Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

All about Kolm Engines

Reply

Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 PM
  #1  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Exclamation All about Kolm Engines

Hello!

In this thread we bring together all informations about running a kolm engine!

My name is Tom and im team pilot in europe (sorry for my bad english ). together with other team pilots and some skilled kolm users all around the world we try to bring some important informatios togehter like prop sizes/RPMs, temps, baffling and so on.
Feel free to show your kolm-plane, your install-Situation or ask anything you want.

Tom
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 PM
  #2  
Salte
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nrb, NORWAY
Posts: 91
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Wery good Tom👍😊
Salte is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:11 PM
  #3  
affas
 
affas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lier, NORWAY
Posts: 503
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hi and thanks for this thread Tom! 👍😁


Carf Spitfire and Kolm 135. The cowling had openings earlier but they are now closed with shorter trumpets. Readjusted quite a bit but works well. Pictures later.


Also a Kolm 150 on the bench with JGM gear for scale propell on a 3m Me 109

Last edited by affas; 11-08-2017 at 11:14 PM.
affas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:19 AM
  #4  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Sounds good! cant wait to see your photos :-)
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:17 AM
  #5  
flypilot
 
flypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NORWAY
Posts: 194
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hi Tom, great initiative and you are a great spokesperson for Kolm engines. Was great meeting you in Germany this summer at Horizon airmeet and maybe sometime when all the planets align we hope for you guys to be ours guests at Warbirds over Evje in beatuiful Norway ..

I am working on my first kolm powered model which is a Carf mustang with the Kolm 150 3 cylinder amazing engine...can't wait to get her finished and up in the air..

flypilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:27 AM
  #6  
flypilot
 
flypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NORWAY
Posts: 194
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by affas View Post
Hi and thanks for this thread Tom! 👍😁


Carf Spitfire and Kolm 135. The cowling had openings earlier but they are now closed with shorter trumpets. Readjusted quite a bit but works well. Pictures later.


Also a Kolm 150 on the bench with JGM gear for scale propell on a 3m Me 109
Here is Affas Spitfire with the kolm before modification :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4624.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2244227  
flypilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:55 PM
  #7  
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 231
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Tom,
Thanks for starting this thread. I think it will be a great resource for Kolm users as well as those looking at a Kolm for a future project. I am currently putting together a CARF P51 Galloping Ghost with a KOLM 155 IL two cylinder. It is my first Kolm engine. It seems that CARF designed the Galloping ghost with the Kolm 230 IL 3 cylinder in mind. I have had to move the firewall up about 3 inches as the 155 is a 2 cylinder. I opted to make my own baffling and not purchase the CARF install kit. I believe at this time they only offer the 230 install kit. I pretty much tried to mimic CARFs baffling by looking at pictures. I will take some pictures of what I have done so far and post them in the next few days.
Jonboy2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:21 PM
  #8  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by flypilot View Post
Hi Tom, great initiative and you are a great spokesperson for Kolm engines. Was great meeting you in Germany this summer at Horizon airmeet and maybe sometime when all the planets align we hope for you guys to be ours guests at Warbirds over Evje in beatuiful Norway ..

I am working on my first kolm powered model which is a Carf mustang with the Kolm 150 3 cylinder amazing engine...can't wait to get her finished and up in the air..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W6nvzB0Bkw
i heard a lot of your Meeting in evje. would really love to come over one day !
Mustang with a 150-3 is a nice combination. Keep us updated on you work. same install as i work on Voodoo at the Moment. i will also Show you photos when i start build the baffels.

Tom
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:27 PM
  #9  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Jonboy2 View Post
Tom,
Thanks for starting this thread. I think it will be a great resource for Kolm users as well as those looking at a Kolm for a future project. I am currently putting together a CARF P51 Galloping Ghost with a KOLM 155 IL two cylinder. It is my first Kolm engine. It seems that CARF designed the Galloping ghost with the Kolm 230 IL 3 cylinder in mind. I have had to move the firewall up about 3 inches as the 155 is a 2 cylinder. I opted to make my own baffling and not purchase the CARF install kit. I believe at this time they only offer the 230 install kit. I pretty much tried to mimic CARFs baffling by looking at pictures. I will take some pictures of what I have done so far and post them in the next few days.
you are right, Andreas made it all for the 230-3. but sure, an il 155 will also work out very good. Kolm offers a install kit for the stock-Mustang, but i don,t konw if that makes sense. the cowling on GG is modified to make the 230 fit.
Sure you get it done by yourselfe! send us photos so we can take a look at it.

tom
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 PM
  #10  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here some photos of the install in a 2.7m Mustang - IL155-2 :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19025232_635005993367598_6833102456554579771_o.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	2244285   Click image for larger version

Name:	19025309_635006093367588_2300680767619329061_o.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	2244286   Click image for larger version

Name:	19092789_635005873367610_5724783501283601143_o.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	2244287  
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:04 AM
  #11  
flypilot
 
flypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NORWAY
Posts: 194
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

That looks really nice tom.. mine is not that elegant, but im pretty sure it will work ok..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	66EE0CF0-868D-4C1D-BE1F-41F15CB2A4C4.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	758.6 KB
ID:	2244402   Click image for larger version

Name:	C126B952-F6FE-4784-8F7C-A7E900DFDA5E.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	734.8 KB
ID:	2244403  
flypilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:22 PM
  #12  
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 231
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hey guys, here are a few pics of the firewall and bracing I made for my Galloping ghost. I Used aircraft ply and then laminated the parts in 6 oz carbon fiber. I also applied carbon fiber to the bottom of the cowel before gluing in firewall. I had to move the firewall up 3 inches as to accommodate the Kolm 155 IL 2 cyl. The hardest part will be making the bottom rib piece that goes in between the cylinder heads and bottom of Cowel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	394AC0B2-4C35-43A9-865D-E02220E00D51.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2244569   Click image for larger version

