Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE vs DA

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:30 AM
juance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DLE vs DA

Hi guys:
I am into IMAC aerobatics and I have always aimed for reliability, for obvious reasons.

Looking into buying a new engine, DA200 or DLE 222, price makes me stop and think.
I would like to have an unbiased input from both sides, that could make me take a reasonable decision.
My experience has always been with DA, and to be fair no complaints at all.

Thanks!

JC
Old 12-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

First, I have no experience with either of the engines listed so have no bias toward either one. I do own both DA and DLE engines. If I had an alliance and good experiences with DA, I'd probably stay with that company. You know its a proven product with excellent support. From that point, its just a matter of whether $ speaks louder than past experience. Where is your comfort level with each product?
Old 12-12-2015, 01:49 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The Da 200 and the DLE 222 fall outside the bell curve.

No company can make a reliable product with so few customers especially if price matters. Both of these engines are probably being developed mostly for other then hobby purposes. Those purposes hold different bench marks than you have. So they will meet the real clients purposes much more then yours.

I have heard of delivery and crank twisting problems.

I will not give any source information an these rumors.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Both engines had problems early on but both have been redesigned and crank problems seem to have been resolved. Both engines were off the market during the redesign but have been available again for most of two years or so.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:49 AM
juance

Thanks guys for your reply.
I definitively stay with the higher quality one regardless of the price. What makes me think is if there's quality with that difference in price.
Again I own a DA170 with no different than excellent performance/quality/reliability, and support is equally gooed.

JC
Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The DA 150 that I have is serial #257. It has well over 2,000 runs on it. Early on it went to DA for an update and that's the only time it's been there. IMO when talking reliability you can't beat DA. Ask any regular IMAC pilot what is used out in the field the most and the answer will always be DA.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:13 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

The 150 DA has been bullet proof from day one.Its been one of their best engines.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:01 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The DLE 222 is $1650.

The DA 200 is $2795 at DA

Even $1700 is a lot of investment not counting the rest of the investment in the airplane.

Due to problems associated with the fours, their parts count, and expense associated with the crankshaft, I'd go with the DA.

DA stands behind their product.