Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

HobbyKing

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:49 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HobbyKing

Any experience out there with the hobbyking line of gas engines? Their prices are hard to beat for a guy on a budget. Are they worth it?
Old 11-24-2017, 01:06 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I'm sure your question will get blasted. But, I actually own and fly HK's Tr-32 engine. I have had it for 3 years. It is in a 100" , 17lb Piper Pawnee. This is one of my every day flyers, so it gets airtime. The engine is perfect. Starts easily, pulls the Pawnee straight up, I use a 19x8 xoar prop. I can't say enough good about this engine. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another or recommend it.

steve p
Old 11-24-2017, 05:53 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

When deciding "worth it" I would say yes if it were not for the fact they have so little customer support available they might as well not have any. Part of that "worth it" call is deciding if you are willing to gamble on whether or not you get a good engine.

You should know that if you have an issue, you will be asked to return the engine to China for service - at your cost, at a loss of a LOT of time to get there, get checked out, and then returned. On occasion, I've heard that in the case of an obviously damaged part, they may just require a photo.

You should also know that the RCG/RCGF line of engines they sell are identical in every way to the RCGF engines sold here stateside. The exceptions being support and the 2 year warranty offered stateside. Any engine bought through Hobbyking will not be supported under warranty here. You will be able to pay for service here, and purchase any part you need here. I don't think the HK price on these engines reflects the gamble involved well enough. Engines are fine, price isn't justified though.

Myself, even though I'm an engine guy that actually prefers to do my own engine work, I would not buy a Turnigy engine for fear of parts availability. Their engine lines have a tendency to go "poof" with no further parts support available anywhere, and I find that a complete turn off.

Bottom line, though I do a lot of business with HK, I'm pretty careful of what I buy there, with no assumptions made regarding value possible. Also, when deciding value, make sure you factor in freight. That can make of break many deals....
Old 11-24-2017, 07:41 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Im starting to think 400 bucks for a dle, even tho a similar sized HK is half that p rice, may be the way to go.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:03 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

What engine are you looking at? If that were known, maybe somebody will have an attractive option for you.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Jennifer Curtis

Of course second rate engines are worth
the second rate bargain price. The real
question you should ask yourself is:
"Is my plane worth risking a second rate
engine failure?"

Jenny
Old 11-24-2017, 05:45 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve(RollTide); what plane are you planning to put the engine on?

Jerry
Old 11-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer Curtis
Of course second rate engines are worth
the second rate bargain price. The real
question you should ask yourself is:
"Is my plane worth risking a second rate
engine failure?"

Jenny
So you are saying don't use DLE engines either instead of DA or 3W?
Old 11-25-2017, 04:26 PM
HunkaJunk

I have a couple, I have a new Turnigy 32cc gas engine that seems to run fine, I also have a RCGF 50cc that has over 500 flights on it in an Extra 260, although I don't think it came from HK that long ago, I think it's starting to get worn, still good compression, but the peak rpm is down slightly on the ground, but I'll just fly it until it won't fly anymore.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 11-25-2017 at 04:51 PM.