Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Big stik prop suggestion? DLE 35

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Bobbyblank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big stik prop suggestion? DLE 35

I am in the process of rebuilding my father's old big stik, 80" wing span low wing. It hasn't flown in over 20 years. I just ordered a sparkly new DLE 30ra for it and was curious about prop selection. DLE (as well as other folks running same motor) suggest 19x8 and other 19 inch props but no stores around carry 19's. Just 20s and 18s. It was running an old homelite conversion motor, 25cc I think and was swinging an 18x10 Beechwood.

I plan on breaking motor in while flying and using the prop I plan on flying, but selecting props has NEVER been my strong suit.

I do not intend for the stik to be and speedster and would like an easy flyer with ability for some good knife edges and acrobatic ability once I have it broke in. So what would be a good prop to start with? Can I get away with using a higher pitch 18" or should I just mail away for recomended 19" prop?
Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I would use something like a 20-6 or 20-8 on that plane. The performance on the large, draggy airframe will benefit by using a larger diameter prop. Caution though, ground clearance may be a problem so check that before making a final decision. I wouldn't go under 19" diameter though. Going over 8" pitch may cause difficulty slowing down for landings.

You're probably losing a lot of nose weight going from the older conversion engine to the newer, lighter DLE. Be prepared to add weight or move equipment forward if necessary. Most sticks tolerate a fairly aft CG though and that can be factored into the final CG location.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Bobbyblank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for your reply. I was thinking about 20x6 and almost picked up one at the LHS. But i think 20 will be quite tight fit, figured i would have to wait till motor is mounted to get good measurment. was thinking i could get away with a higher pitch 18" and have similar preformance to larger low pitch prop.

Yea as far as the nose weight goes, i already planned on loosing alot of weight up front. Decided to go with seperate batteries for ignition and Rx for added weight, 2100mah Life batt. And adding a hatch in the nose to mount ingnition and batts up front instead of above the wing. Difference between old conversion motor and DLE is 2.5lbs. I am hoping she will balance out decent
Old 02-24-2016, 12:27 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a 19x10 on my dle35 ra. It's a good combo putting out decent power on a non tuned canister.

Break in with an 18x10 is fine. Then bump the load up or go directly to the load you will fly. Good luck