Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc unable to idle low enough

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 01:49 PM
FL@T_SPIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so day two. I changed the ignition with another known working one replaced the battery with a 5.0v nicad and removed the ibec from the system all together, no opti-kil either. Same results unfortunately. I was able to get the engine to drop down to 2200 rpm for a few seconds but immediately died.
I removed the engine one more time and started breaking it down
I did spray carb cleaner in the low end needle port before and once again – clean spray came out of the throttle throat jets as is should just fine.
When re-examining the carb I found something and need some help with identifying. I am not well versed in the description of the parts so apologies. The brass jet coming out of the throttle throat on the choke side/pump side has a black piece of material coming out of it that looks like part of the gasket.
Is that needed and something broke off causing my issue or junk that could be part of the issue here
I did not see this on any of the 3 other times I have looked at the carburetor. The corresponding end in the pump compartment is way too small to allow anything to come out so it did not come from there.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1406.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	696.0 KB
ID:	2160393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1410.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	592.8 KB
ID:	2160394  
Old 05-01-2016, 02:12 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is your high speed check valve in your carb, and it has come apart. If you used compressed air when you cleaned the carb, that might have caused it. Those valves are replaceable if you can source the correct one. The bad valve can certainly cause problems, though it theoretically should not affect the low speed function of the carb. There is a conceivable situation whereby the engine actually has been running at high speed using only fuel from the low speed jets. However, the low end would then be very rich, and would likely die rich. I don't think that is the case here as you don't mention low speed flooding and have stated you need to choke to get re-starts.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 05-01-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup, what av8tor said! With the disc dislodged, the HS jet can dribble fuel in an uncontrolled manner causing all sorts of problems.

I'd just replace the carb if it were mine rather than chasing parts, removing and replacing welch plugs, etc. Most people cause more problems than good when they get into the HS check valve.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

I read most of the posts here, not sure if you checked the fuel pump diaphragm lever setting. My 20 came with the Chinese Webra clone carb, I had bad low end run and could not get an idle speed of less than 1850, the lever was the problem, I visited my local small engine shop and had them order the Webra diaphragm gauge to set it properly, problem solved. I still can't idle lower than about 1780 but, I think a larger prop might fix that. Good luck and have fun.

Skinny Bob
Old 05-01-2016, 03:40 PM
FL@T_SPIN

I just bought a used carb off of a friend, will have to do the reed mod to get a good seal. I will see maybe tuesday if that works for me, fingers crossed!