Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Hard to start dle35r please help!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Hard to start dle35r please help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:17 PM
montemadness71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start dle35r please help!!!!!!!!

I have a DLE35R on a Extra 330 from Pilot RC. It is a pain to start, I would say it takes about 30 flips just to get it to pop. Once it gets started my arm to tired to hold the radio LOL. I have read threads to full choke full throttle with the ignition off for about 10 flips. Then about 1/8 of throttle with the ignition on. But it still doesn't work. Once the motor runs, It runs great. I'm thinking about sending it off to have DLE to have them look at it. But first I like to Know if anyone as had this same problems? I don't know if the timing is off a little. Or what, I do know it is getting fuel because the pipes have gas on the tubes. But I did see a small air bubble in the line. So when I flip the prop the bubble goes into the tee, then back out. Almost like it isn't getting gas. Even though it is winter here in Ohio I still want to get this motor running with less flips. Because there is still good flying weather right now.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:35 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A low speed needle setting that's a hair lean can make these things a real PIA to start. Try it a quarter turn richer to see if that helps. If not, you can turn it back to where it was easily. If it does help, you can tweak a little as needed.

A little rich in cooler weather will never hurt a thing...
Old 12-07-2015, 06:41 PM
dubs1946

There are so many possibility's on why?.
The quickest and best solution for you is use an electric starter.
It will save your arm and maybe your fingers.
I never start my gas engines by hand always with an electric starter.
If it will not start with the electric starter then you most certainly have a problem that's when you need someone with gas engine knowledge to help you.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If this is a new engine, I would read through the RCexl sensor problems sticky at the top of Gas Engines forum first page. If you have any of the listed symptoms, you might find that replacing the sensor will improve starting. Not all sensors are bad but certainly quite a few seem to have problems. At least worth a check to see if you have one of the bad ones.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:09 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 35RA is probably the easiest starting engine I own. When the engine was brand new I reworked the reed cage some to get the reeds to sit flat. It's been a pleasure to operate the engine since.

To draw gas for the first run of the day I just rock the prop back and forth against compression a dozen times or so, with throttle at full, choke on and ign OFF. That usually gets the carb ready. If you see air bubbles in your line, it's not normal. See if you can eliminate them

Then throttle to low plus a couple clicks, choke OFF and Ign ON. It usually takes 1 or 2 flips and she's off. BTW- my starting technique is not much different than that for a glow engine. I don't use ignition ON and Choke ON, ever, ( recommended by some). Not necessary.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by montemadness71
I have a DLE35R on a Extra 330 from Pilot RC. It is a pain to start, I would say it takes about 30 flips just to get it to pop. Once it gets started my arm to tired to hold the radio LOL. I have read threads to full choke full throttle with the ignition off for about 10 flips. Then about 1/8 of throttle with the ignition on. But it still doesn't work. Once the motor runs, It runs great. I'm thinking about sending it off to have DLE to have them look at it. But first I like to Know if anyone as had this same problems? I don't know if the timing is off a little. Or what, I do know it is getting fuel because the pipes have gas on the tubes. But I did see a small air bubble in the line. So when I flip the prop the bubble goes into the tee, then back out. Almost like it isn't getting gas. Even though it is winter here in Ohio I still want to get this motor running with less flips. Because there is still good flying weather right now.
Solder the hole shut in the choke butterfly will help get fuel to the carb a little quicker .Make sure choke is closing all the way.I have a DLE 35 and it hand starts very easy in a few flips.
BC
Old 12-09-2015, 05:17 PM
montemadness71

Thank You all for the advice. I will look it to all of this, When I get time to work on it. Getting spark maybe my problem, after it starts it does seem rich until I clean it out by full throttle a couple times...
Old 12-10-2015, 09:41 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by montemadness71
Thank You all for the advice. I will look it to all of this, When I get time to work on it. Getting spark maybe my problem, after it starts it does seem rich until I clean it out by full throttle a couple times...
Sounds lean and cold until full throttle a couple times....