Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

surging engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:22 AM
wingbolt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surging engine

I have a new DLE 20 engine with approx. 3 hours run time that is still surging during flight
making things not great during landings. I continue to have issues with this little engine.
I do appreciate comments if they are from the "experienced" I had the idle and full
throttle nice but she has since become ragged again near full throttle. Will start tweaking it
again and may change the oil/gas mix less richer. What the hell do I know, but do know
bigger is better; engines and planes. Cant believe its August, hoping for nice Sept.
Thanks for any response.
Dick

hate repairing ? go full throttle a sec before impact.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:16 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Dick, I doubt seriously your oil content is going to affect how it runs - very doubtful it might cause surging.

Full throttle is very easily tuned. No different than a glow engine - unless you're trying to do it with the cowl on. If that's the case, take it off and leave it off until the engine is running right - on the ground and in the air. You can see what you're doing and you eliminate the potential for overheating. You can also see if it's sucking air....

Regarding the way the engine is running during your landings, leaner settings generally make for trouble. Rich engines are happy and reliable. If you're struggling with the way you're doing it now, maybe try something a hair richer - even if you feel it's not running as smoothly.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:54 AM
WRK

Could need a vent line from the carb. diaphragm static hole to the inside of the fuselage.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:10 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wingbolt
I do appreciate comments if they are from the "experienced" ...
Dick
Define "experienced". With your apparent lack of same you should appreciate any and all comments.

Sincerely,
Another Dick
Old 08-21-2016, 01:25 PM
wingbolt
My Feedback: (5)

Occasionally children get on this site. Flying 30 years, have built 33 % from plans. Left "gassers" 15 years ago for large glo engines and love em.
Fuel prices not an issue. Will give this engine one more chance then its goo bye.. At 84 I do not have the time to waste at this site or with junk.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:09 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

At 84, do whatever you want to do, whenever, and however much you want to! By the grace of God, hope I'm still able to fly at your age....

Regarding gas, if you haven't been around it much, there is a learning curve involved. The DLE 20 is a sweetheart once you get to know it - but it's not going to behave like a glow engine. You'll need some patience with it at first....

If it's a cowled install, pulling that off until you get good and used to running it will be a huge leg up.....
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wingbolt
I have a new DLE 20 engine with approx. 3 hours run time that is still surging during flight
making things not great during landings. I continue to have issues with this little engine.
I do appreciate comments if they are from the "experienced" I had the idle and full
throttle nice but she has since become ragged again near full throttle. Will start tweaking it
again and may change the oil/gas mix less richer. What the hell do I know, but do know
bigger is better; engines and planes. Cant believe its August, hoping for nice Sept.
Thanks for any response.
Dick

This is reply with quote:

I have been running the DLE 20 since it first came out. I have two of them and 6 other gas engines from 20 to 55cc's.

I don't know if bigger is better unless you really mean easier to see!

Your post contains only two facts. You own a DLE 20 and it has 3 hours of block time.

Facts are the key to helping.

What is your fuel raito? I run 32:1 full synthetic.

What prop are you using? I have only used two prop because of the data on this site: 17x6 and 16x8 Xoar.

What plane is it mounted in? I have flown my DLE's in GP Extra and H9 Funtana.

How is it mounted? Both engines mounted inverted and cowled.

You say the high end was nice (what RPM)? But now ragged (same RPM?) different how? Popping? I get just over 8k and my idle is ~ 1900.

About where are your needle settings: Low & High I don't know where my needles are exactly, but, I start at 1 1/2 and 1 1/2 and lean the low and richen the high.

I hope you find this site helpful. I have many times.

This year and last summer the Funtana has been my everyday plane so I am current on the DLE 20.

I own and operate a ST3250 glow in a 1/4 scale Cub. I want to convert it to gas (I have a 40 doing nothing) for longer flight times vs fuel weight.

Last edited by kmeyers; 08-22-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a problem with the DLE 20 with a #4 ignition module where the timing doesn't have a advance curve. At around 2000 rpm the module will suddenly flip from full advance to full retard or back to full advance?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by w8ye
There was a problem with the DLE 20 with a #4 ignition module where the timing doesn't have a advance curve. At around 2000 rpm the module will suddenly flip from full advance to full retard or back to full advance?
Even the new DLE 20 comes with an ignition module labeled #4 but it is different than the old #4. New ones are rated for higher voltages than the old problem ones and will say A-02 on the label.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:10 AM
kmeyers

wingbolt, waiting for some data.

One more question, will it do it on the ground while you observe it? If so, can you see the throttle servo move?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 AM
kmeyers

wingbolt
I don't remember names long, but, see I already answered in another thread by you that a 16x6 prop was way too small a load for the little 20. I also own and run a lot ( over 1000 hours) a Zenoah 20 which has nowhere near the power of the DLE 20 yet a 16x8 is perfect for it too.
I hope you have fun with your 20 as much as I have.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:37 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double. LOL. my way of putting it out of its misery. ( this a remark from wingbolt's sub title.

Last edited by tazzzz; 10-08-2016 at 11:47 AM.