Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

no. chanels needed for gas

Old 04-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Stick 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no. chanels needed for gas

my old trusty 9 channels TX is getting old and I am thinking of a new one.

just wondered how many channels are / or could be used for gas. I have 7 set up right now on a P51 as one is used for chock.

I am getting into war birds with retracts and flaps, plus I added the chock servo. I don't see anything I would need over 7 channels.

I am thinking of a 8 channel TX, just wondered before buying, is that going to be enough? I am not going to 1/4 scale or larger, just up to 120 size.

Not looking for a recordation on brand as I know what I will buy.

sticks

Last edited by Stick 40; 04-27-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I use a 9 channel radio (Hitec Aurora) w/5 & 7 channel receivers. Most common channels on gas:

1- ignition on/off
1- throttle
2- aileron
2- elevator (not all, but frequently)
1- rudder

If I ever decide to build something with retracts or something else requiring more channels, I'll just need to buy a receiver. Transmitter will remain more than adequate.

I think feature availability, like a throttle curve for instance, is easily as important as the number of channels on radios anymore. Ease of programming would also be way high on my list as well. Reason being, for years I needed to get into a manual to do nearly anything. The radio I have now is capable of nearly anything (including helis) - but rarely do I ever need the manual, even for fairly sophisticated mixing or programming functions. My thoughts anyway, FWIW, -Al

Last edited by ahicks; 04-27-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Pelle Gris

Personally I would not buy a radio with less than 12 channels. That´s what my previous radio had, and I use 10 channels on my BUSA Super Cub, and 11 when I used it for aerotowing. I could have managed with a 9 ch radio, but that would mean that I would not have nav- and landing lights available. Not essential functions but fun to play with.

I just bought a Jeti DC-16, and with the latest firmware update it now sports 24 proportional channels. Way more than I need at the moment, but who knows what the future brings.
Also, having plenty of channels opens up possibilities that you might not have thought of previously.

Just an example warbird setup.
1ch Throttle
1ch Choke
2ch Ailerons
2ch Flaps
1ch Main retracts

Add to this the possibility of running the tail retract and steering on separate channels, which may be way easier to set up, than having to connect things mechanically.
2ch

My current radio allows a timed sequence to be constructed, so gear doors could be sequenced to open/close as needed. This is possible by using 1 or 2 ekstra channels.
2ch

Maybe you would like to add lights, or perhaps a sliding canopy?
What about a gyro? Setting gain and turning on/off needs spare channels.

So my thinking is that a less "capable" radio limits you needlessly.

Of course is just my thoughts and they may not apply to your needs or desires. Hope you find the right radio.

Last edited by Pelle Gris; 04-27-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:21 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a DX9 and fly a 35% and all channels are consumed. Yes I could add a matchbox or add programmable servos to open up a channel or two but it's so much easier one on one. I think once you reach a certain size or style plane a larger radio is the way to go.
I say get the largest radio you can afford.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Stick 40

I was think about it after posting and thought of a extra channel for two Ail. servos.

That makes 8 channels used, with the two Ail. servos.

I have some more thinking to do, I fully believe in getting a level about what I need. I am always happier with things if I got one step higher than needed.

But money is a issue and I have to put this into what I can do. I am thinking 9 channels is about what I can do.

Thanks for the input, I was looking at 8 channels, but think I will step up to 9 and try and live with it.

I don't plane to go to big in planes, I do have a 1/4 J3 Cub , but don't think that will out do a 9 channel
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Stick 40
I have 7 set up right now on a P51 as one is used for chock.
How does that work?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by radfordc
How does that work?
your talking about the choke? I see I did a misspelling , I am not the brightest bulb in the pack, if that is what you are getting at! Lol

I your really asking about the servo for the choke, I will put a pic. on to show.

sticks
Old 04-27-2016, 06:57 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Choke I know.

Chocks are for wheels.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Stick 40

Choke I know.

Chocks are for wheels.
thanks for pointing that out. someone have misunderstood !!

sticks
Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 AM
Pelle Gris

If money is an issue, and when is it not, you could buy a second hand radio. That way you would get a more capable radio, with more channels, for the same money as a new less sophisticated radio.

The DC-16 I bought was used, and the money I saved more than paid for the upgrades I wanted for the radio anyway. 3 Safety switches, 2 stick switches and a tray.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:57 AM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by Pelle Gris
If money is an issue, and when is it not, you could buy a second hand radio. That way you would get a more capable radio, with more channels, for the same money as a new less sophisticated radio.

The DC-16 I bought was used, and the money I saved more than paid for the upgrades I wanted for the radio anyway. 3 Safety switches, 2 stick switches and a tray.
I have been buying second hand planes for some time and have gotten really great deals, that is how I got into gas. it helps me fly bigger better planes for less money.

I do have a issue with a used TX, I am sure there are good buys on them but I don't /won't want to take a chance on loosing a plane due to a TX failure. I am getting by for now and can save up for the better one.

