Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Reed Valves and Relative Performance

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Reed Valves and Relative Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:31 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reed Valves and Relative Performance

Generally speaking are engines designed with reed valves higher performance, more highly tuned?
Old 03-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think that question can be answered with a simple answer as there are many variables. For a simple answer, I would say a reed valve compared to a piston ported engine is more efficient at low and mid range RPM settings. A reed valve engine seems to produce a stronger low and mid range torque curve where many piston ported engines excel at higher RPM where they really breath well. As a result, over the years I've noted that for otherwise similar engines, the reed valve engine seems happier with a slightly larger diameter, lower pitch prop where the piston ported engine seems to favor a smaller diameter, higher pitch prop. Again, these are just general observations. Not sure I helped much but for general flying, I much prefer the manners of reed valve engines. That's not to knock a piston ported engine in any way ..... they are just different from each other.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:49 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The reed valve engines are usually the newer designs, and as a class, probably represent the latest technology. My favorites for sure. Piston ported vary more. State of tune all over the ballpark. Might be a friendly converted industrial engine, or a refined thoroughbred.

IMHO, the design to avoid would be the front intake rotary valve.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:02 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The problem with piston port engines is part of the charge goes out the carb when the piston come down. Reed valve engines avoid that but a reed mechanism in the way of the air to enter.
I prefer the front intake rotary valve engine because it has less parts to fail and puts the adjustments in the front where you can get after them.
Its interesting to study the evolution glow engines went thru. They started with piston port(O&R), then tried reed valve(Cox), rear rotary valve (HP) and finally all wound up as front rotary valve engines.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Truckracer

Each induction type has its place and all are still incorporated in various engine designs. Each method has it's list of good and bad points. Well executed, each one can be very reliable and maintenance free though each one has at least one failure mode.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to disagree with you this time Truckracer. Usually we are pretty much in agreement on engine technical details but I beg to differ with you on this one. Two stroke engines generally have TWO failure modes. One is "BANG!!" and the other is "SCREEEECH!!". Both modes are followed by sudden silence, and an intense pain in the wallet area.

A few years ago, I had one of the "SCREEEECH" failures with a two stroke. This one caused the additional symptom of me sweating, as I was flying IN the machine when the engine failed. That was interesting.... It also proved to me that the prop turning does indeed tend to keep the pilot cool.

AV8TOR
Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Truckracer

Dang av8tor, ya got me on that one!
Old 03-25-2016, 11:33 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-25-2016, 06:39 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Real interesting Guys. Have a good Easter weekend. John
Old 04-01-2016, 04:42 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

I appreciate the input gentlemen. Thanks, Cliff.