Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G-62 endplay

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Pete S-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G-62 endplay

How much crankshaft end play should a G-62 have?
How is it adjusted?
Mine has about 1/16th inch of end play or more, another one I have doesn't have any that I can feel.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:56 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

look in the parts list? I think there are shims that can be used to take up end play?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Pete S-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-62

I see the thrust washer in the exploded view, but I'm wondering what the spec is for end play?
The plane has been hanging from a PVC pipe rack I built years ago to hang my planes from the rafters in my work shop.
I found it on the floor, the hanger broke and damaged the rudder and a few other things, not serious.
Then I noticed the end play in the crankshaft, not sure if it landed on the prop or not.
Thought I better check it out before I run it.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

.010" or .25mm
Old 06-23-2017, 04:46 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 on the .010 endplay
If you have more than .015 endplay remove the crank and install the shim between the crankshaft and bearing , front or rear ,whichever end the bearing comes of the easiest .After reassembly rotate the crank several times and tap the crank with a hard rubber or brass mallet from both ends to center the crank in the bearings then recheck the endplay .Repeat as needed . If more than one shim is needed avoid stacking them on the same end of the crank if possible. Stacking can give erroneous endplay readings
Old 06-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've flown Zenoah engines with what seemed like excessive endplay but I could never see any problems from it. Ralph Cunningham told me it was an easy fix but not to worry about it unless it bothered me.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:34 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Ralph is the man on all things engine .
The problem I have seen if the runout gets beyond .015 is that the ignition pickup can get out of track with the magnet on some ei engines. Magneto engine's would not have this isue.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CK1
Ralph is the man on all things engine .
The problem I have seen if the runout gets beyond .015 is that the ignition pickup can get out of track with the magnet on some ei engines. Magneto engine's would not have this isue.
Agree and especially with some of the RCexl sensors as sold with many aftermarket ignition kits. Magnet size and strength also has a large effect on how much movement would be tolerated. If a sensor such as RCXP is used, the sweet spot above the magnet is much larger and will tolerate considerable fore and aft crank movement.

The main thing with crank end play .... its just a nuisance and especially if a tight fitting spinner is used.

Loctite could also be used between the crank and the inner bearing races but that would make disassembly a real pain.