Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Kolm Engines??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kolm Engines??

Hey Guys, just wondering if anybody out there has any experience with Kolm Engines? I've heard that they are very nicely made and powerful. Most of what I have heard about them is coming from modelers in Europe. Doesn't seem that many folks here in the US are using them. I have a CARF P51 Galloping Ghost on order. Just waiting for it to come in. My plan is to install a Kolm 155IL. ( 155cc inline twin). If anybody out there has any experience flying these engines, please chime in. Thanks Jon
Old 06-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goetz Vogelsang is the guy you want to talk to. He has his Kolm155il running very good. Cooling and Prop choice is the key.Look on you tube Vogelsang spitfire.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:28 AM
Jonboy2

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I've already talked to Gotz about the Kolm Engines and his spitfire. I know he likes the engines. Just wondering if anybody else out there besides Gotz has any experience with these engines. If so, please chime in. I would appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Supermod56
My Feedback: (36)

I have the 240 four cylinder on my Christen Eagle, haven't flown it yet. I have bench ran it, and it's the only motor that ever scared me at full power! Very nicely made, all CNC machined. Get one for your CARF, you won't be disappointed! I've been thinking of doing the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	240-1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	2220892   Click image for larger version

Name:	240.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	2220893  
Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I watched a CARF Spit with the 155inline for power this year at Joe Nall. It was awesome in the plane. Both in power and sound.. you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 PM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Jon, I'm looking at the new CARF Galloping ghost as well and thinking the IL230. I had the same question since I don't see anyone running these at events or fields I've flown. I'm going to call Gotz as well since I've bought much from him and great to deal with. You may also think of talking to Julian at JM Engine works. I know he works on the Kolm in the US and he did work on my Moki 300 for me. Great service. He might have some insight on it. Rob
Old 11-06-2017, 10:56 PM
Ixtrim

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Jonboy2
do you have already your ghost with a 155 inside ? :-)

Tom
Old 11-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Jonboy2

Hey Tom,
I am still working on getting the Galloping ghost together. I am making my own engine install/ baffle kit. It has turned out to be pretty challenging but I enjoy a good challenge. I have never had a Kolm engine before but they are beautifully made. I decided on the 155 IL after seeing Gotz Vogelsangs CARF Spitfire fly with the same motor. It goes like a bat out of hell. Hopefully mine will go just as well.

Originally Posted by Ixtrim
Hey Jonboy2
do you have already your ghost with a 155 inside ? :-)

Tom
Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 PM
rbgetz

Hey JonBoy2.. I'm looking at this model with the same setup. What Prop do you plan with the 155?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Jonboy2

After talking with Gotz quite a bit about this motor and prop selections, i will be using a SEP 26-16. It is the same prop he has been using on his Spitfire with the 155 IL. If I remember right he said he has over 200 flights with this prop on the 155 without issue, using Amzoil Dominator or Saber oil 40:1. If you have not seen the video yet of his Spit, check it out on his website. Pretty impressive. It hauls some serious butt. I believe I read somewhere that at one point it was clocked at 180mph with this motor/prop combo. He also recommended a Fiala 28:16 if you prefer a little less speed but more prop noise.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Ixtrim

That sounds awesome! So, i thought about starten an own kolm-Thread. Something like "All about kolm engines". Would be cool when you join in and Show us your kolm-planes and Installation situations. Also i can Support you with Fotos and some Infos about running a Kolm.
What do you think ?

Tom
Old 11-08-2017, 11:08 PM
Ixtrim

Maybe some of you join in and Show some Photos :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...l#post12382103
Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Jonboy2

Hey Tom,
I think that is a great idea to start a thread dedicated to “KOLM” engines. There doesn't seem to be many guys here in the US running these engines yet. It would be nice to have a resource to go to to pick the brains of modelers in other parts of the world that are running and have much more experience with these engines.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 PM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by Jonboy2
Hey Tom,
I think that is a great idea to start a thread dedicated to “KOLM” engines. There doesn't seem to be many guys here in the US running these engines yet. It would be nice to have a resource to go to to pick the brains of modelers in other parts of the world that are running and have much more experience with these engines.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:20 AM
sipixx

Kolm Engine Tuning Made Simple...

