Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Reducing the Noise on my DLE30

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:58 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing the Noise on my DLE30

Has anybody any experience with one of these silencers? https://www.redwingrc.com/Muffler-Silencer-for-DLE-30/
This may be a useless pursuit as they don't seem to be available, at least currently.

How effective are they? I know there is a drop in RPM, but that does not concern me in my installation. I have excess engine power available anyway. I am more concerned with additional heat. My installation is fully cowled and though it does not have overheating problems now, that silencer could tip the balance. Any experience with heat problems?

Thanks in advance!

Bedford
Old 08-14-2017, 05:01 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to the owner of JTEC about a year or two ago about adding these to my muffler and he said that it will increase the engine temperature. No telling the actual numbers, but you might have to improve the cooling in the cowl if you install this. I had one installed briefly on my plane with very open cowl for cooling and it quieted the noise a bit before the silencer fell off and got lost in a grass field because I neglected to strap it down.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:50 PM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that is what I thought. I will have to give it a try, if they become available again. Not an overly expensive experiment. I have one trick left up my sleeve to increase air flow to some degree, if needed.

Regards,

Bedford
Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

A very simple method to reduce exhaust noise is by stuffing a small piece of the wife's Brillo cleaning pad ( similar to very coarse steel wool) in the tip of the exhaust stack and drill a small hole in the stack and use a small split pin or something similar to keep the Brillo in place.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:26 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Redwing closed in the spring.

Milehigh has them:
Mile High RC -DLE Muffler, Pitts Muffler, tuned pipe, smoke muffler, canister muffler, DLE30 Canister, DLE20 Canister, DLE55 Canister, DLE111 Canister, DA60 pitts,MLD pitts
Old 08-14-2017, 06:53 PM
hsukaria

Hobby King used to have them, but have not looked to see if they still do.