Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

gas flight box

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas flight box

as I am getting into gas, I thought I would have a flight box for Gas. fount a Great Planes kit at a second hand store and built it.

I am ready to finish it, but don't know the best way to fuel proof it. I would like a wood look, if possible.

all I know is it has to be able to handle gas.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new flignt box.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2158345  
Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 AM
extra300crazy

My first and only flight box has been a Goldberg Super Tote that I put together almost 40 years ago. I fly glow and finished mine with a walnut toned oil stain rubbed into the plywood. Still looks like a piece of furniture after all this time. I've also stripped wood props by sanding them, and finished them in a similar way. Using an oil stain enables a simple touch up later if needed.
Hope this helps.
Karl
Old 04-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Any of the oil based Polyurethane finishes such as Minwax, Varthane or Deftthane just to mention a few are very durable over time. Use a compatible stain to get the look you are wanting or just apply directly to the ply for a natural look.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Stick 40

I also have a OLD flight box, I got it at the weak sig. swap meet over 30 years ago (it was old then ) for $3.
my inst. did not like it as people though I was the old hand, he had a new flight box.

I will go with the stain and sealer, that sounds good.

thanks

sticks
Old 04-21-2016, 01:13 PM
extra300crazy

My old flight box always seems like an old friend, and wouldn't part with it for anything as it has served me well. Having an old trusty looking flight box seems like a badge or right of passage!
Karl
BTW Stick 40, where do you fly in Michigan? I fly with the Radio Control Club of Detroit in Lennox TWP.

Last edited by extra300crazy; 04-21-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Stick 40

I agree , I like my 35 plus year old box. I want to get my $3 worth out of it . Lol It has stickers on it , we can't get anymore. I wonder if the stickers are what's holding it together.

The size is nice , does not get to heavy. The new one is a bit bigger, will have to watch that. I carry a extra metal box with some emergency stuff.

I am flying with the Angola Indiana club "S.M.A.K." nice bunch of guys.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you planning on spilling gas all over it Yes 2 to 3 coats of oil base poly will do it. I keep my gas on a T shaped carrier I made from scrap plywood and painted with Rustoleum industrial spray paint. It also also carries my smoke oil and I power the fuel pump with a 12v lipo. Nice and light and easy to handle.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:50 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Have one of those that's pretty old as well, but one of the reasons I fly gas is so I don't need it! I carry a gallon of gas, a LiPo powered starter if I'm flying a 10cc that day, and a screwdriver to adjust the carb. Maybe a tach. That's it! All I'm using any more is a mostly empty drawer from that flight box.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Stick 40

if I am going to finish it off , I might as well fuel proof it as well. Its a little like doing something right.

The amount of stuff we need is a issue, when I go to the field I like to have every thing I may need. Trips home to get "something" is a waist of time, I don't generally have to as I carry what I need.

Plus I am still flying glow and want to combine everything into one box if I can, that is why I was glad to get the bigger one.

your small list of items you take, helps. I should be able to get everything into this new bigger box.

thanks for the help.

sticks
Old 04-23-2016, 12:27 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would use Dupli-Color engine enamel. The one with ceramic in it. Dries fast and is definitely fuel proof after a couple of days. You could also use their primer/surfacer to fill the grain of the wood. Do several coats, sanding between each one, then shoot it with the enamel. Clear coat is available too, but not necessary. The enamel will buff to a really nice gloss without it. If you shoot a careful wet coat, you won't even need to buff. I recently used these products to do a custom paint job on my brother's motorcycle gas tank, side covers, etc., and was really pleased with them.

AV8TOR
Old 04-23-2016, 12:29 PM
av8tor1977

BTW, I tend to take a lot of tools and supplies to the field as well, even for gas planes. The problem isn't just "going back home" to get something, it is loading everything back up so it doesn't get stolen while I'm gone!! (I don't belong to a club and fly at public fields.)

AV8TOR
Old 04-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
BTW, I tend to take a lot of tools and supplies to the field as well, even for gas planes. The problem isn't just "going back home" to get something, it is loading everything back up so it doesn't get stolen while I'm gone!! (I don't belong to a club and fly at public fields.)

AV8TOR
yes on both, its no fun to load up and go back and get a "bolt" if no one is there to trust. its take everything with you.

But even if there is someone to watch the stuff, its no fun to go home and get the "bolt". I have things to do, and going to the field to fly is a limited time.

thanks for the reply.

sticks
Old 04-28-2016, 10:01 AM
av8tor1977

Plus I'm lazy sometimes. (Having really bad chronic back pain doesn't help....) So if I am missing that magic "bolt" to fly, instead of loading everything back up to go get it, I'm liable to just sit and drink beer and watch everyone else fly instead.

AV8TOR
Old 04-28-2016, 07:29 PM
Stick 40

Plus I'm lazy sometimes. (Having really bad chronic back pain doesn't help....) So if I am missing that magic "bolt" to fly, instead of loading everything back up to go get it, I'm liable to just sit and drink beer and watch everyone else fly instead.

AV8TOR
if we go to the flying field and have a good time, that's IT. we have a good time!

does not matter how we do it. I do like to fly when I get there if possible.

I will finish off the flight box and it will be fine.

thanks

sticks
Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 PM
av8tor1977

Wow. Didn't mean to offend...

AV8TOR
Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 AM
Stick 40

Wow. Didn't mean to offend...

AV8TOR
no, you did no offend at all. I was just fully stating how I feel about going home for a bolt or not flying at all.

you would have to do a lot better than that to bother me.

at present I drive about 25 miles one way to fly, I don't mind it as they are a good bunch of guys and a nice field.

from years of experience, I know its easy to take some thing or state something that can be taken two ways. I guess I stated it a little pointed, and did not mean to.
I just enjoy flying and hate to go to the field without a "wing" !! Lol I have done that.

I decided I can't have two flight box's, glow and gas. There are to many things that carry over and no need to buy two of each shared thing.

sticks