My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Saito FG-19R3

I didn't see any threads on this engine so I'm starting one so I can hopefully hear others experiences with it. I purchased one along with a Keleo exhaust ring. Broke the engine in, and installed it in a old Giant Scale Planes (GSP) Corsair from 2003 that a friend had. Plane weighed in at 12.5lbs with the engine on it (heavy!). With a 15x6 APC prop I barely got the plane to leave the ground. Unfortunately I did get it off the ground and it flew so slow that once I made a turn it spiraled into the really tall grass. Almost no damage, but I realize that the airframe is too heavy for this engine.

Anyone else have any experience with it? I see someone on YouTube flying it with a Phoenix Waco biplane and looks like he has good luck with it. He's flying with the cowl off, I imagine in order to keep it cool. I always setup baffles with my radials and they seem to stay cool, but nonetheless I may fly my next plane without a cowl.

Thinking of the Phoenix Stinson or Waco. Or possibly the Top Flight AT-6 Texan.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:31 AM
jaav

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one in a BH P47. Ive done 2 hours of bench running but it still drops # 2 cly at idle. Told it will need more run time. No fight time yet, have no time to scratch my ass ATM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 AM
Timbers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jaav View Post
I have one in a BH P47. Ive done 2 hours of bench running but it still drops # 2 cly at idle. Told it will need more run time. No fight time yet, have no time to scratch my ass ATM.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it comes up to temperature when you get up in the RPMs then you know its working. When you run rich like when you are breaking it in you may not even get the bottom two cylinders to fire, and thats normal.

I flew mine finally. Engine ran and flew fine. Its not very powerful, I would have expected more from 19cc, but it flys good enough for the scale Stinson Reliant that I put it in. I didn't do any fancy baffle work with this radial because the cowl is just too small. When I came down the engine was screaming hot. So I'm not going to fly it again until I either block off the area between the cylinders with baffles, or just remove the cowl completely.

Here is a video of me flying:
Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 AM
jaav

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MMM Now you have me worried about my P47 being to heavy... It was a slug with the FG21 in it but that engine just wouldn't run properly.My bird s just under 11 pounds.

Last edited by jaav; 08-10-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:19 AM
Timbers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll weigh the plane when I get home for you so you can tell if your P47 will be too heavy. I also have an FG-21 and I love it. I have over 7 gallons through it and its run flawlessly. I have it in a Seagull Yak 54. I can hover the plane, so it has power. Not as much as a 2 stroke engine of the same size, but its ok for sport flying. What types of issues are you having with yours?

The FG-19R3 for me feels a lot weaker than the FG-21. The weight of it probably contributes to the power difference that you feel. But if you are flying a scale plane its just fine. As long as its not too heavy. I'd think anything 12lbs and under should fly just fine. I'll let you know.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 AM
jaav

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks.. The FG-21 has taken out 2 air frames and almost cost the 47. Just could never get it to keep in tune from new, it was sent back to the distributor for a new carby and ignition system was fine for a few flights then cam back with problems.. Not used it for 2 years Thought I had it sorted but it kept dropping tune.. Gave up and refitted the OS 91fs.. and now the FG21.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtqbGUc3kE
Old 08-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Timbers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You had some deadsticks with it? These gas Saitos need to have more cooling than the nitro engines need because they don't have the gobs of oil to carry heat out of the exhaust like the nitros do. What does your cooling setup look like?

Your video shows the FG-20. The FG-20 is a piece of trash. The ignition system was horrible and wouldn't maintain top RPM without fading off, and there are no pressed in valve seats. So even if you get the FG-20 to run properly, your exhaust valve will burn through the chrome plated aluminum valve seat within 2 gallons and the engine will need to be repaired. The FG-21 fixed all of these problems.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 AM
jaav

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry it is the 20.. the 21 fixed up the 20.. It never flew with a cowling fitted.. Funny as Ive tried to sell it but no one wants it.... The word got out what junk it is.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM
extraedge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I gone to try it in a Segull Texan 120 👍
Hope to get it in the air Monday !
It is a not a buateful airplane (its ****) but the engine is buateful😃👍

Last edited by extraedge; 04-20-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: More to say