I know that there are a lot of modelers out there with a lot of experience and some of this information may be redundant.

I have four Kolm engines and they all run flawlessly. For those struggling with Kolm engine tuning I hope this will help.

Kolm Engine Tuning Made Simple

The first thing to check after your engine install is for all of your carburetors to be in line via the linkage as it comes from the factory. This is a very important step that will save you a lot of time and frustration later. The carburetors being off can, and will, cause problems during the tuning process. Each carburetor should match from closed all the way to full throttle.
On your first attempt at starting the engine you want your needle settings to be L1 H1.5 (low needle setting) 1 turn out from the stop and the H (high needle setting) 1 ½ turns out from stop. When setting your needles back to the stop position be careful not to tighten them too tight at the closed position as you can damage the needle valve and seat on the Walbro carburetor. Just lightly closed is good. Remember counter clockwise richens / opens and clockwise leans / closes.
Tuning
If you open the throttle fairly quickly and the engine dies, the Low (L) mixture is too lean. To richen it, turn the (L) needles counter clockwise about 1/8th of a turn on all carburetors and try again. This may take several attempts: turn the low (L) mixture screw counter clockwise 1/8th turn each time.
If you go past the ideal setting when richening the Low (L) mixture when you increase the throttle smoothly the engine will not die but start to sound dirty or slightly rough running on the way up. If this is the case lean the low (L) needle ever so slightly ( 1/32nd or 1/16th ) until the engine performs as you want it.
The Kolm engine, like any engine, will be tuning upwards of 1000 rpm’s faster while flying and will be under less of a load. If at full throttle while flying, the engine sounds slightly dirty land and richen the (H) high needle valve by turning counter clockwise about 1/16th of a turn until the dirty sound stops. You should never have to richen the high (H) side more than 1 3/4 turns out.
Safety check. Some people are and some are not comfortable with this, but before you fly you should have two or three people lift the aircraft off the ground while running. You should then transition from idle to full throttle and have the people tilt the aircraft almost vertical to ensure that the engine maintains constant a PRM. If the engine dies this means that the high (H) side is definitely too lean and you need to richen the high (H) side. Start with 1 /16th of a turn.

*Remember when you take your aircraft to different parts of the country atmospheric conditions and altitude may have changed and you may have to re- tune*

Last edited by sipixx; 11-30-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:57 AM
Ixtrim

Hey Simon!

Can you repost this in “all about kolm engines “ ??

thanks for this awesome description!!!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:57 AM
rbgetz

Sipixx, this was very helpful information. It was one of the open questions I had on the Kolm, "tunng", and nice to see no different then most engines. One question I had was you mentioned, "you should never richen the (H) more than 1.25 turns out, but above that you stated starting at 1.5 turns out. just curious as to part....
Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 AM
sipixx

Originally Posted by rbgetz
Sipixx, this was very helpful information. It was one of the open questions I had on the Kolm, "tunng", and nice to see no different then most engines. One question I had was you mentioned, "you should never richen the (H) more than 1.25 turns out, but above that you stated starting at 1.5 turns out. just curious as to part....
rbgetz,
Thank you for the compliment and for catching that. It was a typo and I have corrected it now.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM
rbgetz

Hey Jonboy2, My Galloping Ghost kit just arrived at the house. There was no manual included. I was wondering if you have any insight on that? Are you using some information from the base CARF P-51 manual for throws, CG, ect..? Normally CARF is on top of these things. I'm interested on how the air flow for engine cooling is designed, along with the air exit. Rob
Old 01-04-2019, 05:29 AM
Ixtrim

hey Rob. keep us updated please!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:27 PM
rbgetz

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing the videos. I'll hopefully get some good ones in the spring after the snow melts.

Rob
Old 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Ixtrim

No problem :-)

here are 2 important links if you are interested in Kolm Engines:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...engines-5.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...il230-3-a.html

thanks

tom