Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Evolution Gas Engine - 33cc ( New Gas Engine User )

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution Gas Engine - 33cc ( New Gas Engine User )

Old 01-08-2017, 02:46 PM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution Gas Engine - 33cc ( New Gas Engine User )

I picked up a Hanger 9 1/4 scale Super Cub and it came with an Evolution 33cc gasoline option.

Been away from RC for a few years and am new to using a gasoline engine in RC airplanes.

Are these engines sold under any other names?

Looking for anyone who has hands on experience with this engine, good or bad.

Fuel selection is another issue .... I plan on going with manufacture recommendations, though I did read the thread on using AV Gas or Racing Fuel.

Hopefully I won't have any trouble ..... but one can never tell.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM
JohnB96041

I have the 30 cc Valiant with the Evolution 33gx gas motor and love it. I followed the instruction manual on setting up the 33gx motor and used regular gasoline and redline racing oil at 32:1 mix for break-in. It took almost two gallons of gas before breaking was starting to happen. I flew this model all last summer with this setting and gas/oil mixture and now am able to hand start this engine quit easily. I think it took longer to break in than a dle 30cc engine. This engine has plenty of power for the 30cc Valiant and will probably have plenty of power for the Hanger 9 1/4 scale super cub. By the way, I have the super cub bungee landing gear with 6" balloon wheels on my Valiant. Love this airplane.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:15 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experience with the 33 and other Evo engines.
They run fine with plenty of power.
If the engine has been broken in properly then you can run a 32:1 mix. If not then you will need to break it in with a 20:1 mix using regular old 2-cycle oil.
After break in I use synthetic oil (Klotz) mixed with av gas (100LL) . The av gas keeps the fuel lines and carb diaphragms from getting hard or you could use methanol-free pump gas too.

I would also change the plug just to be safe.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EVOE33GX-Manual_EN.pdf
Old 01-08-2017, 03:29 PM
harcosparky

Thanks ..... it is brand new in the box.

I may do break-in on the bench, much like I do with glow engines when setting them up.