Thanks for the idea, I will keep my eyes open, if the right TX comes along I will think about it.

sticks
Old 04-28-2016, 06:00 AM
Stick 40

Choke I know.

Chocks are for wheels.
That bring up a idea for a new channel, how about breaks , on the larger planes its been know to have breaks and they would need a channel won't they???

That's what I meant by "chocks"
Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

While I would fly about anything else used, transmitters are where I draw the line as well.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by ahicks
While I would fly about anything else used, transmitters are where I draw the line as well.
thanks

I don't want to come across poorly, but I agree with you. it would have to be from someone I know and trust.

I can find problems on planes, replace servos, etc. But a TX is hard to trouble shoot without sending it in and then what do we save?

sticks
Old 04-28-2016, 09:18 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You never know with used anything but most people treat their transmitters well. Unless your like my flying buddy who threw his transmitter across the field after crashing his new mustang. He insists on using old engines which he knows don't run well and then gets mad when he has to deadstick all the time. He is still using that transmitter by the way. I have a ao channel and fly fully loaded warbirds on 7 -8 channels
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in a solid vote for the Hitec Aurora 9. I love mine. It is not that much more than a 7 or 8 channel radio, and allows for future expansion as well as having a host of features you might well find you like.

You could conceivably fly some gassers with a four channel radio, but, Yuck!

And yeah, I would only buy NEW radio equipment.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 04-28-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Stick 40

I really don't want this thread to be about which TX is good ( yours / mine ) . its just about how many channels we need. I think we have a wide range of very good TX's and are fortunate to have them.

I am new to gas and have one using 7 channels at present, and just was looking forward as I do need a new TX.

I am up to 9 channels, and the 12 channel TX suggestion is getting stronger. may have to save up my nickels and dimes .

sticks
Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Four needed to fly. More is better, as is the case usually with most things.....

AV8TOR
Old 04-29-2016, 06:44 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I also have an Aurora 9 and as AHICKS stated in his first post, it is very satisfactory all most applications with my gas powered planes, a 20cc Ultra Stick, 35cc Escapade MX and a 33cc Inverza. Really have no need for more channels. Easy radio to use w/o a manual after you hit the learning curve!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Stick 40

I do a lot of "bind & fly" and that moves me in another direction, which is ok with me. I started with the JR X9303 2.4 and was very happy with it and its a 9 channel. It also got me into "bind & fly", but with JR and Spectrum separating so to speak. I need to switch.
But the JR TX getting older and it does not get along with the newest and greatest "bind & fly". I thought of sending it in, but decided to put the money into a newer TX. I can sell the JR to someone at a swap meet, its still a good TX.

I am leaning toward the 9 channel TX as it was pointed out there are ways of getting around any extra's needed.

I will decide when , I need to do it.

sticks
Old 04-29-2016, 06:48 PM
MTK

Stick, it seems you want the most for the least. JR and Futaba in 10 or more channels will set you pocket book on fire. Have you considered Airtronics? The 10 channel Tx/Rx set was around 320$ last year on special. I bought one for my grandson. Lots of functionality.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I replaced my 9ch for a 10CH ( not because I needed 10chl although it is nice to have the extra chl ) but because I switched to 2.4, I started to fly gas recently and 10chls is more than enough for it.
You can make it work with 9chls easily.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I know you don't want used, but a good used Futaba 8FG would give you 14 usable channels and you can buy those radios dirt cheap these days. I have one that I use to use for helis that probably doesn't have 8 hours of use and has always been stored in a case. Many more like it if you look around.

There was a time when a higher channel count meant big bucks, but not really the case these days. I couldn't imagine buying a radio with less channels than I might need one day then having to use band aid fixes to get around the lack of channels. If you are interested in scale, especially warbirds, buy a radio with enough channels and in todays market, that would be at least 12 channels in my opinion. 14 or 18 would be a better choice. Why even consider short changing yourself down the road?

For one example: a new Futaba 14FG can be bought for well under $500 using Tower coupons. This is an extremely high quality, capable radio! Similar radios available in other brands if you're not a Futaba guy.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by MTK
Stick, it seems you want the most for the least. JR and Futaba in 10 or more channels will set you pocket book on fire. Have you considered Airtronics? The 10 channel Tx/Rx set was around 320$ last year on special. I bought one for my grandson. Lots of functionality.
I do want the most for the least, who does not? I might even try and get the TX on sale!

I already know what brand I am buying, if I had to replace all my RX's it would cost about the price of another TX. when we buy into a radio system , it kind of locks us in. I am happy with the brand I will go with.

its just the number of channels. that is all I was going for with this thread.

I guess 9 channels will be enough, for what I fly. This thread helped , I was thinking 7 or 8 channels but I will spend the extra money and get the 9 channel.
thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:39 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have been using a $200 Taranis for three years with no problems with the TX or RX. I have the logs to prove it.
With Taranis you can start with an 8 channel receiver. If you need more channels add another RX for 16 channels. If you need more just get $100 module and RX($32) and add another 8 channels.
Oh yes you could get the appropriate module and use your Futaba,Spectrum,or Hitec receivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.