Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas to glo plug.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:51 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmeyers
Off the top of my head 3 places come to mind, but, since Bill sold C&H to Adrian. Here is one place:
C&H (10mm-1/4in 3
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/index.ph...oller=category
I have them if you can not find one.$10.00 plus P&H No gaskets .Take a gasket off CM.6
BCCHI
Old 12-07-2015, 10:55 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by kerwin50
I really don't want to put another gasket under the cylinder. That will change my port timing.
I was wondering if the oil ratio would vary the timing.
Could I add an extra squish band under the adaptor to reduce the compression.
What are some of the other glow plugs I've hears mentioned
I have not had time to try the gasket thing yet,but cannot change port timing much,might make it better.Got more bench run time on the Valley View 20.It seems to do real well. do not no about other glo plugs but have several I am going to try.
BCCHI
Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by bcchi
I have not had time to try the gasket thing yet,but cannot change port timing much,might make it better.Got more bench run time on the Valley View 20.It seems to do real well. do not no about other glo plugs but have several I am going to try.
BCCHI
Could not change compression much with gasket on adapter.You need the glo coil down in the combustion chamber as far as you can get it.Will run on O>S four stroke plug but idle is crappy.I do not use a gasket on the adapter at all.
BCCHI
Old 12-08-2015, 07:18 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
I have a lot of hours flying this setup with numerous different engines. It uses a mix of 1/3 glow fuel to 2/3's gas. This provides enough methanol for a reliable catalytic reaction with the OS four stroke glow plug we used. Very reliable operation with easy starting, a very low idle speed, and a noticeable power gain. Interesting that OS jumped on the Gas/Glow "bandwagon". I too wonder what the difference is with their GG glow plug.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engi...-glow-how.html

AV8TOR
Aviator, I have a couple questions regarding the 1/3 glow/2/3 gas mix. Have you tried avgas/glow mix?

Since coming to gas from glow 6 years ago, besides the ease and convenience and low expense, it has been great to keep bearing rust out of my engines. Gas engines simply don't require any extra after run procedures that I used with big block glow. Since you have run the mix for years, what has the experience been in regard to rust protection and bearing failures? Is this the caveat or a no-brainer?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had any problems with rust nor bearing failures, but then I use an after run procedure. In order to clear the nitro and methanol out of the engine and carb, I run the engine with an after run fuel that is Coleman Camp Fuel with 20:1 Pennzoil and a dash of Sta-Bil. You have to keep the glow plug heat on to run it, but it removes the nitro and methanol from the engine, and gives it a stable, oily coating and solves any fuel system or engine rust issues. At the end of the run on the "Storage Fuel", I run the engine at full throttle, then choke it to kill it. Then I leave about a half tank of the storage fuel in the plane, and cap off the vent tube. Some people might think this is overkill or a hassle, but I have a lot of planes, and some of them sit for a year or more before I get around to flying them again. I like the extra insurance of having them well prepared for storage, and I also do it on my ignition engines.

I haven't run Avgas with the Gas/Glow mix, but it might not be a problem. Some of the engines, Ryobis being one of them detonated slightly unless you used Premium gasoline in the mix. The higher octane of the Avgas would be good for sensitive engines, but the lead in the Avgas might lead to more frequent glow plug problems. Only trying it would tell....

AV8TOR

Added note. Some people fly with Coleman Fuel and swear by it. This is only my two cents worth, but I would never fly any engine with Coleman Fuel, and only use it as an after run, storage fuel. It has only around 50 or 60 octane, and most all engine manufacturers spec at least 87 octane. My Gas/Glow engines run significantly hotter while I run them on the storage fuel made with Coleman Camp Fuel, and I don't recommend using it for any other purpose myself.

Last edited by av8tor1977; 12-09-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 PM
MTK

Thanks Aviator, it makes sense.
I guess the pros are:

Lower weight. This can be a big deal in the flying I am interested in
Higher output? More rpm and torque I'd guess. Could also be a big deal if a smaller engine would spool up the same prop at the same rpm and mid range

Cons:
A little higher expense for fuel
A little more slime? It looks like around 3% oil in the mix of the type used in glow engines
Glow plug fouling after X runs? Spark plug will run at least one season (maybe 400 flights) using avgas. The lead needs cleaning after 15 gallons or so

I have an OS 15cc ignition engine now that is a bit anemic on gas alone. Sweet runner and super quiet on the stock muffler but power is just so so. I may have to take a look at what can be done with this engine.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 AM
kerwin50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What glow plugs have you used?
Have you used the OS gas glow?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:36 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by kerwin50
What glow plugs have you used?
Have you used the OS gas glow?
Yes I am using the OS Gas glo plug,am going to play around with some other glo plugs.
BCCHI
Old 12-11-2015, 05:52 PM
MTK

