All about Kolm Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sipixx
Kolm Engines CLOSED.
If it was not for Mr. Ploberger and his passion for these amazing engines Kolm would be completely gone. Mr. Ploberger has told many people that he can not honor any warranty work 100% free of charge for any engines that were sold prior to his acquisition of Kolm BUT, he will be willing to offer a discount for service and repair to the people that did buy a Kolm prior to his acquisition of Kolm. This is a huge benefit for those people. Imagine if there was know Kolm at all! What then? I see some people getting upset at the situation when they should be glad that someone stepped up not only to continue to produce such an amazing engine but also to honor to a fair and reasonable point after sales support for everyone that purchased before there was Mr. Plobereger
I for one am glad that I can still purchase a three-cylinder powerhouse with an incredible sound and that I can get service for the Kolm Motors I purchased prior to Mr. Ploberger stepping up to keep the legacy going...
To my knowledge there has been no announcement, press release, or otherwise, to explain the transfer of ownership and the new policies going forward. So either way, open or closed, its going to leave people upset to have to find out with little to no communication.
These moves have to planned and executed correctly or there will be collateral damage to the business and the customers.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:40 PM
sipixx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be collateral damage to the business and the customers! that's a little extreme. After all, this is a hobby and while I am sure that maybe your expectations are not being met in the way you would like them met I am sure you will receive some help with the product you have. for example this thread and the fact the guy (Tom Gass) is communicating with you to help you with the problems you have.

Also to touch on good old Uncle Sam. Yes everyone who purchases something from overseas has to pay import duty and tax. We all do.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Hodson

Default kolm surrport

Am happy Kolm has kept going and have placed order for new 310 inline for my spitfire with new company I have found new Kolm crew good deal with and share there experiences Tom is dead right when talks about cooling and running engine to lean is what will kill it my 200 inline is three years old and is running well and if service it it will last years and sure more newzealand models will buy them and we have pay 15 precent sales tax not Kolm problem you just need do home work first will post some photo soon of big spit fire cheers from happy customer )
Old 01-15-2019, 07:19 AM
Nostromo1

Having thought about it some more, I can understand the points Ixtrim and Sipixx have made. Last year I recall several companies stopped operations, for example Lado retracts from France, Top Flite kits from the US (even thought they had not released a new product in years, their kits were still good), and Solartex in the UK. I think it is commendable that a few folks have enough confidence in the viability of their products to reorganize business operations and continue production. I am glad and reassured that they are willing to support the previously produced engines with parts and technical advice, but having a new company assume responsibility of a lot of existing products which they have not directly sold would place them at a severe disadvantage. I think what might have bothered some existing owners is the expectation of the continuity of the warranty, but realistically that contract exists as long as the original company exists. It's now a new company but people would transfer their expectations to this new company because the name has carried forward. I think this will subside steadily as folks understand the new dynamic.
My main concern was over the need for full cost disclosure here in the US. Ixtrim mentioned that's been addressed. I do hope the updates on the Spitfire build continue. It's a very impressive build.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:48 AM
Ixtrim

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you Simon for the explanation and Mr. Hodson for your kind words.
My English is not the best so maybe I can’t explain all this total correct

to to keep the words : “all about kolm engines “ serious I started for the spitfire a new thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l#post12493416

i though here we will go on very generously. All Types of engines , all kind of tips and tricks. People should show there installations , coolings and share their experiences depending on used Props, Rpm’s and so on. Fell free to ask anything you want !

By the way: today my next project arrived. For sure kolm-powerd. Hawker Hurricane , scratch build , 3meters wingspan.

Last edited by Ixtrim; 01-16-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:09 AM
Ixtrim

Here it is
Old 01-16-2019, 05:49 AM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ixtrim

Here it is
Looks great Tom, be careful so you don’t fly the wings of this one
Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 AM
sipixx

Originally Posted by flypilot

Looks great Tom, be careful so you don’t fly the wings of this one

Looks awesome Tom. Just needs a Kolm now :-D
Old 01-16-2019, 06:07 AM
StangFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kolm 150 with starter

Gents, I love what you all are doing with your builds and no doubt the Kolm engines are far superior to anything we that have been in this hobby for many years have ever seen or probably will ever see for that matter. Sadly, I am probably going to part with my "NEW" 150cc triple with starter. It was purchased and intended for my Don Smith 112" Mustang. Unfortunately, the design of the motor box and overall airframe is just not up to the power of this beast and mounting it will be a complete "P.I.T.A.". I really have lost the fire I need to complete this project with this engine. That said, I wish you all the best of luck and hope that Kolm can work out it's marketing difficulties. In the meantime, If anyone is interested in purchasing my 150 3 cylinder, I will make them a very good deal. I will also include free of charge the CARF Spitfire install kit as a complete package. I can be contacted at [email protected]
Best wishes to all of you. And for what it is worth, Tom is one of the most awesome gents I have had the pleasure to get to know. Love your installs and flying Tom. Thanks so much for everything.
Rob

