Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

2 stroke synthetic JASO FD oil for jet engine

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

2 stroke synthetic JASO FD oil for jet engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 01:23 PM
ramonfun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke synthetic JASO FD oil for jet engine

Hello, I nave been told that 2 stroke synthetic JASO FC oil is suitable for jet turbines, but has anybody used JASO FD? From its specs it should also be suitable, but if anybody has been using FD, it would be very helpfull to know if the turbine performance is fine.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:21 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I know NOTHING about oil rated for turbine use, but trusting synthetics like I do, my main concerns regarding the use of turbine rated oil would be it's capacity to:
1. Prevent corrosion
2. Provide fuel stability when mixed with gasoline.
3. It's ability to burn with no/absolute minimum carbon/ash build up.

Actually, as easy as quality 2 stroke oil is come by, at very reasonable prices (especially regarding what little I use, even when flying a lot) I'm not real inclined to experiment with something I know so little about.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:36 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

DO NOT use any 2 stroke oil in ANY Jet engine. If I remember right there is no turbine manufacturer that will warranty an engine if it is run on 2 stroke. Why not just use the right stuff since you can get 2 gallons of oil from Kingtech delivered for 90 bucks? One gallon will do 20 gallons of fuel.

https://pacificrcjets.com/collection...-oil-2-gallons
Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 AM
ramonfun

Thanks a lot for the answers. Wren, Jetsmunt and Jet Central allows 2 stroke oil as per manual. We are not that lucky here in Spain, the cheapest turbine oil you can buy is around 72 dollars a galon plus shipping. I came with the question because Jetsmunt allows 2 stroke with jaso fc espec, which is almost half of the price compared with turbine oil. I have a lot of litres of jaso fd (oil spec) and was wondering if somebody has had some experience with it.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 AM
bladeskiller

I have a jetsmunt VT-80 for my boomerang sprint and yes, the manual says that it is possible to use 2T oil of JASO FC or higher but not TCW-3 marine oil. My opinion is DON'T do it. For the first flights I used SHELL ADVANCED gold 2T ,full synthetic oil of JASO FD. The first time I tried the new turbine (bench test), everything was ok. The next day, I went to the airfield to maiden my boomerang. As I tried to turn the turbine rotor by hand, I noticed that the bearings were a little gummy. Rocked the turbine rotor back and forth for a few seconds and the bearings became smoother. I thought that everything was ok to start it but, the first time I tried to start the turbine, it failed because of low rpm. Got the plane nose down to remove the unburned fuel out of the turbine and tried again. This time it started normally but it took a little longer to start than during the first bench test. I made the maiden flight successfully and, after landing and leaving the turbine to cool down, I tried to turn the turbine rotor by hand to make sure that the bearings were free. And yes, they were. During next flights of that day, the turbine start ups were normal.
But next week, that I went to make some more flights, I noticed that the bearings had become gummy again, after the turbine was unused for a few days. What happened next was that I had two failed start ups before the turbine start normally. To make long story short, when I was using 2T oil , I had one or two start up failures on the first flight of the day because ,even after rocking the turbine rotor by hand, the bearings were still sticky enough for the starter motor to turn the turbine rotor fast enough for the turbine to start normally. So I took my decision. NO more 2T oil for my turbine. May be there is another kind of 2T oil of JASO FC or better ,that is less sticky, but I don't risk to end up with a fried starter motor or damaged bearings. That was in 2013. Since then I use SHELL or MOBILE turbine oil and no more low rpm start up failures for me. I thing that Gaspar recommends not to use pure 2T oil in newer manuals.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:43 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Order kingtech oil:

https://kingtechturbine.lu/Turbine-Accessories
Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM
ramonfun

Sorry to hear that Bladeskiller. Finally I decided to try both, jaso fc and jaso fd... so far so good, in fact I have not noticed any difference. I am running it in two turbines for almost one an half month, merlin140k and wren44 and never noticed any gummy bearings. The wren 44 has been a maximum of 3 weeks without running and the merlin 2 weeks, both of them without any spin and after this time checked by fingers and wheels are completely smooth. Gaspar confirmed me that jaso fd is better than fc, I am buying jaso fd in a local shop at 3 usd per liter (Valthor is the brand, I guess is a white brand, valthor 2 stroke red jaso fd). There is only one issue to report: I got one flame out since I shifted to 2 strokes... but I don not thing that the oil was the reason.
What kero are you using? I have heard that some parafine brands (for heaters) are adding thickener to avoid spills. If it did not happen again since you are not using 2 stroke oil this may not be the reason, but just in case.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 PM
bladeskiller

Yes, Jaso FD is better than Jaso FC. But depending on the chemical base and the additives of each oil, some oils of the same jaso are more sticky than others. For example, I use MOTUL 710 for my gas engines (Jaso FD) and it is much stickier than shell advance that is also jaso FD. Gaspar's recommendation is a mix of mobil DTE light and 1% 2T oil but I have never tried it. The only think I am sure about it, is that VT80 bearings do not like pure 2T oil. I don't know about other engines.
As about fuel, I use to fly at Dounis airfield. The owner of the club has a private helicopter and all jet flyers there fill up our fuel canisters with JET A fuel directly from the filling pump. Also we can find aeroshell turbine oil there. So fuel is not the problem. Of course its possible to use K1 heat oil , but the heat oil I can find in my country has a blue color additive, that leaves an unburned blue residue . Long term of using it may block the injectors.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJN
The KingTech oil is a mixture of a Shell ( Similar to Mobil DTE but lower temp specs) type oil plus an added synthetic oil , which they won't disclose for reasons
that would devalue their "specialty oil" as users could mix their own and save tons of money. As for fuel types used : Jet A is the driest , meaning the lowest
lubricity and then Kerosene , and then diesel which has the highest lubricity for the benefit of diesel engines with high pressure injectors and pumps that need the extra lubricating properties. That is why you may see more smoking in diesel fuel powered turbines.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:42 AM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Regarding Kingtech and other formulations, couldn't you send an oil sample to an independent lab like Blackstone to give you a full report? I use them to analyze and trend the oil on my cars. The report confirms what oil and viscosity I am using (Mobil1) without me telling them. They also test samples from aircraft engines, diesels and transmissions. Check out https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engi...s.php#Aircraft
Old 08-03-2018, 12:02 PM
stegl

Don't see why not ....