Yes I am using the OS Gas glo plug,am going to play around with some other glo plugs.
BCCHI
Bill...... did I read somewhere that you sell the adapters to convert a gassie to a glow?
Old 01-03-2016, 02:38 PM
kerwin50

I tried the os glow plug on my DLE 30. She wanted to start backwards when flipping it. But bumping it backwards she fire right up in the right direction. I wasn't that impressed with the idle though.
I got my adaptor from valleyview rc. I over tighen it and twisted the hex portion off it. My fault.
Does anyone know where I can get a 14 mm to glow adaptor. I'm wanting to try the glowplug on a conversion engine
Old 01-03-2016, 10:52 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by MTK
Bill...... did I read somewhere that you sell the adapters to convert a gasser to a glow?
I have the 10MM to 1/4x32 adapters S10.00 plus $5.00 Priority mail. I do not have gaskets for 10 MM but you can take one off a CM 6 spark plug.I haven't been using a gasket on the adaptor..
Have been bench running the Valley View 20 on glo plug seems to be very good. Too cold to fly this time of year,but we have no snow or wind.
BCCHI Grumpy old CH guy.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM
marksz1
My Feedback: (2)

I have a GGT15 glow/gas and also a GT15 with ignition. The glow version runs a bit stronger in all rpm ranges. Very quick throttle response. I have only run mine on Echo weed wacker fuel, from Home Depot since I have not been able to purchase any ethanol free gas around here. I was afraid to run ethanol since it is so corrosive, but may try it as well as different octane ratings. 87 /91/ 94 octane may change the timing on a glow/gas engine, just the same as nitro content in a regular glow does. The Echo small engine fuel has stabilizer, synthetic oil, and is 94 octane pure gasoline. It works very well, even making an old chain saw that I had given up on run like it was new. (it overheated/shut down repeatedly on ethanol laced fuel) Anyways these glow/gas engines are the usual high quality we have come to expect from OS. I feel there will be "copycat" glow plugs in the near future, and if they are low quality they may turn people away from this concept. But hey small nuclear reactors the size of a pencil eraser are probably on the way LOL these will be able to lift a 54 lb model airplane with ease..................................PS you do need a fresh charge on the glow igniter to get the GGT plug filament hot enough to start the engine.

Also on the DLE 20cc a higher octane may stop the detonation.

Wife and I hope to visit Wyoming one day...........been most everywhere else.

Last edited by marksz1; 01-05-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by marksz1
I have a GGT15 glow/gas and also a GT15 with ignition. The glow version runs a bit stronger in all rpm ranges. Very quick throttle response. I have only run mine on Echo weed wacker fuel, from Home Depot since I have not been able to purchase any ethanol free gas around here. I was afraid to run ethanol since it is so corrosive, but may try it as well as different octane ratings. 87 /91/ 94 octane may change the timing on a glow/gas engine, just the same as nitro content in a regular glow does. The Echo small engine fuel has stabilizer, synthetic oil, and is 94 octane pure gasoline. It works very well, even making an old chain saw that I had given up on run like it was new. (it overheated/shut down repeatedly on ethanol laced fuel) Anyways these glow/gas engines are the usual high quality we have come to expect from OS. I feel there will be "copycat" glow plugs in the near future, and if they are low quality they may turn people away from this concept. But hey small nuclear reactors the size of a pencil eraser are probably on the way LOL these will be able to lift a 54 lb model airplane with ease..................................PS you do need a fresh charge on the glow igniter to get the GGT plug filament hot enough to start the engine.

Also on the DLE 20cc a higher octane may stop the detonation.