Old 01-16-2019, 06:38 AM
Nostromo1

Tom, the Hurricane has a nice authentic weathered look to it. But, I'm very curious as to what the little car/truck is on the side in the third photo. Has a 1930's vibe to it.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by StangFlyer
Gents, I love what you all are doing with your builds and no doubt the Kolm engines are far superior to anything we that have been in this hobby for many years have ever seen or probably will ever see for that matter. Sadly, I am probably going to part with my "NEW" 150cc triple with starter. It was purchased and intended for my Don Smith 112" Mustang. Unfortunately, the design of the motor box and overall airframe is just not up to the power of this beast and mounting it will be a complete "P.I.T.A.". I really have lost the fire I need to complete this project with this engine. That said, I wish you all the best of luck and hope that Kolm can work out it's marketing difficulties. In the meantime, If anyone is interested in purchasing my 150 3 cylinder, I will make them a very good deal. I will also include free of charge the CARF Spitfire install kit as a complete package. I can be contacted at [email protected]
Best wishes to all of you. And for what it is worth, Tom is one of the most awesome gents I have had the pleasure to get to know. Love your installs and flying Tom. Thanks so much for everything.
Rob

rob... very sad to hear that!

But i have to thank you for your kind words. Probably you thing about keeping the engine and get a plane where it can be installed more easy ?

sleep one night about it
Old 01-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by Nostromo1
Tom, the Hurricane has a nice authentic weathered look to it. But, I'm very curious as to what the little car/truck is on the side in the third photo. Has a 1930's vibe to it.

the photos are from the workshop of the pre-owner. so sadly I can’t tell the story

the hurricane has amazing details. On Friday i’m Back in the shop and find out what engine will fit. Was powered with a 3W 150. But came out of the cowling... aweful.

Tom
Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 AM
Ixtrim

Here some details
Old 01-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Hodson

Default Rob mustang

don’t give up Rob as your mustang would handle that motor having put 200 Kolm in spit kit design for 100 things you need to look at is the elevator design and linkage the spar in the wing along with arelion hinging and the fire wall area with some carbon fibre and care placement hinges and linkage with good 25kg servo that can handle 7.4 volts don’t no don smith brand but at 112 inch your wing area and wing loading would be good cheers stan
Old 01-20-2019, 07:02 PM
StangFlyer

Originally Posted by Hodson
don’t give up Rob as your mustang would handle that motor having put 200 Kolm in spit kit design for 100 things you need to look at is the elevator design and linkage the spar in the wing along with arelion hinging and the fire wall area with some carbon fibre and care placement hinges and linkage with good 25kg servo that can handle 7.4 volts don’t no don smith brand but at 112 inch your wing area and wing loading would be good cheers stan
Thanks Stan... I guess I have just been in a bit of a slump. I am a sunshine kind of person and well, the weather here has basically sucked beyond belief. But I am sure it is for a lot of people this time of year. The Don Smith Mustang is "A LOT" of work and I had gotten discouraged because many parts of the kit were missing, broken wood or extremely poor quality 20 year old Bud Nosen wood included in a brand new $1000.00 dollar kit from PCK. But after thinking about it, my only alternative to this huge Mustang would be a Carf, which as you know is an ARF. And slightly smaller than the Don Smith. Or 3w which is also an Almost ready to paint, but the same size as the Don Smith. I do like to build and I do like having things my own way. Gee, how many of us are there like that? LOL. So I have ultimately decided to see it through. (For now) As mentioned, The Don Smith 112" Mustang is a ton of work, but I think it will be well worth it once it is done. Due to wanting to keep the weight down, I am probably not going to do a sliding canopy. I may change my mind on that later if I can find the correct rails for the sliding canopy. But in leu of that, I do want to put in a fully animated pilot, nav and landing lights and functional radiator cooler doors to keep that big Kolm 150 cooled. I plan to run a high output CPU fan mounted to the front former, ducting the hot air coming from the 150, through a duct that will be basically a channel from the front former across the wing and exhaust through the cooler door in the back of the fuse. I plan to make it out of something very light and will also be removable for access to the inside of the fuse when needed. I love a P51 Mustang more than any other WWII warbird and can't feature putting the Kolm 150cc 3 cylinder in anything else at this time. My second choice would be a 1/4 scale P40. But to date, none are available. A couple of them are in the works, but I can always attack that when they are. So I want to thank you for "nudging" me to keep going. I did get started on the stab/elevators. And just like the Fuse, A TON of work. But I am doing it right. I'm just anal that way. I will try to keep you all updated as my build progresses. This is where I am at so far. Made new spacers for the front engine hanger so that I can still use the onboard starter. Fuse is basically framed and getting closer for glassing. Started the stab/elevator construction.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:40 PM
Hodson

