Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

3w-150 Has not ben run in a couple years

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3w-150 Has not ben run in a couple years

Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 AM
rcaviator-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3w-150 Has not ben run in a couple years

Hello,

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I have been unable to find the answer. I have a 3w-150 that has been sitting for a couple years, and now I am trying to get it going. The issue appears to be fuel draw. I can squirt a little fuel up through the carb and get it to fire with the choke on for a couple revolutions, but it does not run after that. I can make fuel flow from the tank with the line to the carb disconnected, but the carb never gets any.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:29 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The diaphragm is probably stuck to the carb, On the side of the carb with the thick aluminum cover loosen the four screws and tap on it, Then remove the cover, remove the diaphragm and rub some oil on the side that faces the carb and put it back together and see what happens.

Milton
Old 07-20-2016, 08:46 AM
rv8pilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its very likely that all the neoprene parts, the metering diaphragm and the pump/check valve "gasket", are stiffened up from the exposure to gas and time. I have found these parts to last about 2-3 years using pump gas with ethanol and somewhat longer on ethanol-free gas or avgas. The carb cannot respond to atmospheric pressure if the diaphragm is bad and it won't pump if the pump/check valve is bad. Look for the carb part number stamped on the body and order a rebuild kit from Walbro or a Walbro parts vendor. These carbs are very simple and not difficult to work on, the exception being a tiny spring under the metering lever on the diaphragm side of the carb. Don't remove the metering lever unless absolutely necessary. The very small low speed orifices just behind the throttle plate are likely stopped up as well. These are difficult to clean without removing a small aluminum Welsh plug under the diaphragm and they are easy to damage if care is not taken. I use an ultrasonic cleaner to open up these small passages and it can take awhile even with at that. You can check to see if these passages are open by blowing some carb cleaner into the low speed needle hole. Be careful not to blow it into your eyes or face. Depending on the carb there will be several of these small holes visible behind the throttle plate where it seats when closed.

Andy
Andy's Model Engine Repair
www.modelenginerepair.com