Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

info on 30cc cobra gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Jblake55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on 30cc cobra gas engine

Hi everyone,

First off i just want to say that i am new to this forum, and new to RC boating.

I have so many questions to ask so i can know more about RC boats, but first i wanted to know more about the engine that is in my boat.

I had a SC truck 1/10 scale with a 3cc nitro SH engine, with a extra 2.5cc OS max nitro racing engine i was trying to sell, when i was approached by someone who wanted to make a trade for a boat, and Ive never owned a RC boat, and so i did the trade. what you guys think did i get a good trade or not?, the boat haul is new never been in the water, and the engine starts on one pull with low use on it. my truck was basically new i only broke in the SH engine, and the OS max engine was brand new

The boat i got is 55 inches long, wood haul, i measured from the nose of the boat to the back turn fin, is that how you measure a boat?

I was told that its a cracker box boat, on the bottom of the boat there is a fin in the middle. do you guys know if that is what kind of boat i have, or would a picture be better?

the gas engine is a 30cc cobra, it has water cooling and a clutch. I would really be grateful with information about this engine please!

can you guys tell me if its a good engine?, what the HP is? whats the highest rpms it does? who makes this engine? what would you rate this engine 3rd best or should i be looking to upgrade to a Zenith down the road, i hear they are the best, then enforcers?? how fast do you think my boat will go? the guy i got it from said 50 miles an hour, i know water conditions, prop can factor in, just looking for a general speed.

from what Ive read its a home-lite engine converted into a RC boat engine, what do they do to convert it? or is it just a weedeater motor with water cooling?

and lastly what is the oil mixture to gas ratio for this engine?

thanks so much for taking the time to help me out here, the more i know about my boat the better ill be prepared when i put it in the water shortly!

Joe

Last edited by Jblake55; 04-23-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: wrong area
Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If there is an RCU thread on boats, you might have more luck getting a response. This is an area for airplane engines.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:05 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
The engine you have is a converted Homelite weed-eater engine. They were converted for model use and sold as Cobras 20 years ago as that was a common thing to do before the more reliable and affordable gasser engines came out. The oil mix should be 30:1.
Here is the forum you should be in:
Speed - RC Gas Boats - RCU Forums
Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 PM
Jblake55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for posting in the wrong area.

thanks for the info though.

Joe