Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G62 battery size

Old 04-05-2016, 05:15 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G62 battery size

Hi all

Would a 2500 mah A123 battery with IBEC be OK with a zenoah G62 with electronic ignition in a TF Giant Corsair? would be driving 7 servos total and electric retracts.

Not sure if I should go larger or just add another battery

Weight is not an issue

Thanks

Larry
Old 04-05-2016, 06:06 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I would add another battery and a battery sharing device such as a Smart fly Batt share. I think the load on a single 2500 pack powering Ignition , servos and retracts would be borderline . 2 packs with a sharing device worked well for me in several warbirds . Be sure to check the capacity remaining in the A123 packs after a 10 minute flight so you can judge how much power the system has used per flight. Use that to calculate how many flight you can get before recharging . BTW with A123 packs I never use more than 50% of the capacity before recharging . This gives a good safety margin.
I would also verify the IBEC output voltage to the ignition and be sure that the Ignition can accept it . Some IBECs regulate the output and some don't. Some older C&H ignitions don't like 6.6v either.

Last edited by CK1; 04-05-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would think 2500 is more than enough, but, that is not the concern.

I would isolate the retracts most of all. One landing and all appears good but a small problem occurs. Next flight,Bam, plane crash, loss of power due to retracts constant draw until drained. I like electric retracts, they just need to be done right.

As far as the IBEC what are it's specs and what ignition is it powering?

Radio and servos, are you HV or is the battery going to be regulated?

You have given very little info, specifics are needed?

Last edited by kmeyers; 04-05-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a better way that requires no thinking or guessing. Peak charge your battery. Fly for ten minutes. Write down the ma charged. Do this six times. Add the six numbers. That’s the number of ma you have consumed in one hour, or the number of mah. Double or triple that value for a safety factor. That’s the minimum size battery you should use if you are going to fly for one hour. Increase the battery size if you plan on flying more each day. Dan.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar setup but air retracts and magneto on the G62. I would go with 2 batteries for safety sake. Also what's the IBEC voltage set at? I keep mine at 5V

All Day Dan is spot on to estimate need.

Pete
Old 04-11-2016, 06:30 PM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the info-

I think I will avoid the IBEC and use one battery for receiver/servos and one battery for ignition. I am looking into isolation of the retracts if that is feasible (not sure how yet as they pull off of the receiver) but will check it out

Thanks again-
Larry
Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I would use the IBEC and use a separate battery for the retracts. Easy to do and a safer setup. I have one plane that I don't even use an IBEC on; just receiver and ignition on one battery. Many, many flights, no problems. (2.4 gig)

AV8TOR