Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zdz90 rv-j ignition timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 07:14 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Zdz90 rv-j ignition timing

Hello, I bought a brand new in the box zdz90rvj from a member. I don't know if he did it or zdz, but the ignition pickup is not mounted on the engine. The ignition unit is a zdz unit, and unlike the rcxcel ignitions, (which have a servo type plug) the pickup is actually hardwired into the ignition box. My question is what is the timing supposed to be, normally timing on rc engines is 28-30 degrees, however on this engine there is a scribe mark that when lined up with the pickup mount edge is at exactly, verified that with my degree wheel. There is not enough adjustment in the pickup mount to get 28degrees BTDC, only about 16 degrees at the end of the pickup mount slots. I have timed many a dle and da reed engines and know what I am doing, so that means either the mounting holes are off, or ignition timing on the ZDZ90 rvj is not supposed to be 28 degrees?? The manual with the engine gives no timing info. Any experienced help will be appreciated, thanks fellas.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
Hello, I bought a brand new in the box zdz90rvj from a member. I don't know if he did it or zdz, but the ignition pickup is not mounted on the engine. The ignition unit is a zdz unit, and unlike the rcxcel ignitions, (which have a servo type plug) the pickup is actually hardwired into the ignition box. My question is what is the timing supposed to be, normally timing on rc engines is 28-30 degrees, however on this engine there is a scribe mark that when lined up with the pickup mount edge is at exactly, verified that with my degree wheel. There is not enough adjustment in the pickup mount to get 28degrees BTDC, only about 16 degrees at the end of the pickup mount slots. I have timed many a dle and da reed engines and know what I am doing, so that means either the mounting holes are off, or ignition timing on the ZDZ90 rvj is not supposed to be 28 degrees?? The manual with the engine gives no timing info. Any experienced help will be appreciated, thanks fellas.
ZDZ ignitions are auto adjust and are not timed at the total advance but rather by a spacing measurement on the hub to the sensor pickup. I'm not sure what that particular engine is set at, most are in the 6.5mm range with the piston at TDC. Suggest you contact ZDZ USA and see what Joe has to say.

This link may provide some useful information;

http://www.falkon.cz/

Last edited by Zeeb; 07-10-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:03 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
ZDZ ignitions are auto adjust and are not timed at the total advance but rather by a spacing measurement on the hub to the sensor pickup. I'm not sure what that particular engine is set at, most are in the 6.5mm range with the piston at TDC. Suggest you contact ZDZ USA and see what Joe has to say.

This link may provide some useful information;

http://www.falkon.cz/
Zeeb, thank you for your help, I was able to find ZDZs info on placing the pickup on it states place the edge of the pickup on that line scribed on the case and tighten. Thank you for your help. Got her running today and tuned, its a beast,,