Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE35RA started to run rough.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Red Beers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE35RA started to run rough.

As the title says my DLE 35 has a gallon of fuel through it and has started missing. At one point it back fired when it missed. I have changed the plug from the DLE new (platinum) plug to a brand new NGK CM6, no difference. I have removed the needle valves, cleaned (nothing found) reset to factory settings, no different except it was harder to hear the miss because it was running rougher. It seems to act up after it gets hotter, the first flight of the day you get 6 laps around the field and after that on the first or second pass. It's getting worse, now it may pop/cough/stutter 3 times in a couple of seconds.

Any thoughts???

Thanks Red
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Red, Try changing the ignition module/battery pack. Dan.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:09 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, the battery or ignition itself. I have had 2 ignitions go bad while still under warranty. Check to make sure the timing sensor hasn't slipped also.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Red Beers

Thanks guys, that's 3 votes on the ignition (got one at the field also)...got one coming.

I'm using a tech aero BEC from the receiver. The receiver is powered by two A123 batteries.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My bet it is an ignition problem but probably not the module. Try replacing the sensor and use one from RC Extreme power. Better sensor than the one RCexl (DLE) provides. Retime and report back with results. Common problem with an easy and cheap fix.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If using the Tech Aero IBEC, make sure it is set at the highest voltage setting.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:17 AM
Red Beers

Update. I reset the Tech Aero IBEC from 5.1 to 6.6, no change. Then I installed the RCexl ignition...FIXED. The DLE ignitions are on back order so I got a RCexl. The ignition did not come with a pickup/sensor so it wasn't that. I will however order a couple to have on hand, thanks Truckracer.

About the original DLE ignition. I like to use J-tec wire mounts to keep the airplane clean. In this case I super glued them in place with battery wire in the J-tec. Yep it stuck really GOOD. So now I have a ignition under warranty with the black and red coating striped off in two places. I realize electrical tape will fix this but not sure what the warranty folks will say. The metal spark plug lead has also been rubbed or nicked when in contact with the muffler.

Is there anything I can do to fix the ignition?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:23 AM
Red Beers

Next...The engine has had a "burble" in it since new. It is most noticeable at mid throttle. Some at the field say "It's reliable, it's running, leave it alone". OK they are right but it bugs me. Any ideas on what it will it take to smooth it out?

Thanks Red.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 AM
Red Beers

OK I'm reading through the Bob Pastarello's first post regarding gas engines and came across this

7. Remove and toss the "stop screw" on the throttle arm plate, then unhook the little spring that pulls the butterfly closed, unless you want your throttle servo under constant load/tension. DO NOT REMOVE THE SPRING..

I removed the spring because it was binding. Could this be my problem? Not sure why he said not to remove the spring.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

No, though the practice of removing the spring is not recommended, that's not your issue with mid range burbling. The absence of the spring allows the throttle plate and shaft to rattle, causing premature wear, to those components and the areas they contact on the carb body.

Got to agree with your buddies. The burbling is something you (often reluctantly) get used to after a while. It's actually the sound of a happy, lightly loaded engine in cruise mode. If you add load by pulling the nose up a little, you'll notice that burble disappears. You can also add prop pitch, but that often has the downside of reduced vertical performance, so whether that's a practical solution is going to depend on you and your flying style.

Last, often you can make SOME difference in that burble by increasing the spark plug gap from suggested to something around .025"-.026". Don't ask why, just try it. Most noticeable if you do a before and after within a few minutes of each other. Don't make the mod at home and expect to notice it at the field. It's not THAT big a difference. -Al
Old 08-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Red Beers

Thanks for the ideas AL.

Red.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Red Beers

Thanks Al.

Just got back from the field. Still had the burble when I put a little load on it (pulled up in a climb) and was still frustrated. Anyway, I kept on flying and was having a good flying day so it's time to try the crow that Andy helped me get mixed in. Guess what, no more burble at 1/3 throttle flying around the patch with the crow. I guess I finally got enough load on the prop. Maybe a bigger prop with more pitch is what's called for. I think the DLE 35 RA with an 18X10 has unlimited vertical on the 30CC Ultra Stick. I'm not a 3D guy so I don't need to pull out of a hover.

Red
Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM
ahicks

Maybe a 19 or 20" prop is in your future?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Red Beers

I'm looking at a 3 blade 18X10 Mezlic ( I know spelling) from DA. I still have prop clearance issues. I did however just order 5" wheels. Thoughts?

Red
Old 08-06-2017, 04:37 PM
ahicks

Your call Red. I might fly that plane much differently than you do. Think 3D....

I've never cared for a 3 blade due to reduced performance. That's not to say things may have come a long way since I last tried one....