Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Support for Fuji Imvac engines

Old 01-24-2016, 09:33 AM
reincarnate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Support for Fuji Imvac engines

First log on in years! Looking for info on support for a Fuji 50EI. It's ran like a champ until the last few years, and I can't get it right. Have no interest in spending the dollars to change it out to a different engine.

Looking for a connection to send it to and get it repaired, since Hobbico no longer supports them. I've already rebuilt the carb (3 times) and installed and tried an RCExcel unit on it, and just want to pull it and get it in the hands of bench pro.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:17 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send an e-mail to here. Dan.

http://aeroscott.com/contact/
Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say you changed the ignition to a RCexl, Did you use the existing sensor with the new ignition.

Milton
Old 01-24-2016, 11:14 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I can recommend BJs.I have had good experience with them.

http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html
Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 AM
reincarnate

Thanks Dan. I'll give them a shot.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:45 AM
reincarnate

This was 2010. Used the RCExcel unit and and sensor. TBH, it never worked to my liking. Made it very tough to start, no matter where the sensor was positioned, and never gave any benefit. Had the whole set-up...template, protractor, buzzer, popcorn popper... Advance, retard, centered...never could get it reliable. Finally ditched it and went back to the stock. Also, for clarity, I never sent the unit back in to have it checked.

I only tried it to see if it would improve anything. It improved my forearm size and pulse rate.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:45 AM
reincarnate

I'll look into them as well. Thanks guys!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume you have tried new spark plug and ign battery and taken out any kill switch (if fitted)
Failing that, I would just buy a brand new carb, someone at your club may have a spare you could borrow to see if that fixes it
You didn't actually say what it's doing, other than "can't get it right"
But sounds like your happy to get someone else to fix it so maybe just do that.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:51 PM
reincarnate

I just decided to stick to the basic description of what I'd tried. Every single variable has been explored, all more than once. Been doing this a few years. Maybe I should see if it has gas too, huh?

Aside from someone inevitably posting random elementary possibilities to boost their post total, which I was hoping to avoid, Bill Jensen already responded to my query. Thanks RCVFR!

Big +1 to Bill at http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html

Last edited by reincarnate; 01-24-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reincarnate
I just decided to stick to the basic description of what I'd tried. Every single variable has been explored, all more than once. Been doing this a few years. Maybe I should see if it has gas too, huh?

Aside from someone inevitably posting random elementary possibilities to boost their post total, which I was hoping to avoid, Bill Jensen already responded to my query. Thanks RCVFR!

Big +1 to Bill at http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html

HaHaha looks like someone got out of the wrong side of the bed today. Boosting post count isn't something I consider, sorry for trying to help someone that came across as a newbie, these engines really are very simple, if you can't fix it yourself, then yes you should send it to someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:55 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cylinder

For some reason, I have this almost NIB....anyone need one???

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji BT 64.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	783.3 KB
ID:	2143277  
Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I always wondered why tower was carrying these and no other gas engines. They were heavy and looked like copies of Zenoah's. Zenoahs are great engines, why not sell them?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kmeyers
I always wondered why tower was carrying these and no other gas engines. They were heavy and looked like copies of Zenoah's. Zenoahs are great engines, why not sell them?
Great Planes sold Mac Minerelli engines for awhile until they went away. The Fuji engines were from a large, established company so they probably seemed like a good product line .... until Fuji decided to get out of the RC engine game. Great Planes couldn't sell Zenoah because Horizon had that product line locked up. These days, Great Planes seems to be doing pretty well with the DLE line and OS keeps expanding their gasser line.

It should be pointed out that even Horizon has had their issues keeping a decent gas engine line other than Zenoah. They have their own Evolution line these days and they seem to be doing pretty well with this in house line. Prior to that they had the rebranded MVVS engines under the Evolution name and I'm not sure that was a happy marriage .... all gone today.

The point here is that large distributors have all had their issues keeping a quality gas engine line and for issues not always of their own making. Overall, gas engines seem to lend themselves to the smaller distributors or manufacture direct sales.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM
reincarnate

Not that it matters, but my biggest issue is that these these engines, produced and marketed as hobby powerplants, are just so extraordinarily overpriced. I have a top of the line Stihl 50cc (MS261 C-M) chainsaw with a built in microprocessor that monitors and automatically compensates for changes in conditions including elevation, temperature, fuel quality, varying octane levels and dirty air filters, that only costs $40 more (check local listings...) than a DA50 that doesn't even include a muffler/exhaust!! It has never failed to start on the third pull from cold, and I've never had to do more than routine cleaning and plug maintenance.