Name:	D9D18758-999C-41BB-9F4F-4BA91223BED6.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	2244570   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBED6E25-A986-44C2-9A25-BD3F5A3A1775.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2244571  
Jonboy2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:43 PM
  #13  
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 231
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hey Tom or anyone else, do you guys happen to have a side view of the actual ribb piece that goes between the bottom of the cowel and the engine cylinders? This would be for the Kolm 155 IL 2 cyl going into the CARF P51 mustang. Although I have the Galloping Ghost I am sure the front cowel area is the same on both versions. I would need a trace or outline of the actual part/rib so I could just print it out and duplicate it on a piece of light ply. This piece is very challenging to make from scratch as once the motor is installed there is no room to take any kind of measurements on the bottom where the rib piece goes due to the fact that the engine is right in the way. I have a feeling that this piece would prove to be a nightmare to make with much trial and error. It would save me a ton of time if someone had the dimensions of this piece. I have attached a picture of the rib piece I am referring to. It is the carbon fiber piece on the right hand side. Although this picture shows the piece for a 3 cylinder motor install where as I just have the 155 with the 2 cylinders. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4A468E95-91B0-45D6-9C0C-755C3740338B.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	2244572  
Jonboy2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:07 PM
  #14  
hajowe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Altwies Bavarian, GERMANY
Posts: 23
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hello Tom
You are Bogner Tom?
hajowe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:26 AM
  #15  
2M86
My Feedback: (1)
 
2M86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Spilimbergo, ITALY
Posts: 191
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here my P-51 Strega #7 with Kolm IL-200 3 cylinders:


Regards,
Max
2M86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:52 AM
  #16  
vogel605
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lawrenceburg, IN
Posts: 305
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hello Tom,
I am installing a 100 IL long edition and I desperately need the carb extensions you were using on the 109 Fto place the carbs below the case, are these available from Kolm or did you fabricate these yourself? I also have a 120 boxer going into a 1/3 scale Camel. Keep up the great work.
Barry Vogel
vogel605 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 AM
  #17  
rbgetz
 
rbgetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 369
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Max, Your Strega is fantastic! really enjoyed the video. Please share more of them if you have.

JonBoy2, please keep the information coming. I'd like to see how the IL-155 project goes.
rbgetz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:06 AM
  #18  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Jonboy2 View Post
Hey Tom or anyone else, do you guys happen to have a side view of the actual ribb piece that goes between the bottom of the cowel and the engine cylinders? This would be for the Kolm 155 IL 2 cyl going into the CARF P51 mustang. Although I have the Galloping Ghost I am sure the front cowel area is the same on both versions. I would need a trace or outline of the actual part/rib so I could just print it out and duplicate it on a piece of light ply. This piece is very challenging to make from scratch as once the motor is installed there is no room to take any kind of measurements on the bottom where the rib piece goes due to the fact that the engine is right in the way. I have a feeling that this piece would prove to be a nightmare to make with much trial and error. It would save me a ton of time if someone had the dimensions of this piece. I have attached a picture of the rib piece I am referring to. It is the carbon fiber piece on the right hand side. Although this picture shows the piece for a 3 cylinder motor install where as I just have the 155 with the 2 cylinders. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hey!
The front cowl is not the same. The il230 will not fit in the stock Mustang.

send kolm engines an email. Maybe Michi can send you the part from the install kit and you make it fit like you want.
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:07 AM
  #19  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by hajowe View Post
Hello Tom
You are Bogner Tom?
no. Thomas Gass . Tom Bogner is a close friend !
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:09 AM
  #20  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by vogel605 View Post
Hello Tom,
I am installing a 100 IL long edition and I desperately need the carb extensions you were using on the 109 Fto place the carbs below the case, are these available from Kolm or did you fabricate these yourself? I also have a 120 boxer going into a 1/3 scale Camel. Keep up the great work.
Barry Vogel

i welded them by myselfe. All parts you can get from Kolm -Engines. I will ask in the company if the pipes are still there anywhere !

tom
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:16 PM
  #21  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here is a preview of my actual project. Took me 2 Years ... soon ready
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AB15FFE9-F709-432D-8B17-5D08830F2AB0.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	2244845  
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM
  #22  
vogel605
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lawrenceburg, IN
Posts: 305
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

That would be awesome, Tom,....Thank you.
vogel605 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:59 AM
  #23  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by vogel605 View Post
That would be awesome, Tom,....Thank you.
Sadly the pipes i used are not here any more. if you want to build it yourselfe, send an email to Office@kolmengines.com or ask Gtz Vogelsang to help you out.

Tom
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 PM
  #24  
flypilot
 
flypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NORWAY
Posts: 194
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The first run on the Kolm.. big grin on the face..

How do you tune your kolms in these tight cowlings..do you run them a bit lean as the air pressure is likely to be a bit higher in an baffled cowling?

thanks.

flypilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:12 AM
  #25  
Ixtrim
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 315
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Pure Music :-)

After install you make some testruns in the cowling. is everything sounds good.... fly it. if possible, i lift the plane up on full throttle, to take care that H is not to lean and the engine will not die.
but most time on the first flights you will find out that H is to rich. the engine sounds good on ground (about 5000rpm) but is too rich at 6000+. so you will Need 3-4 flight to set it up perfect.
to see if all Zylinders are adjustet the same, check the dirt in the exhaustpipes with you fingers and compare.

My friend Simon wrote a very good description. maybe he will post it here later.

Tom
Ixtrim is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service