Wife and I hope to visit Wyoming one day...........been most everywhere else.
Have not had time to do any more R&D on the glo gas thing. Winter finally came to WY.I am building air planes. Did run the Valley View 20 on the test bench with glo plug seemed to do very well.I will try some new gas in the 20 when it warms up. Funny it turned the same RPM as it did on spark.Maybe is not detonation.
Come to WY. Beautiful state.We are about two hours from Grand Teton Na park and three hours from Yellowstone.Do not come this time of year although our winter right here are not bad.Most storms miss us. But can get cold. Never seen it below -54 below 0.Little chilly .The way you can tell if it is really cold. Throw a glass of water into the air. If it freezes before it hits the ground it"s cold. Takes about minus 40 to 45.
The G-26 with the long thread spark plug will not run on glo plug.
BCCHI Grumpy old CH guy.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:19 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I was in Wyoming once. I will never forget it. I was on my way to see my cousin in Big Timber Mt. It happened to be when the first Russian astronaut was flying over our heads.
I stayed in a motel in Cody. The next morning I was having breakfast, and the radio was on. It said"Last night there were two muggings,one rape, and a knife attack. Then I overheard one waitress say to the other"Well we got thru that night without much trouble".
I paid for my breakfast with a $10 bill. I got 7 silver dollars back in change.
Maybe things have changed a bit. I suspect you won't get silver dollars in change anymore.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I was in Wyoming once. I will never forget it. I was on my way to see my cousin in Big Timber Mt. It happened to be when the first Russian astronaut was flying over our heads.
I stayed in a motel in Cody. The next morning I was having breakfast, and the radio was on. It said"Last night there were two muggings,one rape, and a knife attack. Then I overheard one waitress say to the other"Well we got thru that night without much trouble".
I paid for my breakfast with a $10 bill. I got 7 silver dollars back in change.
Maybe things have changed a bit. I suspect you won't get silver dollars in change anymore.
No more silver dollars.Tried to give a silver dollar to a girl at the drive in at Bassett Ne and she would not take it. She showed it to the mgr and came out and ask ,do you have more of these. LOL
BCCHI
Old 01-20-2016, 07:20 AM
dirtybird

I wish I had kept those silver dollars. In fact I wish I had went to the bank and got a bag full.
I spent mine for dinner in Big Timber with my cousin.

I have one of those glow plugs being shipped. Tower was suppused to email me when the were in stock. They didn't

Last edited by dirtybird; 01-20-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-21-2016, 08:16 PM
bcchi

I wish I had kept those silver dollars. In fact I wish I had went to the bank and got a bag full.
I spent mine for dinner in Big Timber with my cousin.

I have one of those glow plugs being shipped. Tower was suppused to email me when the were in stock. They didn't
They must be selling a lot of them as they just got them in a few weeks
ago. I bought a dozen,surprised I got them.
BCCHI
Old 01-22-2016, 09:56 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BCCHI, Sure am glad you are on-line & doing some research on engines. What got me into this hobby is my love for engines ! Take Care & say Hi to our friend Ralph. Tell him to get online more...miss him.........
Old 01-23-2016, 11:03 PM
MTK

I have the 10MM to 1/4x32 adapters S10.00 plus $5.00 Priority mail. I do not have gaskets for 10 MM but you can take one off a CM 6 spark plug.I haven't been using a gasket on the adaptor..
Have been bench running the Valley View 20 on glo plug seems to be very good. Too cold to fly this time of year,but we have no snow or wind.
BCCHI Grumpy old CH guy.
Bill would you email me your address please? Or do you take pAYPAL? The engine is the OS GT15 with the standard thread CM6 plug. Its a little down on power and it sounds like I can get more ponies with the glow plug.

BTW FYI- the OS G5 glow plug is item number OS-71655001 on RCJapan's website. Cost is 765Yen or around 6 bucks.
I ordered from them recently. The order was about 200$ US (about 40% what tower was charging for the same things) and shipping cost was about 18$. It took 2 1/2 weeks to get to me from Japan. They have all sorts of parts we need for the popular Japanese engines we run gas and glow. They export genuine original parts only

Last edited by MTK; 01-24-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:45 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by MTK
Bill would you email me your address please? Or do you take pAYPAL? The engine is the OS GT15 with the standard thread CM6 plug. Its a little down on power and it sounds like I can get more ponies with the glow plug.
3420 Chandelle Blvd,Riverton Wy.
Do you need adapter and glo plug or just adapter.
BCCHI Do not take any cards any more.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:47 PM
bcchi

3420 Chandelle Blvd,Riverton Wy.
Do you need adapter and glo plug or just adapter.
BCCHI Do not take any cards any more.
zip code 82501
Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 AM
MTK

zip code 82501
Thanks Bill,
I am sending a check for two adapters, plus snh. I will get glow plugs from RCJapan.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:00 PM
dirtybird

I got one of those plugs and intend to try it tomorrow on a NGH26. I am using a 25/1 mixture. Would that be a problem?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 PM
bcchi

I got one of those plugs and intend to try it tomorrow on a NGH26. I am using a 25/1 mixture. Would that be a problem?
I do not no what NGH 26 is. Does it have roller bearing rod wrist pin bearings. If it does 25x1 should be OK.
BC
Old 01-27-2016, 05:10 AM
dirtybird

It does not have a roller bearing rod. But the MFG says 25/1 and I have had it and flown it for several years with that mixture My concern was the plug on that mixture.
If you are curious about the NGH engines go to agaperacing.com. I think they are the best small Chinese engines.

I tried it and never got a pop out of it. I will try again tomorrow. I will run it first on ignition to warm it up then switch it to the gas-glow plug and try it again

Last edited by dirtybird; 01-27-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.