways.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:52 PM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by kmeyers
Hey when I answered I first went down in the basement opened a boxed DLE 20 side exhaust bolted it on and measured where the stack ended and how much extension would be required.

Kmeyers,

Yes, you sure did. Thanks.....and sorry for my not giving you your due credit too, just as I had done with Mr.Hicks. I got so frustrated with some of the replies on that other thread and also at RCOnline, that I immeditaely set out to make this new thread with illustrations so they can see the simplicity of what I'm talking about. I'm not looking to conceal a wrap-around-muffler in a scale tight cowl. The engine head will be exposed out in the open wind, so I'd just as soon not have to search for custom machined parts, or be paying Jtec $100 or more for a fancy custom muffler.

BTW......talk about some frustrating replies; did you see that one photo submitted to me showing me an engine mounted in the plane with the pipe facing straight up in your face?.... really?
Old 08-18-2015, 04:14 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyrivet
Kmeyers,

Yes, you sure did. Thanks.....and sorry for my not giving you your due credit too, just as I had done with Mr.Hicks. I got so frustrated with some of the replies on that other thread and also at RCOnline, that I immeditaely set out to make this new thread with illustrations so they can see the simplicity of what I'm talking about. I'm not looking to conceal a wrap-around-muffler in a scale tight cowl. The engine head will be exposed out in the open wind, so I'd just as soon not have to search for custom machined parts, or be paying Jtec $100 or more for a fancy custom muffler.

BTW......talk about some frustrating replies; did you see that one photo submitted to me showing me an engine mounted in the plane with the pipe facing straight up in your face?.... really?
Thanks for the slap in the face to those of us who responded on that "other thread"! Your post requested a muffler that could be mounted in the direction you requested and two early posts provided links to companies that supply exactly what you were looking for. Others suggested the same info you claim as wonderful in this thread. Did you even bother to read all the replies to your request?Yes, I'll be sure to respond to any questions you have in the future ..... NOT!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:23 AM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Thanks for the slap in the face to those of us who responded on that "other thread"! Your post requested a muffler that could be mounted in the direction you requested and two early posts provided links to companies that supply exactly what you were looking for. Others suggested the same info you claim as wonderful in this thread. Did you even bother to read all the replies to your request?Yes, I'll be sure to respond to any questions you have in the future ..... NOT!

I apologize to you and the others who I may have offended. I actually had to revisit that thread to see what I had originally been asking, and why it seemed to me you wouldn't answer my question about inverting the factory muffler. Silly me.....you didn't answer the question about inverting it, because that's not what I asked in my opening topic! LOL (Geeez....and I don't even drink!)

What happened was that over the duration of the two threads, the question in my mind quickly transformed into the question; Can I just use the factory muffler by inverting it?

Thanks, and again.... sorry about that
Old 08-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyrivet
I apologize to you and the others who I may have offended. I actually had to revisit that thread to see what I had originally been asking, and why it seemed to me you wouldn't answer my question about inverting the factory muffler. Silly me.....you didn't answer the question about inverting it, because that's not what I asked in my opening topic! LOL (Geeez....and I don't even drink!)

What happened was that over the duration of the two threads, the question in my mind quickly transformed into the question; Can I just use the factory muffler by inverting it?

Thanks, and again.... sorry about that
Rusty, thanks for coming back with an explanation. Also, I should apologize for going off in a huff! Things like that happen on the various forums when we're not talking face to face.

Regarding your muffler, I don't have a DLE 20 here, but I do have a VV 20 and a whole bunch of other DLE engines. All of these engines allow the stock muffler to be inverted or upright so I can't believe the DLE 20 is any different. The only problem I see is the exhaust stack goes from a rearward position to a more forward one. The aftermarket mufflers can have the pipe(s) exit wherever you prefer them to be, you just have to specify your preference. Good luck with the project and again, sorry for me going off in a huff.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:53 AM
rustyrivet

kmeyers,
I've come to find out that we can be talking about different production runs with different mufflers. It seems that the older DLE production run of last year or earlier, had the muffler pipe in the center. The newer production run (which I am illustrating in this thread) has both the inlet and pipe offset to one side which probably can't be inverterted the way I am showing it.

Older style production muffler I need and is no longer available;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXANVP&P=7

Offset style muffler supplied with current production engine; ( which I'm guessing cannot be inverted as I illustrate it)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDKKH&P=7
Old 08-20-2015, 11:56 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am starting to think you are a glass half empty kind of person.

You need to get an engine on the plane and fly it.

Pick an engine based on what makes sense to you. Then you can address the muffler.

As far as the exhaust stack on the new DLE 20 side exhaust engine goes, 100% sure it is 180 degree rotatable.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM
rustyrivet

I am starting to think you are a glass half empty kind of person.

You need to get an engine on the plane and fly it.

Pick an engine based on what makes sense to you. Then you can address the muffler.

As far as the exhaust stack on the new DLE 20 side exhaust engine goes, 100% sure it is 180 degree rotatable.

I hadn't ordered an engine yet and was trying to plan ahead and know what to expect. I research everything and plan it out carefully. Plotting my projects with to-do lists, and thenn ordering the parts, are half of the fun when I build. So, YES, if being anal and fussing over the detail is being a "glass half-empty" kind of guy......well then I concede that you pegged me. LOL

First I had considered buying a 95-100 sized YS or Saito 4-stroke. I had never owned a 4-stroke or gas engine, but 4 stroke engines are good looking for an Astro Hog, and the muffler will mount as is with the engine upright. BUT, the more I thought about it, I wondered if the 4 stroke I received would be a lemon and shake the tail off of the plane. (As so go so many stories of 4-stroke engines being shakers and movers) Finally, I sumized that a gallon of gasoline is a lot cheaper then a $40 gallon of glow fuel. BUT, it kind of bothers me if I had to order a custom muffler for a DLE, when it's not required with a 4 stroke or even a 2 stroke. I don't mind if it's $29 + shipping. But I would mind if it was an $89 J-Tec.

Ok. I'll leave it at that. Thanks.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 08-20-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:43 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If shaking is a concern, especially on idle, you may not like the gasser either. Flying wires on planes like the one you're talking about are the rule rather than the exception for good reason.

Yes, gassers shake. Many new gas converts are horrified. You get use to them though, and I've never had one shake a plane apart - yet.

You could consider a compromise and go with a 4 stroke gasser. Check into the Saito's if that sounds appealing. Add the price of that Jtec to the price of the DLE, and it may not be that much further to reach.....