Default Mustang

great to hear Rob the wing loading should be good so weight with in reason should not be problem weight as you go but I think you could get away with 26 kg and be fine I use carbon fibre to keep weight down and careful when using fibre glass most planes start when get CFG to far back which is worst to far forward And if want see spit flying that is 26 kg go u tube and put in Stan madien spit flight cheers stan
Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 PM
StangFlyer

Originally Posted by Hodson
great to hear Rob the wing loading should be good so weight with in reason should not be problem weight as you go but I think you could get away with 26 kg and be fine I use carbon fibre to keep weight down and careful when using fibre glass most planes start when get CFG to far back which is worst to far forward And if want see spit flying that is 26 kg go u tube and put in Stan madien spit flight cheers stan
Thanks again Stan. Actually I am seriously shooting for the 20 kg to 24 kg range. So far, the fuse is coming in at 3.4 kg. I have incorporated Carbon Fiber rods inside the fuse. (6) running the length from the front former where the motor mount will be to behind the cockpit former. Once glassed, I am pretty sure the plane will be strong enough.
Here is a question for Thomas Gass. Referring to the starter motor on the Kolm 150, it is a J4250-510. I remember we chatted briefly about this but do not remember now. What is the best ESC to use for that starter motor? Will a Castle Creations Talon 90 be sufficient? I am moving forward with this build, and will probably look for input from you gents. Thanks... Happy evening everyone. Rob
Old 01-21-2019, 02:10 AM
Ixtrim

we have a perfect made 2.75m Mustange in full composite here in austria. its a small private builder, but for sure i can get you a kit is you want!

i also bought the moulds of the 2.8m P40 from Werner Kranz Germany. this plane will be produced in CZ in future. hope it is aviable end of 2019. keep you updated!!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:53 PM
StangFlyer

Default esc

Hey Thomas... I know you answered this for me earlier but like everything else, if I don't write it down I forget it. What is the best ESC for the starter motor on my Kolm 150 (3)? According to the information I have located on the starter motor, (J4250-10) It requires a 90 amp esc. Is this correct? I will leave you a message on FB also. Thanks for your time buddy.
Rob
Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 PM
Ixtrim

Good morning!

Sended you PM in Facebook :-)

40 amps "Opto" Esc. recommanded 3S.

Tom
Old 01-25-2019, 11:24 AM
authomassen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, I am building a Top Flite P-47D with a new EZ67. What would be the best prop size? 24x12? Or 26x12?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Nostromo1

Tom,
I was looking at the IL100 and was wondering if that could be the basis for a future 50cc. The existing 50 has a rear twin cam design which differs from your other motors, and perhaps is more expensive to produce. But with a single side cam, I'm guessing the existing cylinder and crankcase might be used with a new cam and rear cover. Naturally you have more technical insight, but I just thought I'd mention the idea because 50cc would be an appealing size for a first Kolm in 75-85 inch models.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Petunian

Tom,
I was looking at the IL100 and was wondering if that could be the basis for a future 50cc. The existing 50 has a rear twin cam design which differs from your other motors, and perhaps is more expensive to produce. But with a single side cam, I'm guessing the existing cylinder and crankcase might be used with a new cam and rear cover. Naturally you have more technical insight, but I just thought I'd mention the idea because 50cc would be an appealing size for a first Kolm in 75-85 inch models.
Following, because I need a 50cc Kolm.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 AM
Ixtrim

Tom,

we have ONE 50cc left. then its gone.

it does not make sense for us. our 50cc will cost way more then from other producers. also the focus is on inline engines. for the most modelers it makes no sense to put a 1.5k engine in a 0.8k plane :-)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 AM
Nostromo1

I see your point. The 100cc had gotten me thinking about how the modular design could decrease production cost. From the marketing research perspective, I would pay $1.5k for the best 50cc considering the cost and build time of, say, a 1/4 scale kit. The engine adds a soul to the plane - don't want to compromise too much here. Sadly, I was quoted $2k for the remaining 50cc here in the US. Now that sadly does price me out of hoping to get a Kolm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.