Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

G62 Engine (3.8 cu in) Spring Start

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G62 Engine (3.8 cu in) Spring Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:57 AM
mrcoolpop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G62 Engine (3.8 cu in) Spring Start

Hello,
I need some assistant with my G62 engine. Here is the problem, I am starting it as the instructions says. I crank it ½ turn each until it pop and start. However, ALWAYS after my second flight the starter spring breaks. It breaks at the 45 bend that goes in the slot. This is the 3rd spring that I have install. Anyone else experience this? Also, Horizon Hobby has been extremely supportive they have sent replacement each time.

Thanks,
Old 11-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Bad springs?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:23 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problems a few years back with a Benet spring starter, They sais I was winding it to tight, I finally to it off and got a electric starter.

Beside that I have seen a few planes destroyed with spring starter locking up in flight, If you read the instruction they say to remove and grease spring after every flight.???

Milton
Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM
mrcoolpop

I wanted to put a electric starter but they don't make it for the G62. I need another plan and the only option is the change the engine.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:22 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

How about removing the spring starter and the mag ignition and installing one of Milton's (RC Extreme Power) electronic ignition conversions. That G-62 will then hand start as easy as any engine out there. Seems easier than changing out the engine.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:50 AM
mrcoolpop

Now that sounds like a plan. Will google it and take a look at it...thanks Truckracer
Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 PM
mogman

I had some bad springs on a Q100 years ago. I was lucky to get one start before all the tension in the spring was gone. Very soft, no temper?

A G 62 on a mag is actually quite easy to hand start. It takes a different technique. With the prop mounted across the cut outs in the hub, put the prop at about the 3.00o'clock position and give it a REALLY good hard flip. Both magnets have to pass the coil at a good speed.As long as the carb is good and wet, it will start.

Last edited by mogman; 11-29-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:33 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcoolpop
I wanted to put a electric starter but they don't make it for the G62. I need another plan and the only option is the change the engine.
Actually, there is a BIG Starter for any large engine. If you haven't heard of Miller Belt Drive Starter, now you have. Works best with the Sullivan Dynatron Starter, and they have other LARGER starters. Here is the link:

Miller R/C Products - Persuader Belt Reduction
Sullivan Starter:
Starters

Only issue that I would warn you about; is to not fall into the prop while using the starter from too much push pressure on the hub.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:18 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcoolpop
An easy way out is to simply convert the engine to CD ignition. There are several persons that offer such a service and Ralph Cunningham the Zen guru comes to mind.