WESTJDREW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Recommendation Phoenix Edge 540 .90-1.20

I want to get one of these planes up and going. I am just getting back into the hobby after a break of about 10 years.

I want to get this plane going with a gas motor. All I did was glow before, So I am a newby at gas. I have an evolution 10cc, so it won't be my first.

I fly at a high altitude where the density altitude approaches up to 10,000 feet in the summer.

I see a lot of people are using the DLE 20. I am afraid it will be slightly underpowered at a higher elevation.

Any recommendations?

It looks like the Zenoah G26 is a bit more powerful, but twice the weight.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're determined to fly this plane, the DLE 20 is your best solution from a power to weight perspective.
For somebody coming back from a 10 year hiatus, personally, I'd be looking for something with more wing area and less weight. These planes can be a handful while getting the control throws, exponential and CG set up while at low altitude. Add a low time pilot and high altitude, and you might want to see if you can sell tickets to the maiden.....

Be very careful with the amount of "up" elevator on your early flights....
Old 07-17-2017, 09:57 AM
av8tor1977

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good points. I have been flying for about 40 years, but whenever it happens that I don't fly for a month or more, I jump on the simulator for a while, and then fly one of my easier to fly sport ships for a bit before going back to my hotter planes.

You don't forget how to fly, but you do get "rusty", and high density altitudes along with high wing loaded airplanes can compound the problem for sure. Only a moments confusion or hesitation can cause the loss of a nice plane.

Having said all that, you might take a look at the RCGF 26cc engine...

AV8TOR
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM
av8tor1977

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To get started again, a Great Planes Big Stik with that Evolution 10cc engine of yours would be a nice choice. It is hard to beat a Stik for an easy but fun to fly "knock around" plane. For a bit more of a challenge and a different look, do what I do sometimes; assemble it as a low winger. Easy to do....

AV8TOR
Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 AM
WESTJDREW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That 26cc motor looks good and the price looks reasonable as well. The Evolution 10cc is a good engine but it is a little underpowered in the .40 size acrobatic plane I have. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a plane and have it underpowered.

At this elevation I have always gone beyond the engine range. A couple of examples:

Great Plane .40 size Extra 300 - Saito 91
Hangar 9 Corsair 60 - Saito 120
Phoenix SU-31 .40 - Super Tiger 61

I revived some of my glow powered stuff earlier this year and have been getting my skills back up. I sold most of my stuff about a decade ago and now I want to get back into the bigger stuff.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:42 PM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor1977 View Post
Good points. I have been flying for about 40 years, but whenever it happens that I don't fly for a month or more, I jump on the simulator for a while, and then fly one of my easier to fly sport ships for a bit before going back to my hotter planes.

You don't forget how to fly, but you do get "rusty", and high density altitudes along with high wing loaded airplanes can compound the problem for sure. Only a moments confusion or hesitation can cause the loss of a nice plane.

Having said all that, you might take a look at the RCGF 26cc engine...

AV8TOR
The 26 might be a good idea. It'll swing a 1" bigger prop at sea level, but it's not helping the wing loading issue one bit.
DLE 20 = 820g all up (including muffler, ign. module)
RCGF = 943g all up.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:14 PM
av8tor1977

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I understand your "pain" about density altitude. Living in various parts of Arizona, I have fought with it as well, and I too use much larger engines than the planes call for according to the mfg. (My .40 size Twist is great fun with the old Fox .78 I have on it.) ;~)

I sometimes also increase the wing area on some planes to help. Depending on the plane and situation though, this sometimes requires an addition of more tail surface area too.

One time a friend and I took off from Tucson International Airport in a tired old Cessna 150 on a really hot, muggy day. (Density Altitude 7000 ft.) It took us 2 miles to gain enough altitude to cross over the high tension wires far off the end of the runway!! Big pucker factor for sure!!

AV8TOR

Search this Thread