Granted, you can buy a less expensive engine than the DA's anyday, but you can also buy a less expensive, yet equally reliable and complete 50cc Stihl (to keep the comparison intact) for $399... still $20 less than everyone's favorite DA substitute, DLE.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm not even so bold as to think anyone is reading this, much less cares. I own both DA, DLE, as well an (unfortunately) large assortment of other of my self described "toy" gas and glow engines. I just know that there exists, for anyone to purchase, a 100% complete, professional, reliable piece of equipment with one of the most advanced small bore engines there is, for an equal cost of an equivalent toy engine requiring an additional $100+, before it's any more than a paperweight. There's a massive value inequity there, and I don't see it.

Let the trolling begin...

Last edited by reincarnate; 01-27-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Careful,
I once wrote a post knocking towers fuji and the post was removed and I warned of banning!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM
reincarnate

Not that I'm concerned much with site censorship, but I'm not knocking anyone here. Like I said, I've parted with literally thousands of dollars over the last two decades or so on engines, all of which remain in use (aside from the offending Fuji...). Some are better than others, but there are good and bad in every lot.

My rub has always been that I absolutely hate telling intelligent, technically informed, non-RC acquaintances the cost of our engines. It never fails to amaze anyone, and usually brings about questions on sanity. Sometimes I'm the one asking, too.

Yet I continue to spend...so I guess maybe I answered my own question. The market will support what the consumer will bear.

Still remain curious as to why though.

Last edited by reincarnate; 01-27-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

reincarnate, I agree 100% with you regarding the cost of our RC engines but I believe there are explanations. First, most RC engine companies are relatively small operations. Especially compared to the multi national companies that produce chain saws and the like. Even a company such as DA is tiny by comparison to Stihl, etc. With regards to price, few small operations can compete with the giants and I don't have to explain the reasons why as most readers already know the reasons. Most anything of similar quality will be more expensive to produce by a small company.

Over the years, several large corporations got into the RC engine market but as far as I know, only Zenoah has remained in the market long term.

For those so inclined, there is always the conversion alternative. Lots of good engines out there that can be made into excellent RC engines.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:50 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

reincarnate, the chain saw engine you spoke about....is it hard to modify to be used on an aircraft?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:40 AM
reincarnate

To be honest, I've never considered it. My saws are tools that are used outside of my hobby considerations. That being said, the local shop has many saws in the boneyard that have working engines on them. Bent handles from being run over, cracked cases from having a tree dropped on them...if they can be converted, I know they're available.

There is a lot of plastic to remove to get to the internals on them, and it takes some time to strip one down. I only strip them down if something breaks, and it honestly I've never had one break.

Sounds like a fair investigation though. I have some time this weekend available, and I may take a look.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

These are Stihl Clamshell engine designs that are available < $100 new as short blocks. They are made in China but run excellent.

65cc

46cc

32cc

27cc

Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Here are some 46cc on ebay for $33.00 shipped, Where are the 65cc located.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390805002207...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Milton
Old 01-28-2016, 01:03 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 65cc are Stihl MS390 replacement engines on Ebay

look for 49mm bore?

Some listings are 46mm bore = 59cc

Last edited by w8ye; 01-28-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by reincarnate
Not that I'm concerned much with site censorship, but I'm not knocking anyone here. Like I said, I've parted with literally thousands of dollars over the last two decades or so on engines, all of which remain in use (aside from the offending Fuji...). Some are better than others, but there are good and bad in every lot.

My rub has always been that I absolutely hate telling intelligent, technically informed, non-RC acquaintances the cost of our engines. It never fails to amaze anyone, and usually brings about questions on sanity. Sometimes I'm the one asking, too.

Yet I continue to spend...so I guess maybe I answered my own question. The market will support what the consumer will bear.

Still remain curious as to why though.
I hope you dont tell the misses the true cost ! I sure dont , although its more my guilty concence rather than her what her reaction would be . She never has once complained about the cost but just says why do you need another one . Good question for which I have no good answer . Cheers the pope
Old 02-05-2016, 11:25 PM
bcchi

[QUOTE=kmeyers;12168344]Careful,
I once wrote a post knocking towers fuji and the post was removed and I warned of banning![/QUOTE
I no what you mean.I tried to help them out with there Ignition RFI problems,but all posts were deleted.I have a Fuji 86 with my Ignition has run great for years.
BCCHI Grumpy old CH guy AMA 2500 ,Have my new DOT FAA license,What a joke.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:37 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by w8ye
The 65cc are Stihl MS390 replacement engines on Ebay

look for 49mm bore?

Some listings are 46mm bore = 59cc
Thanks, good to know. Captain John on vacation in Florida !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.