Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G-62 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default G-62 questions

Am installing my 4 year old G-62 in a large biplane this winter. It has been previously run on an electronic ignition but will be going with the magneto from this point forward. A few questions:

What size gap does the mag need? I see that it can be adjusted so is there a handy method to do this?

I want to run a 24x8 prop on it. Is this too large?

I plan to install one of the spring starters. Any suggestions as to source or make?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Mag gap is often adjusted to the thickness of a business or playing card. Not very scientific, but it works. On a weak mag, I once adjusted to the thickness of a couple of sheets of printer paper.

24-8 is too much prop for a G-62. Prop for 7000 + RPM to get the most out of the Zenoah.

The Zenoah or B&B starters are both available and work.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:04 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Mag gap is often adjusted to the thickness of a business or playing card. Not very scientific, but it works. On a weak mag, I once adjusted to the thickness of a couple of sheets of printer paper.
Speaking of this; is there a handy way to strengthen/re-magnetize the magnets of a magneto flywheel without buying an industrial magnetizing machine?

AV8TOR
Old 11-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Truckracer

Not that I know of for us common folks. Back in the day, there use to be services that re-magnetized aircraft, tractor and industrial engine mags but I haven't heard of that service in decades. Perhaps it still exists .... I just don't know about it. Not as many large engines use mags these days, most are diesel now and if gas, EI is more common.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:58 AM
Lifer

So, is it safe to say that the closer, the better when gapping the magneto?

Also, I have seen threads and videos showing the G-62 turning 26 inch and larger props and flying quite well. When I had the engine on a warbird, I propped to get a minimum of 7k on the ground and it would unload in the air and go really fast. Bigger props didn't unload but still pulled it around well, but not fast.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The mag has to be far enough from the flywheel so it doesn't hit.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by Lifer
So, is it safe to say that the closer, the better when gapping the magneto?

Also, I have seen threads and videos showing the G-62 turning 26 inch and larger props and flying quite well. When I had the engine on a warbird, I propped to get a minimum of 7k on the ground and it would unload in the air and go really fast. Bigger props didn't unload but still pulled it around well, but not fast.
I have never seen a G-62 that could pull a 26 inch prop at a useful RPM. Maybe a low pitch prop in a WW1 type plane or something but nothing in a normal pitch range.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Lifer

Here's a P-40 with a G-62 turning a 24x10 with a lot of enthusiasm. Don't have an rpm reading, but it is moving well:

Old 11-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Truckracer

I didn't say you couldn't run a 24” prop but I would suggest that if you do you’ll be leaving a good bit of performance on the table. Heck, a 24-10 was about as big as I could run on a GT-80!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never heard of the magnets needing re magnetized on magneto engines., I have had 30 year old zenoahs and the magnets are fine. The air gap between magneto and flywheel is the important part, as said, thickness of a business card. Make sure you put the prop across the two cutouts in the prop hub and it will hand start just fine, just make sure you start to prop it at the 3 o'clock position and accelerate through the 12 o'clock position. They do like to be wet. Prop should be something that will turn 7,000 rpm on the ground. G-62's are seriously under rated by gas engine flyers these days!
Larry
Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Truckracer

While not RC engines, I have seen flywheel magnets in other engines that were pretty much not magnets any more. Fixed those engines by replacing the flywheel.

Agree completely about the G-62 being under rated. They do require understanding though.