Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Broken cast!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 05:10 PM
discusmike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken cast!!

Had a dead stick Monday which resulted in two of the four casted engine mounting holes where you bolt your engine to the stand offs being broken,can they be in welded back on or is the engine toast?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:11 PM
discusmike

I meant jb weld
Old 11-15-2016, 06:14 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd skip the JB weld and go directly to the replacement parts to replace the broken part. No clue what engine you have, but generally they aren't too hard to change out. If you feel a project like that is totally beyond you, maybe offer a flying buddy a 6 pack to have a look at it? Or a local small engine repair shop (somebody that works on lawn mowers and chain saws).
Old 11-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Its almost impossible to weld the lugs back on using any method while maintaining integrity and accuracy. Most likely, they would just break off again at a very bad time. Best to just replace the broken part if at all possible.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:32 AM
the pope

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Its almost impossible to weld the lugs back on using any method while maintaining integrity and accuracy. Most likely, they would just break off again at a very bad time. Best to just replace the broken part if at all possible.
I agree.When I was a metal worker and people would want some thing welded like this I would say I will either fix it or f##k it . Thats as scientific as it gets , Cheers

Last edited by the pope; 11-16-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Often a case is not really expensive and you have done the job right the first time!
Old 11-16-2016, 07:20 PM
wpmcnamara
My Feedback: (9)

As others have said, welding, of any type, is out of the question. Fix it or f***k it will depend on the motor and availability of parts. In the case of the DLE-61, you have to order the whole crank case ($99 at Tower), but you would only have to use the back half, saving you the pain of pulling the crank and bearings.

--wpm