Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Need Help looking for Tillotson Carb Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Need Help looking for Tillotson Carb Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Help looking for Tillotson Carb Kit

I picked up an F7 Tigercat with two DLE 30's in her. The engines are the older version with side mounted Tillotson carbs number on them is HU134A
I know the engines were run once then the plane was stored. I do not know if Ethanol fuel was used. Whenever I buy a plane with gas engines and don't personally know the history I will get a carb kit and change out all the perishable parts and give it a good cleaning, reset the needles to factory specs and fly happy.
When I searched for the Repair Kit RK31HU and GOOGLE led me to "Jacks Small Engines" Their site listed the kit in stock at a good price so I ordered 3 on 8/8. The order confirmation said that the kits were not in and that the order would ship on 8/16. Today I called to see if the kits were being sent and was told that they won't have them to send out until 9/5 at the earliest. Not good since the site gives the buyer the impression that this was an in stock item. I had gotten no emails from Jack's that these were back ordered.

I did order today from Amazon an off brand kit from Sunbelt Outdoor products that is suppose to be compatible with the HU carb series.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When these kits arrive I will disassemble the carbs and compare the parts. If anyone has alternate sources please post.

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited by Rocketman612; 08-18-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try here but call first to make sure they have it in stock. Dan.
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...K31HU&go=GO%21
Old 08-18-2016, 09:42 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocketman612
I picked up an F7 Tigercat with two DLE 30's in her. The engines are the older version with side mounted Tillotson carbs number on them is HU134A
I know the engines were run once then the plane was stored. I do not know if Ethanol fuel was used. Whenever I buy a plane with gas engines and don't personally know the history I will get a carb kit and change out all the perishable parts and give it a good cleaning, reset the needles to factory specs and fly happy.
When I searched for the Repair Kit RK31HU and GOOGLE led me to "Jacks Small Engines" Their site listed the kit in stock at a good price so I ordered 3 on 8/8. The order confirmation said that the kits were not in and that the order would ship on 8/16. Today I called to see if the kits were being sent and was told that they won't have them to send out until 9/5 at the earliest. Not good since the site gives the buyer the impression that this was an in stock item. I had gotten no emails from Jack's that these were back ordered.

I did order today from Amazon an off brand kit from Sunbelt Outdoor products that is suppose to be compatible with the HU carb series.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When these kits arrive I will disassemble the carbs and compare the parts. If anyone has alternate sources please post.

Thanks,
Pete
I do not think you have a Tillotson carb on your DLE engine.They put that name on some of the Walbro clones must have heard that the Tillot was a good carb.I think a Walbro kit will work on your carb.
BCCHI
Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus 1 on the above. Just rebuilt mine last week with a K20-WAT kit.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Henry Pel
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also used Ebay for a Tillotson carb ( from a DLA112 ). Ultimately I replaced carb with a Walbro WJ-71
the Tillotson site shows the following gskt kit number and a repair kit
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]MODEL
[/TD]
[TD]DIAPHRAGM & GASKET SET
[/TD]
[TD]REPAIR KIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]HU-134A
[/TD]
[TD]DG-11HU
[/TD]
[TD]RK-31HU
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Use the following Tillotson site for further or other carb model numbers
http://tillotson.ie/kits-parts/carbu...oss-reference/
Old 08-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Rocketman612

It's a Tillotson. Yes they look like Walbro clones Thanks Lifer for the Walbro Kit to use. Henry, I had that info but thanks.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tillotson carb 008.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2177549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tillotson carb 010.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2177550  
Old 08-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Lifer

Glad to be of help! For the record, the DLE 20 uses a K10-WAT. I order them on EBay from China for about $3 apiece.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:56 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by Rocketman612
It's a Tillotson. Yes they look like Walbro clones Thanks Lifer for the Walbro Kit to use. Henry, I had that info but thanks.
Pete
They are a Walbro clone .
.If they were not you could not use a Walbro kit.I have a couple of Tillotson carbs.A Walbro kit certainly will not work in them. They are much different in appearance.
BCCHI
BCCHI
Old 08-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Rocketman612

Update!!

The kit that was ordered from Amazon was not compatible. The K20 kit is and I redid both carbs. Got the F7 to the field today for a first run of the engines at stock needle settings 1.5 turns on both H and L needles. The right engine ran great 7800 to 7900 rpms with an 18x8 Xoar idle at 1800 to 1900 rpms with great transition. The Left engine is a problem she started off good but then downhill. Difficult to start needing to choke to get running each time. Spark good it's a fuel flow issue. I richened the L needle out to 2 turns and it didn't help. Sluggish transition and she would abruptly die going from full throttle to idle not a drifting drop in rpms you see when your too lean on the low end. will take the carb apart tomorrow and check it again.

Pete
Old 10-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Rocketman612

Update

I did rebuild the carbs with the correct kit but the engine still would not run. Compression felt low so I ordered a new ring and gasket set (both back ordered for 2 months).

