Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Remote kill switch for magneto engines - options

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Remote kill switch for magneto engines - options

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 PM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote kill switch for magneto engines - options

I want to put a kill switch on my G-62 that can be operated from the transmitter. Current options, that I'm aware of are below.

Would welcome any experiences with these options or any other reliable solutions that you have

RCAT electronic switch for magneto engines.
Plugs directly into receiver- no servo or mechanical switch needed. Looks slick but always concerned about plugging something into my receiver that is connected to the ignition... Other than that I don't really have any concerns- in fact, I like it. http://www.rcatsystems.com/rc.php

Mechanical servo operated micro switch
Commonly available from Radio Shack - Great Planes has or had sold a variation at one time (below). Downside is that it requires a servo to push on the switch and I wonder if these hold up to vibration over time. Upside, not connected to the radio. Haven't found it on Tower site but found it here: http://www.brhobbies.com/products.asp?cat=153&pg=2 and https://www.radioshack.com/products/...nt=20332090693

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rc110_a.jpg
Views:	1392
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2187446   Click image for larger version

Name:	gpmg2150.JPG
Views:	2807
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2187447   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIcro SPDT Switch.jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	2187448  
Old 10-25-2016, 06:23 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used the second style - micro switch on both a Zenoah G62 and a Zenoah GT80 twin with no problems.

On the G62, the throttle pushrod actuated the switch. It was set to be activated at just below idle when flipping a switch on the transmitter. Didn't matter what the throttle setting. Activating the switch moved the servo to low throttle and the switch move the pushrod a tad further, killing the ignition.

Although it was a bit time consuming to set it up just so to ensure proper consistent operation. once done it was great.

The slide switch was wired parallel. That meant that both it and the transmitter switch were required to allow ignition. Either one would kill. That way, there was no chance of anyone just screwing around with the engine and starting it - like spectators can sometimes do.

With the GT 80, I got lazy and just ran it with its own servo, again with the slide switch wired parallel.

In both cases, never a failure.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I use a servo in a back up kill situation, I hook it up to the choke. Then no wiring, switch or other malfunctions could possibly interfere with me killing the engine from the transmitter. Plus, it's rather handy to flip a switch on the TX for choking rather than a sometimes fiddly hand operated choke.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 10-25-2016 at 12:16 PM.