Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DA-50 returned from DA won't start ???

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-50 returned from DA won't start ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:39 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-50 returned from DA won't start ???

Had a DA 50 in a pilot Sbach and it had what I thought was very excessive vibration. I sent it back to DA and when I talked with the guy at DA he told me I simply didn't have the needles properly adjusted. Okay I can accept that, I'm no expert when it comes to adjusting the needles and I'll admit that. DA was very reasonable in their charges and I know after they do any work on the engine they test run it, but here's where it gets puzzling. I got the engine back, mounted it on the plane and fueled it up, used a freshly charged 4.8 volt ignition battery, and tried to start the engine. I flipped and flipped, tried and tried and not even a pop, checked to verify fuel and it was there, priming pulled the gas to the carb just like it was supposed to. Thought it could be the switch, bypassed the switch and still no fire. Tried another battery and still nothing. I know without a doubt that he had it running fine at DA but now I can get it to do absolutely nothing. I have not touched the needles so I just can't figure this out. I need some advice please. I know the DA ignition works differently than others, How do I test it? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the plug and insert it back into the cap all the way. You don't have to ground the plug to the case but I do just out of habit.
Now turn on the ignition switch and give the engine a real good flip and check for spark. Without compression it will be easy to spin the engine fast enough for the pickup coil to generate a spark.

A DA needs a good strong flip for the coil to "tell" the ignition to generate a spark unlike other ignitions where the sensor simply has to slowly pass over a magnet for the ignition to generate a spark.

If you have spark then it is fuel or carb related.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:21 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

First, I would call DA for suggestions as they are the last ones who touched the engine before returning it to you. Give them a chance to resolve the problem.

Second, double check to see the sensor is plugged into the ignition correctly. Many times, in a rush people plug the sensor in backwards. The engine will run this way but very poorly if you can get it started.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I've spent most of the afternoon testing the ignition on the DA, I pulled the plug and it was wet with fuel indicating fuel but no fire. I put a fresh CM 6 plug in the boot just to be sure. Tried it with different freshly charged batteries, by-passed the switch, checked all wiring connection polarities,flipped it over with the plug boot grounded, not grounded, even used a megatron starter to make sure it was spinning fast enough. Not once did it show a spark, so it's time to order a new ignition. Thanks for the replies and the help.