Compression better with the new ring and was able to start the engine after a good prime. Baseline the L needle out 1.5 turns and the H needle 1 3/4 turns. Getting 8k on top and richen to get 7900. Transition good with sharp drop in rpm's with it going to idle. Idle was ok at 2500 rpm's and attempts to close the trim resulted in inconsistent idle then it died. Difficult to start so I richened the L needle by 1/4. started a little better with good transition going to full throttle but it died going back to idle. Leaned the L needle by 1/8 then it would start then die like it was lean again.

It looks like the carb is not consistently drawing fuel. I'm about ready to pitch the Tillotson carbs and replace with genuine Walbro ones. What is the Walbro replacement for the HU134A Tillotson carb??

Pete
Old 10-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

More than likely if you order new carbs for a DLE30 or 35, these days you'll get a Walbro branded carb. A couple of common carbs for that size engine include the Walbro WT-645 and the WT-664A though there are many others. I'm sure you can get what you are looking for from outlets such as Valley Vierw RC, Mile High RC, etc.

I have several DLE branded Walbro clones that have worked perfectly on these engines. The Tillotson branded carbs were only used for a short time around 2010 or so then they changed to DLE branding and the carbs were improved from those labeled Tillotson. Most current DLE engines are supplied with Walbro carbs these days though all the above mentioned carbs are made in Chine if that matters. Some of the DLE and Walbro carbs look so similar in so many ways I swear they are made in the same factory.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Rocketman612

Thanks Truckracer. I've been looking at the WT-645. It has a 12.7mm venturi. I'm decent at setting up a carb but this has me beaten. the engines are in an F7 Tigercat and I need reliability and performance. If the swap does not fix the problem then it's new engines. Ouch

Pete
Old 10-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Truckracer

Most of those Tillotson carbs were supplied on the original side intake 30. Which engine version are you working with? My oldest 30 was one of the early rear carb versions and it had a DLE Walbro clone. Has always been flawless. Those early Tillotson carbs had problems from time to time. And yes, even though they are labeled Tillotson, they are Walbro clones.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Rocketman612

It's an early version side mount. And it is a genuine Tillotson carb see above photo's. Interesting that my 30 has no reed valve in it either one. I guess that was added to the rear carb models.

My brother has one on his H9 Taylorcraft and after putting a carb kit in it has been flawless.

Pete
Old 10-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Truckracer

The 30 has to have a reed valve or it wouldn't run at all. Sandwiched between the carb and the rear housing.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:31 PM
Rocketman612

Originally Posted by Truckracer
The 30 has to have a reed valve or it wouldn't run at all. Sandwiched between the carb and the rear housing.
That's what I thought but when I removed the carb and the phenolic spacer there was no reed cage like I have seen on other engines.
Pete
Old 10-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Rocketman612

Did some research and found a parts diagram with no"Key" to ID the parts but it looks like #11 is the reed inside the engine where you can't get to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DLE 30 Parts Diagram.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2187643  
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Truckracer

There ya go. I knew it was in there somewhere. I never owned one of the side intake engines so wasn't exactly sure where it was. The early versions were made when DLE was still going through teething problems with new designs and just becoming a viable company. QC was increasing quickly in those years but it wasn't quite there when the 30 first came out.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:13 AM
Lifer

The DLE 30 side-draft is piston ported. No reed cage needed.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:54 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
The DLE 30 side-draft is piston ported. No reed cage needed.
Sorry, but the old DLE 30 side carb engine IS NOT PISTON PORTED. It has reeds in the rear with a right angle manifold for the carburetor.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:59 AM
Lifer

Well, I stand corrected. I pulled up the manual and reviewed the diagram. Must have been thinking of another engine.

http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/do...parts-diag.pdf

Last edited by Lifer; 10-27-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Truckracer

As far as engines go, the side intake 30 had a very short and less than glorious production run. When they changed to the rear intake (which was a whole story into itself) they also incorporated a number of production improvements and a very nice little engine was created. I've been flying (2) of them since 2010 and they have been among my favorite engines
Old 11-01-2016, 07:37 PM
bcchi

Originally Posted by Truckracer
As far as engines go, the side intake 30 had a very short and less than glorious production run. When they changed to the rear intake (which was a whole story into itself) they also incorporated a number of production improvements and a very nice little engine was created. I've been flying (2) of them since 2010 and they have been among my favorite engines
Still flying one of the side carb 30s.Runs great.I like it because you do not have to use the long stand offs.Boy some people are slow learners.Or hard headed or something
BCCHI Tired old CH guy..
Old 11-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Rocketman612

Well problem solved . Purchased two Walbro Carb's from Valley View. Perfect fit. Both engines running!! With Xoar 18x8 prop have 7800rpm on top and between 1900 and 2200 rpm's for idle. Have about 30oz of fuel thru them. Great transition. will get another tank or two on them before I maiden the F7. Thanks for all input.

Pete